FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do trad kids rebel? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do trad kids rebel? (/showthread.php?tid=39828)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Scipio_a - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 11:01 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: @lolanthe

My beef with malls: The intentional destruction of souls via consumerism.

Everything a kid needs to have his or her soul polluted and destroyed is for sale in every mall in North America. None of the contents are spiritually necessary. None.

We are called to detach. What message do we send our kids if the mall is a place of family "tradition"?

Just look at the intentional sensuality on the windows of any clothing store geared at teens. Funny thing - parents shop there, as well.

iHs

uh huh...

The only stores that are typically not good for kids to view are Hot Topic and the other one like it.  The rest are pretty benign generally.

As for everything they need to pollute their souls...I'd be willing to bet good money is right in the home...even the purged home of a nut case.

Malls do not beget consumerism...bad parenting does.  Shops provide services that you can use...that's it, and yes, each one would rather you shop at their store...that's why they advertise...and if you want to buy more, they'd be glad to accommodate you.  Every time you make purchases you are actually doing a good thing in helping maintain the employment of others...so really by buying a lot for the right reasons you can consider yourself a really good Christian as long as you are not over spending and cutting into your 401K and your kids college fund and food allotment.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Scipio_a - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 06:47 PM)paragon Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 05:16 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: To a poster somewhere above...everything you need to figure out what's wrong....is contained in your post.

I'm convinced.

wow, that was easy...

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Stubborn - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 10:24 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: +JMJ+

Yes, traditional kids rebel. For many reasons.

One is that parents seem to think that the malls, their influence... the music... it's influence... is the same as it was when they were young, and therefore is simply part of growing up.

Today's influences are radically different than those of past generations.

Parents need to do their best to pray the Rosary as a family, starting at a very young age. Fathers - you need to lead. Our children need to see their dad's singing the Chant, assisting at Mass, and so forth. Catholic pictures, icons, statuary of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Saints... all help to create an environment in the home that is Catholic. Almost monastic. I've seen it work with my kids. They are not geeks. Not nerds.

Have good Catholic books on the shelves of your library. I go into so many Catholic homes on visits with my family, and see very few Catholic things... Touches here and there, but not to the extent where someone would walk in and go, "Wow, they really are Catholic!". Our kids (four) are already asking if they can have these things passed on to them when my wife and I are gone. They love them. They identify with them.

Get your children to Confession. Often. How? Lead by example. Especially the men.

Children's personalities must also be discerned and understood. Agreed. Huge. It involves spending quality time with our children. Quality time.

May I also recommend long walks in nature - God's Creation - morning, afternoon and evening. Suburban kids in particular are losing touch with nature and the natural world. They are disinterested. They get bored in nature, but not texting, surfing the net, or listening to their iPods. Nature is a wonderful place to teach reflection and recollection. Naturally.

Get your children wearing Brown Scapulars. Immediately. Instill in them a love, and a fear of Almighty God. Teach them, about the End Times, particularly Purgatory. Get your boys serving at Mass, and your girls in the choir. Get them familiar with Catholic culture. As soon as they are old enough. 

People criticize over-protection of children, then wonder why their kids go astray. We have a God-given responsibility to get our kids to Heaven. There is nothing in today's music or fashions, nor in the mall culture that has infected suburbia, even to the level of parents wearing the fashions of their teens... that is good for anyones spirituality. Shop as a family at thrift stores. Keep your kids as disinterested in malls as possible. If you can get them to understand there is nothing they need at the mall to actually live, and nothing that will help them spiritually at the mall, this is great. Our priests can also help here - have them over for dinner. Often.

Particularly watch music. As Fr. Wolfe says on AudioSancto - he has a tougher time getting cohabiting couples to purge their music collections that he does getting them to stop cohabitation.

Kill your television, as well. Get your children reading Catholic books, and books about the Saints, rather than rubbish of the pop culture like Harry Potter. There is nothing that will help a kid's Catholic spirituality reading books like Harry Potter (I know I'll get hammered for that, but I do not care)

Disconnect your kids from anything that can potentially hurt them spiritually. Ask your priest for guidance. 

Great post!

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - CanadianCatholic - 11-02-2010

Most trad kids (myself included) rebelled much worse than the non religious kids!

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - wallflower - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 07:45 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Most trad kids (myself included) rebelled much worse than the non religious kids!

I think that's largely a matter of perspective. What's considered rebellion for a trad who has been taught otherwise is just common place for the non-religious kid. Sex, drugs, alcohol, immodesty...those are all in a day's work for the regular kid. Their parents may frown on it all, but from what I've seen, a large number of parents are the ones teaching it to their kids anyway, or trying to jump in and "be a friend", be cool. A lot of what is considered to be rebellion for us, isn't for them because it's handed to them on the silver platter of "normalcy". To varying degrees of course.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - CanadianCatholic - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 08:00 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 07:45 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Most trad kids (myself included) rebelled much worse than the non religious kids!

I think that's largely a matter of perspective. What's considered rebellion for a trad who has been taught otherwise is just common place for the non-religious kid. Sex, drugs, alcohol, immodesty...those are all in a day's work for the regular kid. Their parents may frown on it all, but from what I've seen, a large number of parents are the ones teaching it to their kids anyway, or trying to jump in and "be a friend", be cool. A lot of what is considered to be rebellion for us, isn't for them because it's handed to them on the silver platter of "normalcy". To varying degrees of course.

Me and all the other trad kids did all that stuff!

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - wallflower - 11-02-2010

(11-02-2010, 08:37 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 08:00 PM)wallflower Wrote:

Me and all the other trad kids did all that stuff!

That's what I mean! You said that trad kids rebel worse than non-religious kids but I think that's a matter of perspective and what's considered to be rebellion. For you and the other trads all that stuff was seen as rebellion, but for the average kid out there it isn't really seen as rebellion, it's normal. Birth control at 16, just in case?... Ok!  A lot of non-religious kids have nothing concrete to rebel against because nothing is off-limits anyway. So it's more dramatic for the trad community, not because the trad kids are any worse than anyone else but because our trad parents, friends and family are more aware, and fearful, (and rightfully so), of the spiritual consequences of those actions. The sensitivity level is heightened. I don't know if a trad rebellion and that of a non-religious kid are comparable. The playing fields are so different. 

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - ruralpeace - 11-03-2010

"As for everything they need to pollute their souls...I'd be willing to bet good money is right in the home...even the purged home of a nut case."

Scipio_a:

Are you calling me a nut case?  Like you did St. Pio in another post??

You obviously support the current system. I don't.

As for shops in the malls carrying things we really need... ???

As for my purchasing useless goods to sustain jobs, and the economy, and how this makes me a good Christian... 

????

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - OCLittleFlower - 11-03-2010

Depending on the mall and store in question, there are useful and/or needed items sold in malls, such as clothing and household goods.  I have found modest clothing, you just need to dig deeper.  I personally don't like shopping for clothes online, since I like to see it and try it on.  Sears, a major seller of household appliances such as washing machines and fridges, is located at the mall here.  God forbid children are exposed to the sight of brand new stove.  :laughing:

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - mamalove - 11-03-2010

Ruralpeace, I totally agree with your first post.  This is how we have always approached raising our children (since converting)

Most of the families at our parish feel the same way.  Many of them have older children, and so far I have not seen one teenager "rebel" in the way that is feared!  Praise God!!  In fact, we have one Trad seminarian, one Sister, one NO seminarian, one Child going to Benedictine College, and a few looking for marriage partners.