FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Top Five Beers - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Top Five Beers (/showthread.php?tid=38555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Top Five Beers - Penelope - 08-27-2010

I've just finished drinking some of Dogfish Head's Theobroma (caution: the label on the beer is rather scandalous [but it's a small image--you can't really see it] and I haven't watched the video), and I must say: it's delicious. Now I'm enjoying some of my boyfriend's father's home-brewed Dortmunder.

So I'm wondering: What are your top five favorite beers? I've been thinking about my top five list recently, but I'm still somewhat new to beer snobbery, so I'm not sure I have a very refined list. I'll post it later on. So, tell me your favorite beers. I'd like to try them if I can find them in my area.  :cheers:

Cheers!

Re: Top Five Beers - Walty - 08-27-2010

There are so many different categories of beer that it's hard for me to make a top-5 overall.  There are straight up ales, stouts, porters, expensive lagers, cheap lagers/pilsners, IPAs etc. 

Best "nicer" big name type beers: Guinness Stout,  Smithwicks, Newcastle, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and Blue Moon.

Best crappy lager beers: PBR, Miller High Life, Old Style, and Red Stripe.

Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss), New Glarus Spotted Cow, and Delirium are some great microbrews and imports that come to mind too.  There's just so much stuff out there though.

Re: Top Five Beers - Scipio_a - 08-28-2010

My top 5 beers are

Dr. Pepper
Coke
Root Beer
Dr. Browns Cream soda
Sasperilla

Actually as far as beer goes, most of what Shiner brews is good.  Bock is the most popular, UD likes 101.

Re: Top Five Beers - Iolanthe - 08-28-2010

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Corona
Dos Equis
Bohemia
Guiness on tap

Re: Top Five Beers - 3Sanctus - 08-28-2010

Guinness, Paulaner, Boddington's, Strongbow (with the Guinness), whiskey  ;D

Re: Top Five Beers - Historian - 08-28-2010

Tripel Karmeliet.
It is hands down the best I've ever tried.

Re: Top Five Beers - DesperatelySeeking - 08-28-2010

Paulaner Heffeweisen & Sam Adams Boston Lager (i.e., the original) are the two I like consistently, time after time.  Nothing fancy, just good beer.

And, on a summer afternoon, for some reason there is just nothing like working your way through an "oilcan" of Foster's.

Re: Top Five Beers - Penelope - 08-29-2010

So I'm thinking my top five looks something like this:

Dogfish Head's Sah'Tea
Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale
Hoegaarden
Dogfish Head's Theobroma
Dundee Honey Brown

Okay, so I really like Dogfish Head, but hey, they're local.

(08-27-2010, 11:56 PM)Walty Wrote: Best "nicer" big name type beers: Guinness Stout,  Smithwicks, Newcastle, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and Blue Moon.

Hoegaarden, of course! And Blue Moon, the best beer you can usually get in a college town. Newcastle is what began my foray into the world of beer snobbery. When I turned 21 I decided I was never going to drink a Natty Light, not if I could help it. 

Quote:Best crappy lager beers: PBR, Miller High Life, Old Style, and Red Stripe.

PBR, bleh. Hispter.

Quote:Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss),

Have you tried Leinenkugel's Raspberry Weiss beer? It's almost like drinking a soda.

I have to admit, I've never particularly enjoyed Guiness. I have heard though, that the way to tell if your Guiness has been poured properly is to write your initial (or anything really) on the head. If you see what you've written at the bottom of the glass when you're done drinking the beer, you've had a properly poured Guiness. Anyway, that's what I hear.

Re: Top Five Beers - Walty - 08-29-2010

(08-29-2010, 03:02 AM)Penelope Wrote: So I'm thinking my top five looks something like this:

Dogfish Head's Sah'Tea
Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale
Hoegaarden
Dogfish Head's Theobroma
Dundee Honey Brown

Okay, so I really like Dogfish Head, but hey, they're local.

I take it you really like IPAs?

Penelope Wrote:
(08-27-2010, 11:56 PM)Walty Wrote: Best "nicer" big name type beers: Guinness Stout,  Smithwicks, Newcastle, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and Blue Moon.

Hoegaarden, of course! And Blue Moon, the best beer you can usually get in a college town. Newcastle is what began my foray into the world of beer snobbery. When I turned 21 I decided I was never going to drink a Natty Light, not if I could help it. 

Newcastle is probably the beer I drink the most since it's a lot easier to find in pubs or stores than most of the Belgian Abbey Ales.  Natty Ice is horrible, but nothing is worse than Milwaukee's Best, or, as it's known in its homestate, The Beast.  I never drank that or Natty Ice after I turned 21.  Beforehand, well...

Quote:
Quote:Best crappy lager beers: PBR, Miller High Life, Old Style, and Red Stripe.

PBR, bleh. Hispter.

Eh, yeah, I guess, but it's still a good crappy beer even if you're not a hipster.  That's how it won the Blue Ribbon like 90 years ago.

Quote:
Quote:Leinenkugel's (Creamy Dark, Red, and Honey Weiss),

Have you tried Leinenkugel's Raspberry Weiss beer? It's almost like drinking a soda.

I have to admit, I've never particularly enjoyed Guiness. I have heard though, that the way to tell if your Guiness has been poured properly is to write your initial (or anything really) on the head. If you see what you've written at the bottom of the glass when you're done drinking the beer, you've had a properly poured Guiness. Anyway, that's what I hear.

I haven't had the Raspberry.  I think it might be a bit too sweet for me.  If you ever get to Wisconsin, make sure to have a New Glarus Spotted Cow.  It's one of the best beers in the country (specifically if you like something with a little fruit taste).

I haven't ever heard about that Guinness trick.  There is a definite way to tell whether your Guinness has been poured correctly, however, even before you drink it.  Ideally, the Guinness has to set up for 5-10 minutes after pouring. If it's served in a glass you hit the side with a coin.  In the beginning it'll sound like a coin hitting a glass, but when it's set up it has a distinctly tinny sound.  Maybe it's all Irish blarney, but people swear by it and I really think you can hear a difference.  Guinness has to be done well to really get the full experience.

Re: Top Five Beers - CollegeCatholic - 08-29-2010

Fan of the PBR when lookin' for cheap stuff.  And I'm not a hipster.  :)  From Milwaukee, that's why.  :)  Also like the High Life for my cheap beer.

Top 5:
1)  Franziskaner Hefeweizen
2)  Malteser Hefeweizen (I'm in good company!  See below)
3)  Lakefront Brewery Riverwest Stein Beer (Milwaukee, WI)
4)  New Glarus Spotted Cow
5)  Bee Creek Brewery Hoosier Honey Wheat (Brazil, IN)

[Image: papst.jpg]

:)