FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Sacred Heart Cheesecake and much, much more, - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Sacred Heart Cheesecake and much, much more, (/showthread.php?tid=36959)

Sacred Heart Cheesecake and much, much more, - Historian - 06-11-2010

with cheesecake photos!   ;D  

Sacred Heart cookies, and an appetizer, too.  and Sacred Heart cupcakes, which the blogger suggests these would also work for celebrating the Immaculate Heart, St. Margaret Mary, and St. Valentine's.  this is also true of several other ideas on the blog.

sorry to post this so late; i wrote it earlier today and then our power went out for hours.
it's still 89ºF in our house, at nearly 10 p.m., so i wish i had some of these cold desserts.

EDIT: feel free to skip over my discussion and go to the link at bottom of page if you want to try an ice cream recipe tonight; you could do the "Heart Aflame Sundae" tonight, one of the "Trio of Sundae Solemnities."  if you've never made custard from scratch, heating milk over an open flame/hot burner, do come back and read what i say about that if you ever want to make the Bread Pudding for Corpus Christi, it's called Bread and Wine a la Mode, i think,  is also one of the "Trio of Sundae Solemnities." 

but, though it's a bit late for the Feast of the Sacred Heart today, all of June is dedicated to the Sacred Heart, so you can still try these recipes if you like.  they're also theologically appropriate for Christ the King, and can be used, with some alterations for the Immaculate Heart, St. Valentine, St. Margaret Mary, or anytime  

there are also recipes for a "Trio of Sundae Solemnities" for Trinity Sunday, Corpus Christi, and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

let's look at the last one first, since it's the "Heart Aflame Sundae" and you could do this tonight if you make a quick run to the store or have strawberry ice cream or sherbet in the freezer, canned or frozen peaches, though she's right about fresh peaches' red edge.  

what else could you use?  maybe a fresh pomegranate or plum for the flames, pomegranate seeds as drops of blood and/or crown of thorns.  chocolate covered pretzel sticks make a good crown of thorns, too, think i read that here.  breaking small chocolate-covered pretzels into smaller pieces might be even better, since there would be curved 'thorns'.  i'm sure you creative Fisheaters can think of more.

"Heart Aflame Sundaes"

"Strawberry ice cream or sherbet (to represent Jesus' heart)
peach slices arranged like flames on top (I used canned peaches in the photo above, but fresh would give that red edge to make it ever so much more flame like)
chocolate chips or sprinkles across the middle to represent the crown of thorns"

see the photo and notice she didn't use a mold, just shaped the ice cream or sherbet.

we're past Trinity Sunday and Corpus Christi but they'll be back next year and you could use these recipes at other times to teach your kids theology.

the first recipe, for Trinity Sunday, is simply Neapolitan ice cream (three flavors in one ice cream to represent three Persons in the Trinity, topped with chocolate syrup, strawberry topping and whipped cream, to echo the flavors and Trinity theme.  easy, of course, and a concept, not a recipe, but the theological underpinnings would make it great to use with kids, as this gives a concrete example of an abstract concept.  it probably would help a few adults, if they thought about it or, better yet, explained it to a kid.  

for Corpus Christi, there is an actual recipe and a fairly time-consuming one.  if you've never heated milk and whipping cream together before, you might want to use a double boiler.  otherwise, be very careful because you can end up with scorched milk if you don't stir constantly and watch closely, which the writer doesn't mention, probably assuming her readers have made custards and puddings from scratch before.  

you also don't want to pour much of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs at a time.  she says to add slowly but you also need to do it in small increments because you don't want the eggs cooked into lumps.  stir steadily, as she says.  cookbooks usually tell you this.  it's not rocket science but requires care.  i started making puddings from mixes when i was 12 and hungry for pudding, mom was in the hospital and dad in no mood to make pudding, though he often did if he was in the mood for it.  then i saw the recipes for custard, pudding, pie filling on the corn starch box and tried them, found out how much better they were.  soon i was making Boston cream pie, etc., meals, which was good because mom was sick a lot over the next five years, nearly died, before her problem was finally diagnosed, and dad needed my help.  

so that's how i discovered that you can cook if you can read.  at least nobody ever taught me to cook, i just read cookbooks, chose recipes that sounded good and made them.  now i'm going to analyze this next one.

"Bread and Wine a la Mode"

"white chocolate bread pudding (recipe follows): to represent the bread
warm blueberry or blackberry syrup (homemade or store bought) in wine glasses: this can be poured over the bread pudding after it is served to represent the wine
coconut ice cream or sherbet: this can be placed on top the bread pudding, and used to surprise your family...what looks like vanilla ice cream is actually something else--a reminder that the bread and wine we receive at Mass appears to be bread and wine, but has actually become the Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus"

theologically brilliant, but this could be too sweet.  i think i'd just make bread pudding, no white chocolate.  but i notice that while i used to like milk chocolate, i have preferred dark chocolate more and more as i get older, and i never really liked white chocolate.  so YMMV, if you're young enough to be raising kids, not grandkids.  your tastes in food do change as you age.

for adults, and kids, it might be better to use actual wine, cut what i think would be an overly sweet dessert.  or just make another bread pudding recipe without white chocolate, keep the coconut or some sort of surprise as a theological reminder when teaching your kids.  again, it's using something concrete to represent what is abstract, which is the way young kids learn abstract thinking.  

personally, i think plain bread pudding, coconut ice cream or sherbet and blackberry syrup would still be too sweet, even without white chocolate, would try wine or blackberry juice, since we have plenty of blackberries growing on our land and kids like to pick blackberries.  again, YMMV.  blackberry wine is another option, if you make it or can buy it in your area.

(or sloe gin -- see thread in Pig Roast)  ;D

seriously, a little wine doesn't hurt kids.  when i was growing up, we kids were given watered wine when we had spaghetti or lasagna and we weren't even Italian; it's pretty standard for Italian families to do this and kids can drink legally at 16 in Italy, probably drink less than teens here because it's permitted and they've been taught to drink responsibly from an early age.  they don't have to buy a 12-pack with their pals and drink all of it riding around in a car because they're allowed to drink at home.  

my 2¢ -- your kids are yours to raise.  i wouldn't give them sloe gin if they were mine, though.  that was a joke.

http://catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/2010/06/recipes-for-june-month-dedicated-to.html