FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? (/showthread.php?tid=39272)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - mistman - 10-06-2010

I want to know. Is it stupidity, lack of charity, hypocrisy, arrogance, what?

I have been on Fisheaters for 4 years and I've never insulted anyone here personally. There are opinions I don't like of course, and things I'm passionate about, but I always remember what I am and where I'm at. I have an obligation to take abuse in memory of our Lord, so I do.

In your opinion, what is motivating a man to call himself "Catholic" when he shouts "lunatic" or "nutbar" or "idiot" or any other put-down when he runs into opposition or an opinion he doesn't like?

Just curious. I thought about dropping out of this "movement" mainly because of this, but then I thought "I know that is what they want, so I'll stick with it."

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - ggreg - 10-06-2010

Perhaps some people are fed up with stupid postings about way out there conspiracy theories.

What do you expect?  Can you in charity expect people on this forum to enter into a debate with someone they think is a nutbar and who offers little or no evidence for their claims?

25-40% of Americans are worshipping Satan?  Or into a Satanic Cult?  Where is the evidence?

To any normal thinking, half-intelligent person this statement is obviously total and utter bullshit.  For one thing it is at total odds with all the Americans they know.  If you said "X out of 10 Americans is a lard-arse, loud-mouth, ignorant, over-sexed, irreligious, beer-swilling, junk-food munching moron who could not find Iraq or Afghanistan on the map", then I'd probably believe you because that is my experience of X out of 10 Americans (no more or less than the other nations of the world).  But I have never met an American who I remotely suspected was a cult member or a satanist and I know a LOT of Americans.  If you said 4 out of 10 Haitians is worshipping Satan through voodoo I'd consider it possible too because it correlates with what I know about them.

It's quicker and easier to insult you to get you to go away, lurk or shut up about wacky ideas with no foundation in fact which risk tainting the rest of us as nutbars and lessening the effectiveness of this site and winning over people who are concerned with the state of the world and wondering whether other rational, intelligent people share their concerns.

Why should we listen to or tolerate error and crap?  After all, we are not liberals.

- - - -

There are very solid arguments with VERY solid evidence that the Third Secret of Fatima has been covered up.  That is why we have heated debates about it.

There is VERY solid evidence that the Miracle of the Sun happened at Fatima.  It was not only predicted in advanced and witnessed by 70,000 people (some of them anti-Catholic) but written about the next day in a national newspaper.  That is as good as it gets.  That is why Fatima gets a lot of airtime here.

Even Garabandal which has some negative aspects about it, (three more Popes???) has some rather compelling and interesting prophecies and factoids not to mention cine film of supernatural happenings.  Something supernatural went on there, I feel sure of that.  A rational response to Garabandal now is see whether it happens before Joey Lomangino dies.

But some theories and ideas are nearly or completely without basis, fact or evidence.  So why should we discuss these any more than we should discuss the Green Spaghetti Monster on Planet Zog.  Why should we tolerate people who are annoying us by posting crazy theories not supported by any facts or evidence.

Lastly, this is the internet.  Don't take it too personally.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - Tim - 10-06-2010

This is just off the top of my head.

On the Fisheaters there are scandal merchants which deal in innuendo and insinuation. They post anything to get the fisheaters riled up. When it is pointed out that what they have posted is without substance, their greek chorus comes to the rescue and repeats in unison what ever scandal is being pushed. If any one disagrees they are liberals, neo-cons, less than Catholic, modernists, heretics, or you name it.

There also earnest people here that want to discuss issues, and yes some that have no training in the faith due to the last forty plus years.There also some here that put there conservatism/republicanism above their Catholicism, as if it were a philosophy or something.This makes for a combustible mix.

It came to head the other day when I got into it with another fisheater here. Quis had to intervene and send us to our corners. I have since drawn back my horns, and apologized. I also have a different perspective than most being a pre-Vatican II Catholic. I spent nearly forty years in the wilderness, away from the Church. Imagine my surprise to see half of what is Catholic in the NO, and the other half in the Trads.

This is coming to it's end, SSPX will take jurisdiction, I predict. This is causing a lot of stress, because it will change their roles from finger pointers to builders. Remember either you are part of the solution or you are the problem. The scandal merchants and the greek chorus whether they are conscious of it or not are here to maintain the split.

tim

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - ResiduumRevertetur - 10-06-2010

I know this lacks the insight of the other two answers you've received, but here are two simple ones from me:

1. Anonymity. In most cases you have no idea who is posting what, really, some people who are the most dreadful may not actually be Catholic, you don't know; and then again, they may be and that's unfortunate, but they are human with all the failings. Also, anonymous posters don't know who they're talking to at the end of the day, so it's much easier to be rude. Maybe it gives them an outlet so that they're not rude to their loved ones, who knows.
2.  :laughing: I had another one and I forgot it. ADD, sorry.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - Historian - 10-06-2010

It could be perception too.

Sometimes, people perceive insult where one wasn't intended or a person communicates an insult because of lack of finesse with text only communication.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - INPEFESS - 10-06-2010

(10-06-2010, 08:25 AM)ggreg Wrote: Perhaps some people are fed up with stupid postings about way out there conspiracy theories.

What do you expect?  Can you in charity expect people on this forum to enter into a debate with someone they think is a nutbar and who offers little or no evidence for their claims?

25-40% of Americans are worshipping Satan?  Or into a Satanic Cult?  Where is the evidence?

To any normal thinking, half-intelligent person this statement is obviously total and utter bullshit.  For one thing it is at total odds with all the Americans they know.  If you said "X out of 10 Americans is a lard-arse, loud-mouth, ignorant, over-sexed, irreligious, beer-swilling, junk-food munching moron who could not find Iraq or Afghanistan on the map", then I'd probably believe you because that is my experience of X out of 10 Americans (no more or less than the other nations of the world).  But I have never met an American who I remotely suspected was a cult member or a satanist and I know a LOT of Americans.  If you said 4 out of 10 Haitians is worshipping Satan through voodoo I'd consider it possible too because it correlates with what I know about them.

Couldn't it be said that 4 out of 10 Americans worship Satan through their worship of the material? There is only one prince of this world, after all, and the best trick he ever pulled was in convincing people he doesn't really exist.

In a sense, they worship him who hides behind an attractive screen, much like the Wizard of Oz. Rather than worship him specifically, however, they worship the things he does. 

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - LatinGuy - 10-06-2010

I think that there are a few factors at play:

1. The nature of internet forums in general.  My wife and I each belong to several different online forums on topics ranging from cloth diapering to Republican politics to Traditional Catholicism.  On every single forum, people get into intense arguments about any possible topic and often end up insulting each other.  The anonymous nature of an online forum lends itself to a lack of respect toward others that would not be the case if people were talking face-to-face.
2. Passion for the subject.  Many people here are very passionate about their faith, and sometimes this passion leads people to become emotional and type posts hastily and without proper reflection.  When someone posts something that you think is phenomenally wrong or stupid, it is a natural human tendency to get fired up and launch into a tirade.  Almost all of us have succumbed to this tendency at one time or an other.  I, for one, often feel foolish when I look back on some of my posts after my anger has cooled down.
3. History of persecution.  Many traditional Catholics have been heavily persecuted by liberal priests and bishops.  Older trads feel insulted and marginalized for wanting no more than to practice their faith as they've always practiced it.  Younger trads read about the history of what happened in the 60's and 70's and are outraged at what traditional, faithful Catholics had to put up with.  This leads to a persecuted, cornered-dog mentality that lends itself to lashing out.
4. Personal pride.  Some people are just smug and believe that they are always right and that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot at best and evil at worst.  These are the people who would insult you for disagreeing with them on anything; traditional Catholicism just happens to be the topic of interest for them at this moment.  If you were to cross their paths on a forum about dog grooming they would call you a moron for using the wrong shampoo on your poodle.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - CollegeCatholic - 10-06-2010

Douchebaggery.

And, probably anonymity.  These people know there are no consequences to their actions, so they can do what they want.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - Historian - 10-06-2010

It's also a lot easier to be a jerk to an avatar than to someone's face.

Re: What causes people to be insulting on a Catholic forum? - Augstine Baker - 10-06-2010

(10-06-2010, 11:11 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: It's also a lot easier to be a jerk to an avatar than to someone's face.

You tell me where and if it's convenient, I'll tell you what I think of you to your face.