FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do trad kids rebel? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do trad kids rebel? (/showthread.php?tid=39828)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Iolanthe - 11-02-2010

Ruralpeace, you make some good points, but what is your beef with malls?

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - ruralpeace - 11-02-2010

@lolanthe

My beef with malls: The intentional destruction of souls via consumerism.

Everything a kid needs to have his or her soul polluted and destroyed is for sale in every mall in North America. None of the contents are spiritually necessary. None.

We are called to detach. What message do we send our kids if the mall is a place of family "tradition"?

Just look at the intentional sensuality on the windows of any clothing store geared at teens. Funny thing - parents shop there, as well.

iHs

Your kids are going to grow up and discover that there is nothing inherently immoral about malls. They will then question everything you've taught them, and you will be in trouble.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - icecream - 11-02-2010

i have some of happiest memories from malls as kid. can't personal experience infuse things that do not have good intentions with meaning?

but i suppose we take that too far society will  have no standards. would it be a good standard to not have malls?

(11-02-2010, 11:12 AM)icecream Wrote: but i suppose we take that too far society will  have no standards. would it be a good standard to not have malls?

There is no point in vilifying something neutral. Parents should teach their children about sin and how to avoid it....not about how to avoid places that are just a normal part of modern life. That's called throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If someone can't go into a mall and deal with what they might encounter, then they are useless spiritually.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - ruralpeace - 11-02-2010

"Your kids are going to grow up and discover that there is nothing inherently immoral about malls. They will then question everything you've taught them, and you will be in trouble."

Lolanthe:

Pretty strong statement. Do you really believe exposing them to the malls will help them spiritually? And not exposing them will eventually lead them to reject their parents? 

My kids recognize the malls for what they are. And for what they lack. 

They get the same message from our priests. From the pulpit. They question none of it.

They trust their parents. And their priests.

Both parents and priests are doing their best to spend quality time with these particular children (mine, of course!) Much of it outdoors. As it should be. The foundation of trust is being built upon solid, Catholic stones. A consistent message. Part of the solution.

Family-traditions must be rooted in traditional Catholic identity and culture. Rejection of consumerism, and the whole culture that's rooted in it, should be a cornerstone. It is, in our family. And from our priests. Of course, many reject this part of our priests message... This doesn't surprise me.

My kids compare nature to man's creation... and it's a no-brainer. Thankfully. They have no interest in the malls of suburbia. For they are not part of our family culture. And never will be.

It's not the mall, as a building, that is inherently immoral...

It's the contents...  These days, at least, for the malls are not the same as they were when many of us were kids. Obviously.

What surprises me is the defence of malls. In their present state. As if they are part of our Catholic culture. Which they are not.

To each his/her own. .

+JMJ+

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - cgraye - 11-02-2010

The mall is awesome, because they have soft pretzels.  If your mall doesn't have that, I'm not sure what the point would be in going there.

Actually, no, I like the mall anyway.  It's nice to see families and couples and friends out enjoying themselves.  Sometimes there are some bad apples, but it depends where and when you go.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - icecream - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 11:22 AM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 11:12 AM)icecream Wrote: but i suppose we take that too far society will  have no standards. would it be a good standard to not have malls?

There is no point in vilifying something neutral. Parents should teach their children about sin and how to avoid it....not about how to avoid places that are just a normal part of modern life. That's called throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If someone can't go into a mall and deal with what they might encounter, then they are useless spiritually.

maybe we reshape society for the weakest? so no teptations

ruralpeace, it sounds like you're doing a lot of good things with your kids, but don't make the mistake of confusing hippyism with Catholicism. If your kids hate the mall, fine. I kind of hate the mall, too. But I don't pretend it's benefitting me spiritually to do so.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - introibo - 11-02-2010

Of course rebellion can take all types of forms. 
We always encourage our daughters to wear skirts and dresses, not pants, unless the circumstances require it.  I'm not ardently opposed to pants - I just think it's a lot nicer to see girls in skirts or dresses.  (Please don't turn this into a pants vs. skirts argument....).  My first two girls and my fourth, all teenagers, have had no problem with this.  Number 3, who is almost 16, is what I would call rebellious in this matter.  She owns a couple of pairs of pants, mainly because in doing some community theater, her parts required them, and she would wear them to rehearsals, etc.  But she toes the line at this point, wanting to wear them at other times. Not to church or formal occasions, of course, but often around the house and sometimes when we go out she "tests" me by wearing them; usually I argue her down, but once or twice I have relented.  A serious matter?  Maybe not.  I resent her questioning my authority and I get annoyed when she fails to understand my reasoning behind wearing pants.  As I said, I'm not adamantly against all women wearing pants; in some cases, some women actually look better in pants than in dresses.  But my daughter for one does not look feminine in pants, and this has become a sore point in our housefold, especially with one of her older sisters, who resents the rebel's attitude.

This same daughter also has much more, well, liberal tastes in music than I'd like.....I like classical, jazz, and big band, and yes, the tamer pop stuff..Classical comes first.  My older daughters all have their Classical and non-Classical likes and dislikes.  But daughter number 3 loves 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's pop/rock stuff.  It started with Elvis and the Beach Boys, but quickly spread to everything else of those periods.  No heavy metal or rap....but sometimes it gets really out of hand and particularily annoys my husband.  We politely suggest to her that she listen to some classical stuff once in awhile, but it's pretty much a no go.  I know this isn't the worst music in the world, and she has some sense of discernment as to what's good and bad, lyric-wise, but overall, her overall attitude view on such things is a bit lacking in depth.

I am happy to say that her faith is pretty strong, and she loves to read Bishop Sheen, oddly enough.  And she is totally dead set aginst dabbling in drugs, alcohol, etc.  (she is homeschooled, by the way.)  I think she will need lots of prayers and some sort of epiphany to help her move on to slightly better things.....

Christina