FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Praying with Protestants? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Praying with Protestants? (/showthread.php?tid=43544)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Praying with Protestants? - DesperatelySeeking - 03-29-2011

Don't pray with Protestants......get THEM to pray with YOU.

But if you have to respectfully sit it out, do that.....or pray silently to yourself.

Joining in some phoney-baloney ecumenical prayer......you might as well just bow down to a stone idol.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - NorthernTrad - 03-29-2011

I agree with the advice with "get them to pray with you."  While certainly you're not going to convert anyone by making a scene, it would be wrong to pray under the direction of heretics, especially if by doing so you gave them the impression that you found their direction valid.  That being said, in this situation (especially with family), I tend to say my own silent prayer myself and refuse any kind of handholding or other outward gesture so that it is clear that you are not prayer at their direction.  The sign of the cross is usually enough to show non-Catholics that you are under your own direction.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - Gris - 04-04-2011

Thank you for all of your responses.  Bak - thanks for welcoming me here!

I, rather stupidly, joined a homeschool co-op without properly researching all the details.  It had been recommended to me from one Catholic mom who appears to try to be as reverent as possible while in our NO wasteland.  When the TLM ws nearby she would go.  I didn't go, even though she invited me, as I was a newbie Catholic and didn't really know much about it.  In the meantime I've become convinced of its superiority. 

Frankly, I'd rather my kids be in a secular school than this co-op because it's easier to fight evil directly.  Really how can a seven year old mentally fight fake Christianity?  She's still in black and white thinking not shades of grey yet.  We were purposely late eight out of ten times just to avoid the "announcements" and "worship and praise time."  The first time we were on time as I wanted to see what it was all about.  I found out.  One other time we were not late enough.  Yuck!

I am no longer obligated to go where these Protestants are and am very happy about that.  I did not make the sign of the cross after their prayers because I was uncomfortable being there and I did not want to "show off" my Catholicism (not because I'm ashamed, mind you.  More because I don't want to condone their religion.)  Their prayers may have been rather neutral, but I just didn't really want to be there.  I used to be Protestant as well and it really gave me the heebiejeebies to hear the same things I heard while I was in high school.  It didn't ring true and the Bible "thought of the moment" was exactly the pick and choose junk that I can do without.  I don't enjoy much public spontaneous prayer anyway.  There were other Catholics in the group and I caught flak from one of them for not making the sign of the cross.  Perhaps that irritated me the most.  It just seems like a misplaced religous stance.  Thanks be to God I'm not going to be in that situation now.

Now I just get to pray with my "conciliar" Catholic family at various gatherings. :sneaky:

Oh and thank you Resurrexi for the additional reading.  Very informative.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - jovan66102 - 04-04-2011

From the 'Jesus, Mary, Joseph Novena Manual', by Fr Stedman, published by the Sister Adorers of the Precious Blood:

To our Lady, Help of Christians
"for loyalty to Holy Mother Church"
Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, thou seest how the Catholic Faith is assailed by the devil and the world, that Faith in which we purpose by the help of God, to live and die. To thee we entrust our firm purpose of never joining assemblies of heretics. Do thou, all holy, offer to thy Divine Son our resolutions, and obtain from Him the graces necessary for us to keep them unto the end. Amen.
Mary, help of Christians, pray for us.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - SaintSebastian - 04-04-2011

The article posted by Resurrexi is a good one.

What it boils down to is the difference between public prayer and private prayer. Public prayer is not just prayer that is done where others can see. One can have private prayer in front of others and public prayer in solitude. Public prayer is the official liturgy of the Church (and comparable rites and services when referring to the public prayer of other groups--this is what is meant by their "assemblies"). It is participation in this that harms the unity of the Church because it is in her public rites that unity is manifested--it is in her public rites that the Church prays socially as one society--and praying the public worship of other sects or groups implies unity with those societies instead. Praying the Mass, for example, is an act of public prayer whether it's done in a full cathedral and televised world wide or prayed alone without the knowledge of anyone but the priest saying it. On the other hand, private prayer can be praying alone in one's room, or praying private devotions in public with others. Praying outside an abortion facility is a great example of private prayer done out in public.

Joining in the private prayer with non-Catholics--such as grace before a meal, etc.--provided the prayer itself doesn't contain anything contrary to the truth--is ok.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - alicewyf - 04-04-2011

My mom and stepdad are Protestant, and when we have dinner at their house, I do hold hands and pray along with them silently (it is usually something improvised and really innocuous, obvs). Afterwards I make the Sign of the Cross and help my daughter to make it as well. My husband does too (lapsed Episcopalian!). I don't mind praying with Protestants but I do assert my Catholic identity. When we have dinner at the in-laws' my father-in-law says the Prayer Before Meals b/c he is a lapsed Catholic and that is the prayer he knows, so no problem there. It was funny, after Christmas dinner my brother-in-law (husband of my husband's sister) asked me some questions about making the Sign and he had some random questions about Catechism classes. I think it can be a good conversation starter and has the potential to immediately identify what you believe.

Re: Praying with Protestants? - MichaelNZ - 04-04-2011

I thought the Catholic teaching was that if anyone prays with heretics, he is a heretic. Or is that just public prayer?