FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? (/showthread.php?tid=42231)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Stubborn - 02-14-2011

Smoking is like anything else - If you're gonna purposely chain smoke for the purpose of killing yourself, then it's a sin.
Same if you wanted to drink enough water to kill yourself - that would be a sin.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - SaintSebastian - 02-14-2011

Here's a cigar box label featuring St. Pius X.
[Image: cir025.jpg]

And here's another:
[Image: 1E9DF00Z.jpg]

There's a story I've heard where he called in some bad Roman priests to reprimand them for certain bad behavior. He offered them some cigars. They declined, stating they didn't participate in such vice. He responded that if it was a vice, they surely would have partaken--or something to that effect.

Someone already posted a pictures of Bl. John XXIII smoking a cigarette. Here's Bl. Pier Georgio Frassati smoking a pipe:

[Image: Pier+Giorgio+Frassati.jpg]

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Aragon - 02-14-2011

That's a cool story. Pius X sounds awesome.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - AverageJohn - 02-14-2011

Towards a Theology of Pipe Smoking, a book written by Arthur D Yunker in 1970. It is only 73 pages long and can be downloaded in two parts easily.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze43wza/theology.html

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - 3Sanctus - 02-14-2011

(02-12-2011, 04:50 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Forgive me father for I have sinned...I ate a whole bag of mini Baby Ruths....

Seriously..you would be run out of the confessional.

Eating that much candy sounds like gluttony to me.  The fact it's candy being less the issue than the fact a whole bag of mini candies is a LOT of food.  I would know, from experience...

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - JacafamalaRedux - 02-14-2011

Fish Eaters Forum is an addiction that will keep you skinny and cancer free.... maybe it won't keep you out a the Confessional, but nothing's perfect. So put that in yer pipe and smoke it.  :P

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Christus Imperat - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 08:49 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Here's a cigar box label featuring St. Pius X.
[Image: cir025.jpg]

And here's another:
[Image: 1E9DF00Z.jpg]

There's a story I've heard where he called in some bad Roman priests to reprimand them for certain bad behavior. He offered them some cigars. They declined, stating they didn't participate in such vice. He responded that if it was a vice, they surely would have partaken--or something to that effect.

Someone already posted a pictures of Bl. John XXIII smoking a cigarette. Here's Bl. Pier Georgio Frassati smoking a pipe:

[Image: Pier+Giorgio+Frassati.jpg]

You can also get Society of Saint Pius X shot glasses.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Revixit - 02-14-2011

C*ndyl*nd.

Modified per Jaca's request so this thread won't turn up on searches.  Those who don't get it, see Scipio's thread on C*ndyl*nd trads, or certain examples herein.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - HolySouls - 02-14-2011

(02-12-2011, 06:31 PM)Baskerville Wrote: The Church hasn't proclaimed it a sin so guess what... it isnt. Pope Pius IX was a cigar smoker. Padre Pio even smoked.

OK, I'm tired of every time someone wants to prove something is right or wrong, they pull out the Padre Pio card.  I don't believe smoking is a sin (except it's a secular sin here in California), but I want some proof that Padre Pio smoked.  I don't want a site linking to a site that makes the same claim without some proof to back it up, either; a link to the official Padre Pio site in San Giovanni Rotondo, where it clearly states that Padre Pio smoked on a regular basis, maybe mentioned his giving it up for Lent or something -- that's what I'm looking for.

Please provide such a source.  Thank you.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - JacafamalaRedux - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 12:42 PM)Revixit Wrote: Candyland.

Shsssh!!! From now on it's C_ndyl_nd, okay? That way people'll stop googling us up to see what idiot threads we get going here.