FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel (/showthread.php?tid=42303)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Augstine Baker - 02-15-2011

Uh, no, it won't shut you down, and if I understand the Canadian legal code, he's going to have to pay your legal expenses when all's said and done, but you should also be able to milk people for donations now too.

Good show.

LifeSiteNews is being sued for $500,000 - this could shut us down!

by The Editors

It is with great concern that we have to inform our readers that LifeSiteNews (LSN) Canada has been hit with a lawsuit – by a Catholic priest of all things!

Regular readers of LSN will need no introduction to Fr. Raymond Gravel – he’s the Quebec priest and former Member of Canada’s Parliament who, as we reported, said on a radio interview in 2004: “I am pro-choice and there is not a bishop on earth that will prevent me from receiving Communion, not even the Pope.”

Then, in 2008, he defended the awarding of Canada’s highest civilian award to the country’s ‘father of abortion’ – arch-abortionist Henry Morgentaler! During his political career he was rated as ‘pro-abortion’ by the political arm of the pro-life movement. He has also repeatedly and publicly criticized his church’s teachings on homosexuality and abortion.

Even though LifeSiteNews reports have overwhelmingly reported on what Fr. Gravel himself has publicly said, he is suing us for libel. Among other things, he argues that he isn’t pro-abortion, but he has said in the past that he is “pro-choice.”

He’s demanding $500,000 in damages – which, coincidentally, is a full year’s budget for us. That would put LifeSiteNews out of business!

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lifesitenews-is-being-sued-for-500000

:laughing: :laughing: :pazzo:

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Mithrandylan - 02-15-2011

:pray:

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Augstine Baker - 02-15-2011

Not that Lifesite's not a good resource or anything, but I they should have their pre-paid legal up to date... seriously.

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - SouthpawLink - 02-15-2011

:pray:  :pray:  :pray:

So his lawsuit is over semantics?  "They called me pro-abortion, not pro-choice!"  >:(

:laughing:

Well, if we have to be careful with our wording, then we'd do well to remember:

Code of Canon Law Wrote:Can. 1364 §1. Without prejudice to the prescript of can. 194, §1, n. 2, an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication; in addition, a cleric can be punished with the penalties mentioned in can. 1336, §1, nn. 1, 2, and 3.

§2. If contumacy of long duration or the gravity of scandal demands it, other penalties can be added, including dismissal from the clerical state.

Can. 194 §1. The following are removed from an ecclesiastical office by the law itself:

2/ a person who has publicly defected from the Catholic faith or from the communion of the Church;

:hmmm:

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - INPEFESS - 02-15-2011

(02-15-2011, 09:51 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

So his lawsuit is over semantics?  "They called me pro-abortion, not pro-choice!"  >:(

:laughing:

Well, I think he's looking at it this way: pro-abortion would mean that he does not have a moral problem with abortion--that he would be in fact a supporter of abortion as a moral right; pro-choice would mean that he might have a moral problem with abortion, and likewise wouldn't promote it as a moral action, but doesn't think that secular governments have any right to restrict it or create legal boundaries to prevent women from 'choosing' it. If this is the case, the debate comes down to his opinions of the relationship between church and state and what role moral law plays in secular legislation.

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - SouthpawLink - 02-15-2011

INPEFESS,
Even if he is merely pro-choice, he's still in support of the state's legislation of an intrinsically evil act.  He's already been censured (somewhat) by the Vatican, and later removed as a chief catechist.  The Church could come to the defense of LSN and reason why his pro-choice stance made him unfit to fulfill the duties of his position.  That might make his case untenable.

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Bakuryokuso - 02-15-2011

Yeah, I've seen this person on French-language TV. he just gives you the creeps. ya just feel there's something wrong with him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Gravel

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Mithrandylan - 02-15-2011

(02-15-2011, 10:57 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Yeah, I've seen this person on French-language TV. he just gives you the creeps. ya just feel there's something wrong with him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Gravel

Figures he wouldn't be wearing a cassock or even a collar in his picture.  he certainly gives me the creeps.

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Augstine Baker - 02-15-2011

"Gravel had an eventful youth during which he worked in bars in Montreal's Gay Village; he has been open about the fact that he was a sex-trade [prostitute] worker during that time.[1]"

Re: Pro-Choice Priest Sues Lifesite for Libel - Petertherock - 02-16-2011

(02-15-2011, 11:21 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: "Gravel had an eventful youth during which he worked in bars in Montreal's Gay Village; he has been open about the fact that he was a sex-trade [prostitute] worker during that time.[1]"

How did this guy even get past the screening to become a priest?

This is why the VII Church is a new religion.