FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? (/showthread.php?tid=42231)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - JayneK - 02-12-2011

(02-12-2011, 04:50 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Forgive me father for I have sinned...I ate a whole bag of mini Baby Ruths....

Seriously..you would be run out of the confessional.

I would expect a good priest would take the sin of gluttony seriously.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Habitual_Ritual - 02-12-2011

I guess GK Chesterton must in the deepest circle  of Hell:

"The thing[smoking] is a typical mild human indulgence, enjoyed by most people and over-enjoyed by a few people, a thing like scent or sweetmeats.  Realize that the reality which we all know it to be, and then measure that mad abyss of disproportion, on the other side of which are the eight States holding up their streets with policemen and treating every man who is carrying a cigarette as if he were carrying a bomb.  Thus all our cranks of culture are leading us back (or onward) into barbarism.  For the essence of barbarism is idolatry; that is the worship of something other than the best reason and justice of the Universe.  Idolatry is committed, not merely by setting up false gods, but also by setting up false devils; by making men afraid of war or alcohol, or economic law, when they should be afraid of spiritual corruption and cowardice.  The Moslems say, "There is no God but God."  The English Moslems, the abstainers, have to learn and remember also that there is no Satan but Satan. "

http://badgercatholic.blogspot.com/2010/05/chesterton-on-smoking.html

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Christopher - 02-12-2011

...Because it isn't. All things in moderation.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - St. Drogo - 02-12-2011

I believe this sermon has been posted before, but I will post it again. http://www.sensustraditionis.org/webaudio/Sermons/Disk5/Smoking.mp3 QED

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Mithrandylan - 02-12-2011

I'm a smoker and have been since I was a teenager.  I enjoy smoking quite a bit- cigarettes rolled or in a pack, cigars, cigarellos, hooka- whatever.  Just so you know where I'm coming from.

the one point that you are making that seems to be ignored is that we are just now learning about the dangers of primary and secondhand smoke.  Knowing this, arguments about "classic or nostalgic" figures of notoriety smoking, hence somking= not that bad are made moot.  In fact, using Churchill or Chesteron as an example of how smoking "can't be all that bad" is very weak as it appeals to the image, not the fact- that is, there are obvious and proven detrimental side effcts to smoking.  another reason they can't be compared is that the knowledge wasn't available back then either.  While we can't prove that someone wouldn't have smoked back then if they'd known what it does to you its still something to think about.  we cannot judge past generations by this generations standards when a variable like progressive science is thrown into the picture.  

The problem is in that if we are to take the logic that "if its harmful to you its a sin" we must apply it to a wide facet of things.  Like food, particularly.  One might say its not applicable to food because you <i>have</i> have food where you don't <i>have</i> to smoke that is not the case when we're talking mcdonalds.  If smoking is a sin, mcdonalds and other unhealthy food would also be a sin.

Smoking is a very old tradition and I think people have a problem jumping on the smoking is bad bandwagon simply because many of their endeared role models were smokers.  I know/knew quite a few priests who were/are smokers.  I use past tense because some of them I haven't seen in a while or are deceased.

I think it boils down to moderation like alcohol.  If you were to sit down and enjoy a smoke after a meal i don't see how it would be objectively sinful, just like if you were to eat a big mac on occassion or as a treat, I don't see how that could be sinful.

But I hesitate to call even excessive chain smoking a sin.  not that it doesn't make sense- objectively speaking we are inhaling known toxins and chemicals into our bodies.  We also know it is harmful.  But the church doesn't seem to have a ruling on it.  i wouldn't be surprised if she eventually came out and said no more smoking.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - SCG - 02-12-2011

I asked a priest once in confession if smoking was a sin and he said no. Of course the priest was a smoker himself. To be honest, twenty years ago it wouldn't have even occurred to me to bring this issue to the confessional, but with recent medical findings and the whole world banning smoking, I started to wonder.

We all know that smoking is not healthy but neither is McDonald's as a steady diet. While most smokers are unfortunately addicted to a degree, not every smoker is a chain smoker. I smoke probably not even a half a pack a day. I enjoy a cigarette especially after I'm done eating. I don't smoke in public (not allowed any more) or at my daughter's house. I'm not setting out to get cancer or infect my fellow man with second hand smoke. The only true chain smokers I'm aware of have compulsive disorder and border on schizophrenia. It would be a sin NOT to let them smoke, in my humble (and admittedly unprofessional) opinion.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Vetus Ordo - 02-12-2011

(02-12-2011, 06:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I enjoy a cigarette especially after I'm done eating.

A worthy undertaking for any Christian.

I actually miss smoking, especially after having eaten. I have tried to quit for the umpteenth time 1 year ago. I guess I'll give those e-cigarettes a try one of these days.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Baskerville - 02-12-2011

(02-12-2011, 04:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Smoking is  not a sin. If it is a sin why hasn't the church csme out with it? Seems you are tyinro push a modern ideology on the faith Jayne

Jayne likes to be Pope Jane and tell us all what to do. Just her way.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Baskerville - 02-12-2011

The Church hasn't proclaimed it a sin so guess what... it isnt. Pope Pius IX was a cigar smoker. Padre Pio even smoked.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Petertherock - 02-12-2011

It's not a sin any more than drinking is a sin. If you drink to get drunk all the time then it's a sin. If you smoke 3 packs a day it may be a sin. But if you have a pipe or cigar every once in a while then it's no sin. We also know that the "dangers" of smoking are severely over stated. There has also been no documented cases of someone being harmed by "second hand" smoke.