FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea (/showthread.php?tid=39769)

Pages: 1 2

Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - Unum Sint - 10-28-2010

In another thread we were discussing how bloggers (Catholic) were trying to purify the internet from false doctrine. It reminded me that Rome has a way to deal with heretics which is proven way and that is through the office of the Inquisition which unfortunately has come in to disuse, I think it may be time to revitalize it to combat things like this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/28/3050725.htm?section=justin

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - OHCA - 10-28-2010

Wow - what a clear demonstration of how ridiculous the "what's right for you is right for you and what's right for me is right for me" "theology" is!

My favorite line is " . . . but others, especially men - those who need many women -  live in another way and need protection."

May I give this a whirl?

1 & 2:  . . . but others - especially those who doubt God and His Church, and take His Name in vain -  live in another way and need to be heard, too.

3:  but others - especially those who stay out partying and drinking late Saturday night and don't get up for Holy Mass -  live in another way and need their sleep.

4:  but others, especially teenagers - those who disobey their parents -  live in another way and need their freedom.

5:  but others, especially women - those who have unplanned prgnancies -  live in another way and need to have abortions.

6 & 9:  " . . . but others, especially men - those who need many women -  live in another way and need protection."

7, 8 & 10:  Ditto

I certainly am not saying that I am holier than anyone else.  But when I sin, aren't the Sacraments what I NEED rather than "protection" from the worldly consequences?  This notion will certainly bring a firestorm in liberal/modernist circles, but aren't the worldly consequences quite likely God's way of keeping us on course?

Thanks for posting Unum Sint.

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - Vetus Ordo - 10-28-2010

(10-28-2010, 11:56 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: the office of the Inquisition which unfortunately has come in to disuse

The Inquisition has never disappeared, it has only adapted to the times.

The competence to judge and trial cases of heresy still falls on the bishop of each diocese and, as the final court of appeal and supreme congregation for the matters of faith, on the Holy Office (CDF).

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - 3Sanctus - 10-28-2010

(10-28-2010, 01:28 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(10-28-2010, 11:56 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: the office of the Inquisition which unfortunately has come in to disuse

The competence to judge and trial cases of heresy still falls on the bishop of each diocese and, as the final court of appeal and supreme congregation for the matters of faith, on the Holy Office (CDF).

I suppose the question would be:  How do we get the bishops to use their authority against the heretics?

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - Unum Sint - 10-28-2010

I never agreed with the fact that the Inquisition was subject to the Bishop's desire, for those that are "squishy" in the Faith and by that I mean lack the stomach for confronting heretics or may even sympathies with them, I think the Inquisitors should be under the directive of the CDF and subject only to its superior and Supreme Pontiff.

In other words I want for the Inquisition to be independent from the ordinary to conduct its investigations and submit its findings afterward to both the ordinary and the CDF office. May be in order to have more effective office it might be necessary for there to be a CDF branch office in every diocese in the world.

Does this sound too radical?

(10-28-2010, 02:05 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:
(10-28-2010, 01:28 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

I suppose the question would be:  How do we get the bishops to use their authority against the heretics?

The bishops need to have the faith first. Most of them are heretics (IMHO) or just grown soft because of the liberal culture of the Vatican II Church.

Once the Church is back to normal, things will flow naturally.

(10-28-2010, 02:14 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: I never agreed with the fact that the Inquisition was subject to the Bishop's desire, for those that are "squishy" in the Faith and by that I mean lack the stomach for confronting heretics or may even sympathies with them, I think the Inquisitors should be under the directive of the CDF and subject only to its superior and Supreme Pontiff.

In other words I want for the Inquisition to be independent from the ordinary to conduct its investigations and submit its findings afterward to both the ordinary and the CDF office. May be in order to have more effective office it might be necessary for there to be a CDF branch office in every diocese in the world.

Does this sound too radical?

The Roman and Universal Inquisition answered to the Pope alone, I believe. Nevertheless, to inquire on any given diocese it needed the approval of the local ordinary, even if it was just a pro forma procedure. The bishop must remain sovereign in his diocese.

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - salus - 10-28-2010

The Spiritual Inquistion (The more important one) is still active in the Catholic Church today but the Temporal Inquistion has sold its soul to the devil as Kings, Presidents and politicians serve SATAN not CHRIST these days.

(10-28-2010, 06:16 PM)salus Wrote: The Spiritual Inquistion (The more important one) is still active in the Catholic Church today but the Temporal Inquistion has sold its soul to the devil as Kings, Presidents and politicians serve SATAN not CHRIST these days.

Right... ???

Re: Time to revisit the Inquisition idea - Unum Sint - 10-28-2010

Yeah I am not sure what he meant by that either.