FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
State of the Church in Jakarta? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: State of the Church in Jakarta? (/showthread.php?tid=36858)

Pages: 1 2

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - SLCFranciscan - 06-08-2010

Be careful.  You could easily (and unwittingly) become a martyr for the faith! ;)

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - In nomine Patris - 06-08-2010

(06-06-2010, 10:50 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I'm thinking of working for a year in Jakarta, Indonesia after I graduate from college. Anyone know what the state of the Church there is like? I wonder if I could establish the first Gregorian schola in the entire country (since the Council, anyway).

Having just spent 3 and 1/2 weeks in Indonesia, all but 4 days of that in Jakarta,  finalizing and sucessfully getting a K1 Fiance visa, and finally getting my fiance over here, after months of dealing with the USCIS and homeland security, I feel I can give you some valid info. First, dont believe much of what has been written in this thread, its very peaceful there, and my Catholic fiance, who has many Catholic friends there, could tell much more than me, but there is no persecution of Catholics there. There are 5 religions there, and its live and let live. They seem to be very peaceful Muslims, nothing like Iran or Saudia Arabia. Its 87% Muslim, and Catholic, "Christian", Hindu and Buddihst. We went to Mass with no problems, of course N.O.

I am very tired now and will tell more, but a few things before I crash. Its hot and humid, and they have the worse drivers in the world, and the roads by and large suck. The malls there blow ours away. Really nice. Movies about $1.50 in a nice air conditioned theatre, in a mall.  And you can eat out there really cheap. White perople are "Bule" its not really slang, just their name for Americans and Euro's. And Aussies. You drive on the left side of the road, and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. Its not uncommon to see goats grazing on the side of the roads. There are hundreds, thousands, of beautiful women there, mostly without attitudes. I know, I now have one, and will be married this week, civilly first, to satisfy the immigration people, then the priest will con-validate it.

Signapore is super expensive to live in, you must be rich. Very few have cars, they cost a lot.

If you go to Jakarta, be prepared to hear the Muslims howling at 4am, to who or whatever they howl to or at. Many mosques, and they sing using megaphones. First time I heard it, I thought it was a coyote. Really. Woke me up at 4am; I thought I was back in the Cali desert. But some cof the country is beautiful, Jakarta is just crowded, with some of the worst traffic in the world. Check out Bali. Really nice. Ask anything you want, I need to sleep now.

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - Historian - 06-08-2010

(06-08-2010, 02:26 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote:
(06-06-2010, 10:50 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I'm thinking of working for a year in Jakarta, Indonesia after I graduate from college. Anyone know what the state of the Church there is like? I wonder if I could establish the first Gregorian schola in the entire country (since the Council, anyway).

Having just spent 3 and 1/2 weeks in Indonesia, all but 4 days of that in Jakarta,  finalizing and sucessfully getting a K1 Fiance visa, and finally getting my fiance over here, after months of dealing with the USCIS and homeland security, I feel I can give you some valid info. First, dont believe much of what has been written in this thread, its very peaceful there, and my Catholic fiance, who has many Catholic friends there, could tell much more than me, but there is no persecution of Catholics there. There are 5 religions there, and its live and let live. They seem to be very peaceful Muslims, nothing like Iran or Saudia Arabia. Its 87% Muslim, and Catholic, "Christian", Hindu and Buddihst. We went to Mass with no problems, of course N.O.

I am very tired now and will tell more, but a few things before I crash. Its hot and humid, and they have the worse drivers in the world, and the roads by and large suck. The malls there blow ours away. Really nice. Movies about $1.50 in a nice air conditioned theatre, in a mall.  And you can eat out there really cheap. White perople are "Bule" its not really slang, just their name for Americans and Euro's. And Aussies. You drive on the left side of the road, and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. Its not uncommon to see goats grazing on the side of the roads. There are hundreds, thousands, of beautiful women there, mostly without attitudes. I know, I now have one, and will be married this week, civilly first, to satisfy the immigration people, then the priest will con-validate it.

Signapore is super expensive to live in, you must be rich. Very few have cars, they cost a lot.

If you go to Jakarta, be prepared to hear the Muslims howling at 4am, to who or whatever they howl to or at. Many mosques, and they sing using megaphones. First time I heard it, I thought it was a coyote. Really. Woke me up at 4am; I thought I was back in the Cali desert. But some cof the country is beautiful, Jakarta is just crowded, with some of the worst traffic in the world. Check out Bali. Really nice. Ask anything you want, I need to sleep now.

What are the Novus Ordo Masses like over there? What are the priests like over there?

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - The_Harlequin_King - 06-08-2010

In nomine Patris Wrote:Its hot and humid, and they have the worse drivers in the world, and the roads by and large suck.

My mom (an Indonesian) said that the drivers are the worst part of living there. Unfortunately, I'm a driver type. I got a car years before any of my friends, I love the freedom of the road, and I hate public transport.

Quote:If you go to Jakarta, be prepared to hear the Muslims howling at 4am, to who or whatever they howl to or at. Many mosques, and they sing using megaphones.

I actually like that. I just wish it was, you know, Christian chant instead calling for Matins or something. Either way, I can sleep through a hurricane, so that's no problem.

Yes, tell us about how the churches are.

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - Historian - 06-08-2010

(06-07-2010, 06:30 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 06:24 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: true, the SSPX priest goes down monthly from my priory here in Singapore.

Ah, so it's one of your priests? (Priors?)

I also wouldn't mind living in Singapore, if there are cool jobs there. According to Forbes, Singapore is the #1 best city for expatriates to live and work. Do you need a Gregorian schola?

yes we do need one! Our choir is quite bad (made up of some laity who are not well trained at all and a few males who are much more experienced) according to my friends (i think they sing ok to so-so but i know nothing about music). I don't know whether they would want you to train and direct them, even though they would welcome new singers.

yes one of the priests goes down on one of the sundays, saying Mass in the evening and one on monday morning. Its usually Fr. Salvador or else some other visiting priest.

Singapore is a very materialistic and secular society. The cost of living is quite high if you are a foreigner, but the public transport and food is amazing. Ask me more if you wish =p

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - The_Harlequin_King - 06-08-2010

(06-08-2010, 07:18 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: yes we do need one! Our choir is quite bad (made up of some laity who are not well trained at all and a few males who are much more experienced) according to my friends (i think they sing ok to so-so but i know nothing about music). I don't know whether they would want you to train and direct them, even though they would welcome new singers.

I can only do Gregorian chant, anyway. I'm barely literate in modern notation and can't play any instruments. And even if I was commissioned to train a schola, I'm not an expert so it would take a long time. Buuut if a church desired, I could pick up a Liber Usualis and sing all the minor Propers of the Mass in full Gregorian chant every Sunday by myself, given enough practice time. It'd be kind of like the cantor in this video: http://www.liturgy.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=650#

Re: State of the Church in Jakarta? - In nomine Patris - 06-08-2010

(06-08-2010, 05:20 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
In nomine Patris Wrote:Its hot and humid, and they have the worse drivers in the world, and the roads by and large suck.

My mom (an Indonesian) said that the drivers are the worst part of living there. Unfortunately, I'm a driver type. I got a car years before any of my friends, I love the freedom of the road, and I hate public transport.

Quote:If you go to Jakarta, be prepared to hear the Muslims howling at 4am, to who or whatever they howl to or at. Many mosques, and they sing using megaphones.

I actually like that. I just wish it was, you know, Christian chant instead calling for Matins or something. Either way, I can sleep through a hurricane, so that's no problem.

Yes, tell us about how the churches are.

Well, I have been In Jakarta twice now, last Sept for 2 weeks, and 3-1/2 weeks in April/May. I went to Mass 2x at a really beautiful church outside of Jakarta in a city called Alam Sutra Serpong. The priest was very reverent, Mass in Ind language (of course) and if You go, go at least 1/2 hour early and sit near the right front, or you get a EM. The Church itself is beautiful, and around the Altar are statues of the 12 apostles, and Of course Jesus and Mary. In the back is a very beautiful Pieta statue, really a nice one. I would say this is a very nice Church, only needs a TLM to be awesome. I would go asgain.

I visited the Cathederal in Jakarta, its old and could use refurbushing a little, but still nice, classic Gotrhic (I think?) wood style. Nice grounds too. Peaceful place where you want to just stay and pray. Its near the American Embassy.

There is an English Mass in JK, at a Church called Theresia (I think fiance means St theresa?). Drove by on a weekday, it was closed, it looks old and it looks like tough parking, but thats common in JK. Your mom's right, driving sucks big time. JK is known for it horrendous traffic. I actually lost my temper there for the first time in years at one of the locals trying to squeeze us out. Where I live, if they drove like that, there would be many tickets given out, and, I am sure, a few fights. The cops there dont seem to care. They take bribes, usually $5.

But back to the Mass. The place to go to Mass  is about 100 miles, maybe, a place called Puncak, aka the village. That Church is called the Church of miracles and she said many miracles have occurred here, cures and miracles. It was a long Mass, and after Communion the 3 priests took turns walking among the congregation blessing the people with the Blessed Sacrament in the Monstrance, after a kind of benediction. During Mass!!. It was really kind of neat, different, reverant.  But be in the first 3 rows or EM. The Church is on beautiful, large grounds, lush green grass, and a couple grottos to Our Lady. Many nuns there. I can tell more later but now getting ready to go to Vegas for the civil marriage, to fulfill the K1 Visa requirements, then the priest will con validate. But go to the Church of Miracles at Puncak