FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do trad kids rebel? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do trad kids rebel? (/showthread.php?tid=39828)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Underdog - 11-05-2010

My 7yo has only seriously worn cosmetics for a ballet recital...and they were subdued colors meant only to prevent her features from being "washed out" by the stage lights.  I used a youtube video for the how-to.  There have been a few times that my daughter has tried out my make-up on her own...which event sent me running for the camera!  Sometimes when I am doing my own make-up...she (and now the 2yo) will come in and want some, too.  I learned a little trick from my mom........pretend!  I pretend to apply blush...and eye shadow...and mascara (you just have to make sound effects for the mascara...a light little "choo...choo").  Works like a charm.  They'll run over to dad...and bat their little eyelashes--it's so cute!

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - 3Sanctus - 11-05-2010

(11-05-2010, 02:15 PM)Underdog Wrote: My 7yo has only seriously worn cosmetics for a ballet recital...and they were subdued colors meant only to prevent her features from being "washed out" by the stage lights.  I used a youtube video for the how-to.  There have been a few times that my daughter has tried out my make-up on her own...which event sent me running for the camera!  Sometimes when I am doing my own make-up...she (and now the 2yo) will come in and want some, too.  I learned a little trick from my mom........pretend!  I pretend to apply blush...and eye shadow...and mascara (you just have to make sound effects for the mascara...a light little "choo...choo").  Works like a charm.  They'll run over to dad...and bat their little eyelashes--it's so cute!

That sounds adorable!  :)

Just for laughs...this was about 4 or 5 years ago:

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - 3Sanctus - 11-05-2010

Oh my!  Didn't get to hear the audio yet, but I watched the video.  I take it that was make-up she put-on all by herself?

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - wallflower - 11-05-2010

:laughing: :laughing: Too cute!

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - ruralpeace - 11-05-2010

@love  alabama

"Do you think Rural homesteading would be a good idea?"

Personally - yep.

+JMJ+

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - ruralpeace - 11-05-2010

@FascinatingWife:

We hate shopping, too. Which is why the thrift store is better for us - one or two visits and where done.

And another reason why I can't stand malls!

You'd be amazed at some of the amazing, out-of-print, Catholic books I've found there. For under a dollar. It's not always for clothes - I've sanded and refinished an amazing tongue-in-groove dresser (good work to do with the kids, by the way). Price - $10.

Solid piece of furniture. Not MDF! ;)

I am guessing that you're a man...not too many of those like shopping...and mothers of large families (or even of just 1 or 2 toddlers) usually don't take too much pleasure in it.  I, on the other hand, love shopping...I love being around all the people...I can talk yer ear off...LOL ; however, there are times when I'd prefer the calm & quietude of a used bookstore. 

The country certainly provides ample calm & quietude...but I don't think country living is for everyone and not everyone is for country living.  I don't think where you live makes too much of a difference in whether or not your kids rebel...I think it's more to do with parenting.  Some parents just press the wrong buttons...not the other way 'round.  Martin Luther is a prime example...his dad was so terrible that Luther rebelled against God.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - JayneK - 11-05-2010

We have homes in both the city and the country and they both have their advantages.  In the city, I like the libraries and universities and the access to the TLM (FSSP Mass is 10 minutes away and SSPX is 25.)  In the country, I like the space, the quiet and the beauty.  (Closest TLM is 45 minutes away, which isn't too bad.)

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Stubborn - 11-05-2010

After watching this thread, seems like shopping malls carry an awful lot of importance as regards the fate of trad teens.........silly imo.

Personally, my folks did not allow us to "hang out" at malls - but we did shop there on occasion.........so what. Personally, I think so long as the parents are guiding their kids from infancy like they are supposed to, shopping at a mall would not generally be a major issue.

In a nutshell, the duty of parents is to send their children back to God. To mold them in the faith. To pave their way to sainthood. Sometimes that might mean the kids gotta face occasions of sin just so they can be guided on how to avoid those circumstances through the example and/or direction of their parents so that when they are on their own and there is no parent to scold or guide them, they will (hopefully) habitually avoid or know from the example set by their parents, how to resist temptation.

IMO, school, television and the internet are much more dangerous than the mall, but regardless - parents will stand in judgment before God for the upbringing of their children in the faith - hopefully Our Lord will be pleased to see that the parents upheld their responsibility and took every precaution they could to ensure the salvation of their children.