FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? (/showthread.php?tid=43614)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - SouthpawLink - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 01:21 PM)Fortunatus Wrote: I am Eastern Catholic from Romania. The crypto-orthodoxy is a real phenomenon, not limited to laical members of the Church, but affecting in some degree the clergy, too. This is the counterpart of the crypto-lutheranism in the western part of the Church.

What would you say characterizes "crypto-lutheranism"?  ???

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - Fortunatus - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 01:31 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: What would you say characterizes "crypto-lutheranism"?  ???

All the Novus Ordo stuff.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - CollegeCatholic - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 01:02 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote:
(04-01-2011, 12:41 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: I concur. What annoys me most is how many Eastern Catholics flaunt married priests as if it were something desirable as opposed to something merely tolerated.d

There is nothing wrong with married priests.  Many Latins denigrate it and try to force Byzantines in America to have celibate priests. Against the particular and wholly legitimate tradition of Eastern Catholic Church  admitting married men to their clergy's ranks. 

In the US the intransigent Bishop Ireland caused a schism by Fr Alexis Toth and several hundred thousand fellow Eastern Catholics to defect to the Eastern Schismatic churches. All because he and a select few of his compatriots were jealous of the married clerics and said also that having married Eastern Catholic clerics would "confuse" the lay-faithful.  Bah!

I am sorry, but I cannot stand whenever some folks rail against certain aspects of the Eastern rites' as if it is okay. I certainly don't support or applaud this crypto-Eastern Schismatic tendencies amongst many Eastern Catholics nowadays, either. (I've noticed it on the online forums; not so much in real life, though.)  It is sad times we live in: Times of Mass-Apostasy. 

While Bp. Ireland may have had a role in causing a schism, it must be said, of course, that the Easterners didn't need to schism, and are still at fault.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - Vetus Ordo - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 01:21 PM)Fortunatus Wrote: This is the counterpart of the crypto-lutheranism in the western part of the Church.

I wish it were "crypto."

Instead, it is professed in the open.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - Vetus Ordo - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 02:01 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(04-01-2011, 01:02 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote:
(04-01-2011, 12:41 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: I concur. What annoys me most is how many Eastern Catholics flaunt married priests as if it were something desirable as opposed to something merely tolerated.d

There is nothing wrong with married priests.  Many Latins denigrate it and try to force Byzantines in America to have celibate priests. Against the particular and wholly legitimate tradition of Eastern Catholic Church  admitting married men to their clergy's ranks. 

In the US the intransigent Bishop Ireland caused a schism by Fr Alexis Toth and several hundred thousand fellow Eastern Catholics to defect to the Eastern Schismatic churches. All because he and a select few of his compatriots were jealous of the married clerics and said also that having married Eastern Catholic clerics would "confuse" the lay-faithful.  Bah!

I am sorry, but I cannot stand whenever some folks rail against certain aspects of the Eastern rites' as if it is okay. I certainly don't support or applaud this crypto-Eastern Schismatic tendencies amongst many Eastern Catholics nowadays, either. (I've noticed it on the online forums; not so much in real life, though.)  It is sad times we live in: Times of Mass-Apostasy. 

While Bp. Ireland may have had a role in causing a schism, it must be said, of course, that the Easterners didn't need to schism, and are still at fault.

Of course.

I find their "excuse" pretty lame.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - Prie dieu - 04-01-2011

I think there's a trend for it in Eastern Catholic circles yes which is most often manifested in their disparaging attitudes towards Latin Catholics.  And not for the supposed crypto-Lutheranism and various post-Vatican II issues as mentioned in this thread.  I find they are more hostile to true Latin Catholics ("traditional Catholics") because we're actually.. well.. Latin.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - randomtradguy - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 12:55 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(04-01-2011, 12:25 PM)cgraye Wrote: I've definitely seen this too, and I find it worrying.  I have gotten the impression from many Eastern Catholics that they just really want to be Orthodox, but they aren't for...some reason.

This.

This.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - st.dominic_savio - 04-01-2011

Not to trying to derail the thread, but do you think the Vatican II policy to give the eastern churches more autonomy was good or bad? If so, why?
Also, are the eastern rites completely equal to the latin rite, or are they some kind of inferior rite with married priests? It seems like some posters on here feel the latter.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - randomtradguy - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 03:21 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: Not to trying to derail the thread, but do you think the Vatican II policy to give the eastern churches more autonomy was good or bad? If so, why?
Also, are the eastern rites completely equal to the latin rite, or are they some kind of inferior rite with married priests? It seems like some posters on here feel the latter.

More autonomy goes in line subsidiarity, so it could be a good thing.  I'm sure only a Roman supremacist would say the other rites are inferior. Married priests generally aren't considered to be as "good" as unmarried priests by experts (please no one attack me for saying that, I'm just the messenger.)

I would prefer the eastern rites to be autonomous, as long as they're Catholic (I almost said orthodox but it would've been confusing.)

The Roman Rite however, has some problems. Instead of subsidiarity for them, I long for a super-trad pope to come along and completely clean house and appoint SSPX ans FSSP priests as bishops. And the reestablishment of the Inquisition.

Re: Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics? - jovan66102 - 04-01-2011

(04-01-2011, 03:21 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: Not to trying to derail the thread, but do you think the Vatican II policy to give the eastern churches more autonomy was good or bad? If so, why?
I don't see that VII gave us 'more autonomy'. It reasserted the natural autonomy of sui juris Churches that had been lost due to pressure from the Latins. And the Catholic Church has 23 completely equal sui juris Churches of which the Latin Church is one.