FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope (/showthread.php?tid=37698)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Unum Sint - 07-19-2010

I have hope for the Eastern Orthodox our differences are quite different from those that we have with protestants and they view protestantism as a mental decease.

Though I think that any reunion is going to have to come through the way of the patriarchs and councils and the ancient sees that being Constantinople, Alexandria and Jerusalem are going to have to be brought. in to council and hammer out all our doctrinal differences just as it was done before the split of 1054.

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Tim - 07-19-2010

My youngest sister is married to a Serbian Orthodox. It has taken thirty +  years to convince him and his Church we are not Croats. Dense is not a strong enough descriptive for those folks.
tim

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - randomtradguy - 07-19-2010

(07-19-2010, 07:27 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote:
(07-19-2010, 07:17 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: Ya from my studies Orthodoxy doesn't even know what it thinks. Some will say they don't believe in purgatory, some say do but word it different ; some believe tollhouse doctrine some say its heresy; so there doctrinal chaos there whoch will never be resolved and noone cares. Sad state of affairs. All in the name of not being papist. I'm so glad we have the papacy.
Don't forget the hymn to pope leo before the schism that reeks of papal primacy and the byzantine patriarch saying thomas aquinas was wrong for not believing in the immaculate conception. They must return to the faith. If moscow does,  I do believe in domino theory for this one.

Tiocfaidh ar la

Pax

I've personally had some Orthodox tell me they think the Bishop of Rome is of some importance and shouldnt be regarded as just another Patriarch, but they cannot tell me *what* importance that is.  Truly they are a mess, although certain national Churches are worse than others.

Finally someone who understands. Its really messed up

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - randomtradguy - 07-19-2010

(07-19-2010, 05:10 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Most of the supposed doctrinal issues the Orthodox claim to have (or that Catholics claim they have with us) are non-issues.  The only real issues is the Papacy.  The other things we agree on but language has proven a barrier.

Things like the Filioque, the Assumption, and the Immaculate Conception are things both sides feel similarly about but these ideas are worded differently.  Both sides believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son (the causal origin being the Father).  The Assumption is called the Dormition in the East (even in Eastern Catholic parlance) and effectively says the same thing as the Assumption doctrine - likewise with the Immaculate Conception.

If they can accept Papal Primacy the other things can all be worked out in due time.

I'm not gonna lie, from my understanding some orthodox wouldn't even agree on what you said. They really don't have answers.

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Ravenonthecross - 07-19-2010

No real lost love there. My family has Croats; I am part-Croat as well. It is quite accurate to say that Croats and Serbs despise one another as Cain hated Abel.

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Resurrexi - 07-20-2010

(07-19-2010, 05:10 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Most of the supposed doctrinal issues the Orthodox claim to have (or that Catholics claim they have with us) are non-issues.  The only real issues is the Papacy.  The other things we agree on but language has proven a barrier.

Things like the Filioque, the Assumption, and the Immaculate Conception are things both sides feel similarly about but these ideas are worded differently.  Both sides believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son (the causal origin being the Father).  The Assumption is called the Dormition in the East (even in Eastern Catholic parlance) and effectively says the same thing as the Assumption doctrine - likewise with the Immaculate Conception.

If they can accept Papal Primacy the other things can all be worked out in due time.

I disagree. In order to for the Eastern Orthodox churches to return to the Catholic Church, the Orthodox bishops would all need to sign documents reminiscent to those their predecessors signed at Lyons and Florence. 

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Unum Sint - 07-20-2010

(07-20-2010, 04:45 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:

I disagree. In order to for the Eastern Orthodox churches to return to the Catholic Church, the Orthodox bishops would all need to sign documents reminiscent to those their predecessors signed at Lyons and Florence. 

Like I said brought in to council and given votes.

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - Baskerville - 07-20-2010

(07-19-2010, 07:47 PM)timoose Wrote: From time to time we hear a little something like this and makes for a little more hope. It makes me smile to think of Russia as an Eastern Catholic Country and their fierce fighters defending the Papacy. That'd be very cool and it appeals to my sense of history.
tim

It would be nice if Russian became Catholic they are the last Country that will stand up to Islam and the other evils of the world, in short Russia is the only European country not ran by a bunch of powder puffs.

Re: Patriarch Kyrill Says Pope gives Reason to Hope - TradCathYouth - 07-21-2010

(07-19-2010, 02:27 PM)timoose Wrote: From your lips to Pope Bendict XVI's guardian angel.
tim

Better yet, he might have more than one. I read somewhere that there is a pious belief that priests receive a second Guardian Angel, and don't forget that St. Michael the Archangel is said to be the guardian of the Pope and the Blessed Sacrament. So many to turn to!