FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
shaking hands - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: About Men (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: shaking hands (/showthread.php?tid=42)

Pages: 1 2

shaking hands - usqueadmortem - 06-05-2005

Okay, whats the deal with women shaking hands more firmly than men? What happened to women being dainty? I find it so much more attractive...
Lol, whenever a women tries to "butch shake" my hand, I merely take hold of her fingers and raise her hand gently. I've gotten a few weird looks and evil eyes, but some women seem to like it.

When a man shakes a mans hand, THEN shaking firmly is a sign of mutual esteem and respect. SHEESH! [Image: doh.gif]

shaking hands - KyrieEleison - 06-05-2005

<FONT size=3>I think that the women are trying to remind that you must kiss her hand not shake it! Although in this peasant culture of ours, this is no longer practiced. C'est pas mal!</FONT>

shaking hands - Historian - 06-06-2005

Usque,

A firm handshake means a person has character.  I can't stand those "wet noodle" handshakes.

shaking hands - ernestus - 06-06-2005

RabidWolverine Wrote:Usque,

A firm handshake means a person has character.  I can't stand those "wet noodle" handshakes.

i am very suspicious of those wimpy hand shakes. to me, that is like a red light, or cautionary sign that this person is not to be trusted.

the masonic handshake
[Image: TTH01handshake.125x153.gif]

boy scout handshake

[Image: shake.gif]

japanese handshake
[Image: ojigi.GIF]

shaking hands - KyrieEleison - 06-06-2005

[Image: 13161100.jpg]

shaking hands - usqueadmortem - 06-06-2005

HAHAHAHA, Wet noodle handshakes. I hear that.

This picture above is exactly what I mean. Where have you gone European culture? [Image: bawl.gif] Feminism is such a crock of dung.

As a seminarian though, the kissing of the hand is too flirtatious. But see the way he grasps her fingers?

shaking hands - Historian - 06-07-2005

too flirtatious? Do you mean inherently, or simply the way it is associated today?

I think that it is inherently a good thing, and there is no need to it to be flirtatious unless it is intended to be. I'm not flirting with the bishop when I kneel and kiss his ring!

shaking hands - Historian - 06-08-2005

If a woman grips my hand firmly I do it back proprotionately to my strength, which I'm sure is hurting their hand to some degree. I hate femi-nazis and will do what I can to put them in their place.

If they don't want to act like a woman, I'll treat'em like a man.

shaking hands - HMiS - 06-09-2005

<FONT size=3>
Quote:<FONT size=3>I think that the women are trying to remind that you must kiss her hand not shake it! Although in this peasant culture of ours, this is no longer practiced. C'est pas mal!</FONT>
</FONT>

"Küss' die Hand, gnädige Frau." The Austrians do have the "19th century" mentality and etiquette. I like it. Some Flemish and Dutch women and girls would however think: "He's crazy. Such old fashioned ways."
You can do it still in Western Europe, but it would be considered nowadays indeed flirtatious so it's unappropriate for seminarians and priests I think.
There was a German 1920s hit (Schlager) which was titled: "Ich küsse Ihre Hand, Madame".

[Image: HAndkuss.jpg]

Etiquette in Vorarlberg, Austria.

[Image: 47.jpg]

shaking hands - usqueadmortem - 06-09-2005

"too flirtatious? Do you mean inherently, or simply the way it is associated today?"
Not inherently no, just nowadays. If you want to make a women blush (in America at least), kiss her hand.