FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do trad kids rebel? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do trad kids rebel? (/showthread.php?tid=39828)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - JayneK - 11-03-2010

(11-03-2010, 07:20 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: .
(11-03-2010, 07:05 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: As a teenager who used to hang out with her friends at the mall and never once "hooked up" with someone and barely even knew what that was as a teen, I take issue with some of the opinions expressed about them.  My friends and I would go to the mall either to buy things, hang out in the coffee shops, or window shop.  We really liked window shopping in the Japantown mall in San Francisco and also buying things there.  I can't ever recall doing anything immoral at a mall.

Same here.

I shouldn't have phrased it as if every teen hanging in malls is there to hook up. That was an unfair generalization. 

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - voxxpopulisuxx - 11-03-2010

(11-03-2010, 07:44 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 06:06 PM)orate Wrote: Just returned from out of town and just found this thread.

When I first saw the title, I thought,"Is this a trick question?"

Trad Cath kids have the fallen nature just as all other people do.  Do they rebel?  Yep!

I think the devil goes after them more even than others, as he does not need to tempt those who are already steeped in sin.

As an "older" parent, I can honestly say to you younger ones---don't think that just because you raised your child as a Traditional Catholic, even if you homeschool, get rid of the tv, and do everything right by Trad Cath standards, that your child is not capable of the most vile of sins.  Just as his parents are.  ;)

Pray, Hope, and consecrate them to the Blessed Mother.  Raise them as best you can.  And even if they fall they will know where to return.

Lovely synopsis, thank you!  :)
I can give full experienced concurrence to this point. Evry human being is unique...and unique in their sin life.(not that sin is unique)

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Iolanthe - 11-03-2010

(11-03-2010, 07:42 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 06:36 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 05:51 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: .
And here's the real kicker...if it is harder to have holiness downtown than it is in Bonneville....how much greater the reward for being a good Catholic downtown...seriously.

Does that mean if it is harder to be holy in a bar than in my kitchen, I should go to a bar?  I'm pretty sure that is not how it works.

Wow, I missed that line somehow. That's....messed up.

Scipio are you holier than ruralpeace because you're Catholic "downtown" rather than in "Bonnieville"? Because it's so much harder...and your reward will be so much greater...

You're both missing the point. It's obvious he's being rhetorical. He's not saying that people downtown are holier than  people in the country; he's saying people in the country shouldn't think they're holier for avoiding the challenges that go with living in the city.  ::)

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Anastasia - 11-03-2010

And here's the real kicker...if it is harder to have holiness downtown than it is in Bonneville....how much greater the reward for being a good Catholic downtown...seriously.

Does that mean if it is harder to be holy in a bar than in my kitchen, I should go to a bar?  I'm pretty sure that is not how it works.
That might depend on the particular circumstances.  If one happened to be in a bar, but offered his difficulties with temptation to God, he would receive more graces than if he had remained at home. Let's make  an imaginary policeman our example: he struggles with temptation to alcoholism, but needs to investigate some wrongdoing that's going on there. He can use his struggles as a means to more graces, because he is doing it out of duty, an act of obedience to the will of God just then. He finds it harder to be holy, but his heavenly reward is greater.  
And, after all, there are just as many temptations in the country as in town.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - voxxpopulisuxx - 11-03-2010

the desert Fathers were holier for avoiding the cities.

(11-03-2010, 07:57 PM)Anastasia Wrote:

That might depend on the particular circumstances.  If one happened to be in a bar, but offered his difficulties with temptation to God, he would receive more graces than if he had remained at home. Let's make  an imaginary policeman our example: he struggles with temptation to alcoholism, but needs to investigate some wrongdoing that's going on there. He can use his struggles as a means to more graces, because he is doing it out of duty, an act of obedience to the will of God just then. He finds it harder to be holy, but his heavenly reward is greater.  
And, after all, there are just as many temptations in the country as in town.

That sounds right.  Holiness comes from doing the duties of one's state of life, relying on God for help and strength.  Holiness does not come from where one lives. 

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Vetus Ordo - 11-03-2010

(11-03-2010, 07:57 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: the desert Fathers were holier for avoiding the cities.

That is true.

However, not everyone is called to be a monk.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Iolanthe - 11-03-2010

(11-03-2010, 07:57 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: the desert Fathers were holier for avoiding the cities.

Being a hermit requires special permission from a spiritual director. It is not for normal people.

Re: Do trad kids rebel? - Stubborn - 11-03-2010

Avoiding the malls is more about avoiding the near occasion of sin - of course that would apply much more in regards to avoiding gay bars - but for kids, avoiding the mall could mean avoiding certain temptations unique to kids.

(11-03-2010, 07:55 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 07:42 PM)wallflower Wrote:

Wow, I missed that line somehow. That's....messed up.

Scipio are you holier than ruralpeace because you're Catholic "downtown" rather than in "Bonnieville"? Because it's so much harder...and your reward will be so much greater...

You're both missing the point. It's obvious he's being rhetorical. He's not saying that people downtown are holier than  people in the country; he's saying people in the country shouldn't think they're holier for avoiding the challenges that go with living in the city.  ::)

I think you are right.  That does seem to be what he meant and I distorted it by taking that one line out of context.