FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
unforgivable sins - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: unforgivable sins (/showthread.php?tid=41181)

Pages: 1 2

unforgivable sins - verenaerin - 12-30-2010

Thinking about my previous thread, it reminded me of another question I had. I think I heard somewhere that sins against the Holy Ghost are unforgivable. Is this true? and what are they?

Re: unforgivable sins - TradDad - 12-30-2010

The sin against the Holy Ghost is to refuse him entry into your soul, i.e., disbelief.

Re: unforgivable sins - Vincentius - 12-31-2010

These are the unpardonable sins against the Holy Ghost: 

despair
presumption
final impenitence (as opposed to final perseverance)
obstinacy in sin
impugning the known truth
envy of another's spiritual welfare.

Re: unforgivable sins - Historian - 12-31-2010

(12-31-2010, 10:20 AM)Vincentius Wrote: These are the unpardonable sins against the Holy Ghost:   

despair
presumption
obstinacy in sin
where are those from, the baltimore catechism?

Re: unforgivable sins - Petertherock - 12-31-2010

Well, I guess according to Vince I am going to Hell because I have done a few of those so I guess I might as well just live it up in this life and wait for my time in Hell.

The unpardonable sin is being a trad Catholic...don't believe me? Just try going to a priest who is "regularized" in the Roman Church according to the Pope and kneeling to receive Communion on the tongue. Then watch as Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Bill Clinton or any pro abortion Democrat goes up to receive Communion in the paw.

Re: unforgivable sins - Historian - 12-31-2010

(12-31-2010, 08:22 PM)Petertherock Wrote: Well, I guess according to Vince I am going to Hell because I have done a few of those so I guess I might as well just live it up in this life and wait for my time in Hell.
I cant believe some of those listed are unforgivable...

This is from some protty site...but I think it gives a better explanation then anyone here has...

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html

"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come"

"The unforgivable sin of speaking against the Holy Spirit has been interpreted in various ways, but the true meaning cannot contradict other Scripture. It is unequivocally clear that the one unforgivable sin is permanently rejecting Christ (John 3:18; 3:36). Thus, speaking against the Holy Spirit is equivalent to rejecting Christ with such finality that no future repentance is possible. 'My spirit shall not always strive with man,' God said long ago (Genesis 6:3).

…In the context of this particular passage (Matthew 12:22-32), Jesus had performed a great miracle of creation, involving both healing and casting out a demon, but the Pharisees rejected this clear witness of the Holy Spirit. Instead they attributed His powers to Satan, thus demonstrating an attitude permanently resistant to the Spirit, and to the deity and saving Gospel of Christ" [Henry M. Morris, The Defender's Study Bible (Iowa Falls, Iowa: World Bible Publishers, 1995), emphasis added.].

What is the difference between the two types of blasphemy described in Matthew 12? Why is the sacrifice of Christ ineffective as an atonement for the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Respected Christian theologian Dr. F.F. Bruce writes,

"…Speaking against the Son of man might be due to a failure to recognize Him for what He is. So Paul recalls how in his pre-Christian days he thought it his duty to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. But if, having seen the light on the Damascus road, he had deliberately closed his eyes to it and kicked out against the goad which was directing him into the true path, that would have been the sin against the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit persuades and enables men to accept Christ and enjoy the saving benefits of the gospel [John 16:8; 1 Corinthians 2:12-14; Acts 7:51], but if anyone refuses to submit to the Spirit's gracious constraint, preferring to call good evil and evil good, how can the gospel avail for him? The deliberate refusal of the grace of God is the one sin which by its very nature is irremediable" [F.F. Bruce, Answers to Questions (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1973), pp. 46-47.].

"Anyone who rejects the Holy Spirit's convicting influence and does not repent will not be forgiven, 'neither in this world, neither in the world to come' (Matthew 12:32)" [Ray Comfort, “The Unpardonable Sin,” The Evidence Bible (Gainesville, Florida: Bridge-Logo Publishers, 2001).].

Re: unforgivable sins - 3Sanctus - 12-31-2010

(12-31-2010, 10:20 AM)Vincentius Wrote: These are the unpardonable sins against the Holy Ghost:   

despair
presumption
obstinacy in sin

If these are all unforgivable, even if you do your best to repent and change your ways, then I might as well stop trying now...are they truly unpardonable - not matter what?

Re: unforgivable sins - Grasshopper - 12-31-2010

(12-31-2010, 09:18 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:

despair
presumption
obstinacy in sin

If these are all unforgivable, even if you do your best to repent and change your ways, then I might as well stop trying now...are they truly unpardonable - not matter what?

Read the article that Peter the Rock posted immediately before yours. My understanding of "the unforgiveable sin" has always been the same as how it is described in that article. The only unforgiveable sin is permanent rejection of God. If you are capable of repenting and changing your ways, then it's not permanent, and you're off the hook.