FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why is Coke so darn tasty? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Why is Coke so darn tasty? (/showthread.php?tid=41009)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - 3Sanctus - 12-23-2010

(12-23-2010, 03:00 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I would just have switched to caffeine free.  Tastes the same to me.

I had caffeine free Diet Coke in high school once and (at the time at leasT) thought it was nasty.

That said, I used to drink Diet Rite, which has no caffeine, sugar (made with Splenda), or sodium in it.  It tastes pretty light compared to other sodas also, more like flavored water.  It comes in cola, tangerine, and white grape flavors.

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - miss_fluffy - 12-23-2010

(12-23-2010, 02:58 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:
(12-23-2010, 02:50 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: I gave up Coca-Cola almost two years ago, although I've had a little here and there since then.  Before then, however, I drank it daily, probably close to one 12-pack per day.  My new drink of choice has been Gatorade (Cool Blue, Orange, Glacier Freeze, etc.).

A roommate of mine in college drank about a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper (or another soda if that wasn't available) per day.  He would also regularly drink the massive Jolt Colas (they have to be at least 24 ounces, though I don't know their exact size).  The young man had to take medication for restless leg syndrome starting in the middle of college and he seemed unable (or unwilling) to understand the connection between that (and the fact he would sleep only 4-6 hours a night and fall asleep during the day when he got exhausted) and the fact he was consuming something int he order of 15/16 cans of soda worth of caffeine per day.
I had restless leg syndrome that went away when I quit smoking.  Did your roomie smoke?

(12-23-2010, 03:07 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote:
(12-23-2010, 02:58 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:
(12-23-2010, 02:50 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: I gave up Coca-Cola almost two years ago, although I've had a little here and there since then.  Before then, however, I drank it daily, probably close to one 12-pack per day.  My new drink of choice has been Gatorade (Cool Blue, Orange, Glacier Freeze, etc.).

A roommate of mine in college drank about a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper (or another soda if that wasn't available) per day.  He would also regularly drink the massive Jolt Colas (they have to be at least 24 ounces, though I don't know their exact size).  The young man had to take medication for restless leg syndrome starting in the middle of college and he seemed unable (or unwilling) to understand the connection between that (and the fact he would sleep only 4-6 hours a night and fall asleep during the day when he got exhausted) and the fact he was consuming something int he order of 15/16 cans of soda worth of caffeine per day.
I had restless leg syndrome that went away when I quit smoking.  Did your roomie smoke?

He smoked hookah and the very rare cigar, but I think the restless leg syndrome started before he became a regular hookah smoker.  It also wasn't something he ever talked about (or was medicated for) until he started drinking so much caffeine (that was the same time he go to where he'd sleep so little and fall asleep in the middle of the day when we were hanging out).

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - Baskerville - 12-23-2010

All I can say is Yay! Coke. Its the best.

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - cgraye - 12-23-2010

Coke, and soda in general, is great.  I don't think I could drink two liters a day, but I'd have a few cans a day if it wasn't so unhealthy.  Coke, 7-up, orange, grape, Dr. Pepper, ginger ale...all great.

I probably wouldn't prefer it to wine for a really nice meal, either, but it would be a close second.

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - CollegeCatholic - 12-23-2010

My department's head drinks Tab like it's water. 

I saw him carrying a case in to school one morning, and he has his own minifridge for it.

That said, I haven't had much Coke, but the sugar-Coke I had in Germany (made with sugar!) was tasty. 

I like beer though.  :)

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - Baskerville - 12-23-2010

(12-23-2010, 05:02 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: My department's head drinks Tab like it's water. 

I drink Coke like its water. I know its not good for you but meh.

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - dymphna17 - 12-23-2010

I'm trying to get off the soda (Dr. Pepper) since becoming diabetic.  So far no dice.  My willpower sucks and soda is sooooooo good.  Haven't found a diet I can live with yet.  :(

Re: Why is Coke so darn tasty? - miss_fluffy - 12-23-2010

I don't know how people drink coke like it's water.  I feel slightly ill after drinking just one 12 oz can.  Goes to show how different people's metabolism's can be.

(12-23-2010, 05:19 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: I'm trying to get off the soda (Dr. Pepper) since becoming diabetic.  So far no dice.  My willpower sucks and soda is sooooooo good.  Haven't found a diet I can live with yet.  :(

The sugar and caffeine in soda are both very addictive.  Try to cut down over time, using a scheduled plan for quitting and moving to another beverage (maybe tea with splenda or something?) would make things easier.