FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Protestant Exorcisms - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Protestant Exorcisms (/showthread.php?tid=37554)

Pages: 1 2 3

Protestant Exorcisms - Miquelot - 07-11-2010

Does the Church recognize as authentic and efficacious exorcisms performed by Protestant ministers?  There seem to be an abundance of Pentecostal exorcisms, for example, and the belief and practice seems to figure more prominently in Evangelical theology than in even many Catholic circles. 

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Credo - 07-11-2010

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us."

S. Mk. 9: 39,40

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Zedta - 07-11-2010

(07-11-2010, 09:39 PM)Miquelot Wrote: Does the Church recognize as authentic and efficacious exorcisms performed by Protestant ministers?  There seem to be an abundance of Pentecostal exorcisms, for example, and the belief and practice seems to figure more prominently in Evangelical theology than in even many Catholic circles. 

Perhaps it is more 'popular' among evangelicals because of all the theatrics you can get out of it.

Sadly, unless the demonic are bound, after the exorcism, they return, like the bible says, with a whole lot of their buddies to make things worse. They're not stupid, by any means and often lay dormant for a time. Those, then, rid of evil spirit on the outside...practicing all that yahoo theatrical singin' and speakin' in tongues ('cept no one understands what's bein' said...kinda important, that one) all that yahoo, and still with an open wound in his Christian armor, that the legions climb through when the time is right.

True Exorcism is a Rite. It must be done correctly. Many centuries, a couple of millennia infact, have passed and those who have dealt with evil spirit keep records and share information...they have it down. These other yokels...for the most part...are treadin' on thin ice, because with every true exorcism, comes at a price for the exorcist in some way. The devil does not play fair, there are rules, it seems, that they obey at the right time, but in the end, they don't play 'fair'. They come and get ya for winning a battle with them. They ain't fair.

The spiritual realm, the preternatural is not a place for children like us. We are at the mercy of the Angelic...the fallen angelic, within rules. But if we break those rules and for example and most commonly, we make first contact...invite them in, we're in deep dodo.

Then, if ya go after them on what they have occupied, you are forever they're collective enemy.

These are not the grounds ya wanna go do battle alone and especially not with some 'Evangelical' wavin' the shield of The Risen Lord!...can I hear an Amen!

Oh Brother! Ya gotta do better than just be loud and superficial. The battle has to be fought with much contemplation and preparation...prayer and fasting to start.

Ya know...if you hunger and you can go to the grocery store, why settle for a Mini-mart? Ya just can't get the job done with second-best.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Miquelot - 07-12-2010

"Ya just can't get the job done with second-best." -- But can second-best get the job done is the question? 

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Historian - 07-12-2010

Anyone can pray, but exorcism itself is a function of the Church. It isn't the same thing that others do, even if it is somewhat effective.

Also, note that protestants and the like have all sorts of weird views. They babble, jump around or shout and call it the "Holy Spirit" and such things.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Miquelot - 07-12-2010

Understood.  But does the Church officially discount accounts of successful exorcisms among other ecclesial communities? 

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Historian - 07-12-2010

(07-12-2010, 12:15 AM)Miquelot Wrote: Understood.  But does the Church officially discount accounts of successful exorcisms among other ecclesial communities? 

The Church rarely comments on the doings of people outside the Church.

The Church has a proper procedure and structure for dealing with issues of this nature and the Church does not ever recommend that anyone go outside this.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Unum Sint - 07-12-2010

Depends on what you deem as success, as it may have been mentioned earlier it is true protestants can very well perform an exorcism of sorts, but it runs the danger almost in every case of only being temporary or badly done in which case it opens up not only the "exorcised" but also the so called "exorcist" in question to a future demonic possession.

In any case most protestants specially mainline do have the good sense to leave these types of things to experts, that being Catholic Priests of course. I can not tell you the number of stories of those people that have been processed that are refereed by their "pastors" the their local Catholic Church.

To Credo:

Let us follow that passage with Matthew 7:22-23
(Douay-Rheims)

"Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity"

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Baskerville - 07-12-2010

The book and following film The Exorcist was based on a Lutheran boy who got possesed. The family brought in their Pastor and he did a little protty thing and after nothing he did worked he said "you better call a Catholic Priest for this" I read that in a film article. Thats hilarious just goes to show the heretic Pastor knew where the real deal is.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Ravenonthecross - 07-12-2010

(06-09-2010, 01:22 AM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: http://www.olrl.org/stories/exorcism.shtml

Another reason why I ask. See above. Fr. Michael Müller also relates this same story in his book: "The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. [An excellent book and very helpful towards one's soul; inflaming it with a most holy charity towards the Blessed Sacrament, the Holy Catholic Church and also a despising of the heresies; especially of those heresies that deny the Holy Mass or that the Holy Eucharist becomes the true Body and Blood of Christ.]

Ja. Figured, that I'd repost this. I'd posted on my previous thread regarding alleged Prot Miracles and exorcisms.