FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? (/showthread.php?tid=42231)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Anastasia - 02-15-2011

I want to stay well out of the smoking debate, I'm not a smoker, but I don't mind those who do. So just to comment on the question of state power that has been raised: the U.S. is not what you can describe as a "free market" system. In fact, most of our troubles stem from the fact that the Fed has been trying to orchestrate a central economy for years now, and failed spectacularly at it. James02 writes well on this topic.
Not every sin against charity must be prevented by the state, either. From Quadrigesimo Anno " That justice called commutative commands sacred respect for the division of possessions and forbids invasion of others' rights through the exceeding of the limits of one's own property; but the duty of owners to use their property only in a right way does not come under this type of justice, but under other virtues, obligations of which "cannot be enforced by legal action."[31
Let us also remember that in the twentieth century alone, the state has killed more people that tobacco companies could ever attempt. I think I am justified in being guarded about the state's concern for me.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - devotedknuckles - 02-15-2011

Revixet turns tables, will Jayne ever get the upper hand? Bukhako still eats weird seaweed
Anastasia the smart as a whip lass as usual tells it like it is

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - CanadianCatholic - 02-15-2011

Thank you Rex...
And yes Jayne, you came off as pretty self righteous and judgmental. Anybody who is familiar with my posting can tell I wasn't asking for an answer. You were being rather condescending...

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - JayneK - 02-15-2011

(02-15-2011, 11:39 AM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Thank you Rex...
And yes Jayne, you came off as pretty self righteous and judgmental. Anybody who is familiar with my posting can tell I wasn't asking for an answer. You were being rather condescending...

I did not mean come across that way.  I am sorry if I hurt or offended you.

(02-15-2011, 11:31 AM)Revixit Wrote: Jayne is the one trying to organize a witchhunt against smokers, claiming that she just knows smoking is a sin.  The Catholic Church does not teach that smoking is a sin but Jayne apparently thinks she knows better than the Church on this issue.  The burden of proof is on her and she hasn't met it.  

What I am trying to do is understand how Church teaching applies to smoking.  I am stating what I currently understand from it and am open to anyone correcting me.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - CanadianCatholic - 02-15-2011

Why don't you ask a priest? I don't think anyone on here is qualified to to conclusively answer that question

(02-15-2011, 12:18 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Why don't you ask a priest? I don't think anyone on here is qualified to to conclusively answer that question

Many people here apparently consider themselves qualified to state that smoking is not a sin.  I am interested in their reasoning.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Bakuryokuso - 02-15-2011

(02-15-2011, 12:18 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Why don't you ask a priest? I don't think anyone on here is qualified to to conclusively answer that question

If this was everyone's attitude all the time, these boards would be very quiet!

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - JacafamalaRedux - 02-15-2011

It'd keep the priests pretty busy with a lot of crazy stuff, too.

Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - Bakuryokuso - 02-15-2011

Revixit, thanks for the elaborations and the link. Isn't the whole Pope Jayne thing an ad hominem though?

Also - Revixit my good man - I do get the impression that folks are going to pinpoint errors in others more often if they tend to disagree with them. In other words, I see folks on this forum doing things five times meaner than what Jayne supposedly did to CC. For example, earlier in this thread, DK used profanity and then I used profanity but then only I got criticized for it. Maybe we just know that some forums members are "beyond hope" when it comes to correction and we don't even bother?

Another example: earlier in this thread DK asked, extremely sarcastically and condescendingly: do I want the government to wipe my own butt for me? I find that extremely ridiculous and completely unhelpful, and far more offensive than Jayne telling CC to pray instead of smoke. I get the impression that DK gets this "free pass" from lots of members cos he's like this off-the-wall crazy guy but we hold Jayne to this high standard. It's just a wee bit bizarre. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I think this forum's like the Wild West. Nic accuses Jayne basically of heresy and that's OK but watch out Jayne don't encourage anyone to pray uninvited or you're being a Pharisee.

DK, thanks for adding to my collection:
Bakuruku
Bukyoko
Bumyokso
Bujyusko
Bukhako