FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway (/showthread.php?tid=43866)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Bakuryokuso - 04-12-2011

(04-11-2011, 04:28 PM)Nic Wrote:
(04-11-2011, 12:32 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(04-11-2011, 11:59 AM)Nic Wrote: Unfortunately, this public schism needs to happen...

Actually something like this occurring would be the very best thing that could happen to the souls of the world... All in all, this would be a good thing.  Let us pray that it happens.

Nic, you seem to be well-read on church history. I, in contrast, are relatively new to Catholicism, converting from Protestantism last year. I was attending Evangelical churches who were ultimately birthed in the Lutheran schism.

So my questions would be:
1. Wouldn't excommunications be preferable to a schism?
2. You seem to suggest we should pray for a schism to occur. Huh? Really?

Yes, I am saying that we should pray for the already private schism to be made public - it would benefit the entire world because then people could see what Catholicism really is and therefore choose to be a part of the true religion instead of a religion only posing as Catholicism or vaguely mixed in along with the true religion.  With such confusion most people have no clue what the Church actually teaches.  Something like this could go a LONG way to end all of this.

ok so you're praying for hidden things to be revealed. agree.

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - vakarian - 04-12-2011

This schism does need to happen, and the sooner the better. Why stop the chaff from willingly separating itself from the wheat?

When the chips are down towards the End of All Things, and the faithful reunite under one banner as one flock under the Good Shepherd, the 'American Catholic Church' will likely be amongst the damned.

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - JoniCath - 04-12-2011

Yes, but in a section which is emphasizing the radical incorporation of the laity into the ministerial branch of the Church and calling the lines between clerics and laity "arbitrary" do you really think that this is what they're talking about?
[/quote]

No I don't. Some things I blame directly on the council, for instance, the vapid, mundane, dumbed down Mass they gave us. Other things I blame on that elusive Spirit of V.II. This is one of the latter. You see, if Father Jim & members of his laity.......John & Joe are good PALS, they can all be on the golf course on Sat., when Father Jim should be praying for his own personal holiness, visiting the sick HIMSELF, hearing CONFESSIONS, etc. etc..

This may be hard to believe, but before Vatican II people used to make "visits" to Church. (For some reason, it was safe to leave the Church unlocked during the daylight hours.) I can't tell you how many times I dropped into a church to pray the rosary, or just say hello to God & found one of the parish priest deep in prayer.

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - JoniCath - 04-12-2011

(04-12-2011, 01:41 PM)vakarian Wrote: This schism does need to happen, and the sooner the better. Why stop the chaff from willingly separating itself from the wheat?

When the chips are down towards the End of All Things, and the faithful reunite under one banner as one flock under the Good Shepherd, the 'American Catholic Church' will likely be amongst the damned.

Personally, I'd rather see people who are not faithful to Church teachings be excommunicated, PUBLICLY & LOUDLY, their names appearing in all newspapers in the land, to be read by all of the Catholic laity, all Protestants, etc. However, the hierarchy in this country isn't going to do that & there are WAY to many for the Pope to deal with & he'd have to start with our hierarchy. I can't tell you how anxiously I waited for Bishop O'Malley to excommunicate Ted Kennedy.  ::)

Then, of course, there is Nancy Pelosi who made these remarks in 2,008, when questioned about her stance on Abortion:

“I would say that as an ardent, practicing Catholic, this is an issue that I have studied for a long time,” said Pelosi.  “And what I know is, over the centuries, the doctors of the church have not been able to make that definition.  And Senator--St. Augustine said at three months.  We don't know. The point is, is that it shouldn’t have an impact on the woman’s right to choose"

She is part of the Archdiocese of San Francisco &, if anyone thinks that the Archbishop George Niederauer, is going to excommunicate her, they're wrong. Now, if she asked for definite, fixed hours set aside for the Sacrament of Confession every week THAT might do it. 
  :censored:......

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Lavalliere - 04-12-2011

Quote:I can't tell you how anxiously I waited for Bishop O'Malley to excommunicate Ted Kennedy.

Never bite the hand that feeds you!

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Stubborn - 04-12-2011

(04-12-2011, 02:10 PM)JoniCath Wrote: [size=10pt]Personally, I'd rather see people who are not faithful to Church teachings be excommunicated, PUBLICLY & LOUDLY, their names appearing in all newspapers in the land, to be read by all of the Catholic laity, all Protestants, etc. However, the hierarchy in this country isn't going to do that & there are WAY to many for the Pope to deal with & he'd have to start with our hierarchy. I can't tell you how anxiously I waited for Bishop O'Malley to excommunicate Ted Kennedy.

Pretty much the only ones who get slandered loudly and publicly are those who are faithful to Church teachings.

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - cunctas_haereses - 04-12-2011

The schism took place in 1965, and the last nail in the coffin in 1969.

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Antonius Josephus - 04-12-2011

(04-12-2011, 01:42 PM)JoniCath Wrote: No I don't. Some things I blame directly on the council, for instance, the vapid, mundane, dumbed down Mass they gave us. Other things I blame on that elusive Spirit of V.II. This is one of the latter. You see, if Father Jim & members of his laity.......John & Joe are good PALS, they can all be on the golf course on Sat., when Father Jim should be praying for his own personal holiness, visiting the sick HIMSELF, hearing CONFESSIONS, etc. etc..

This may be hard to believe, but before Vatican II people used to make "visits" to Church. (For some reason, it was safe to leave the Church unlocked during the daylight hours.) I can't tell you how many times I dropped into a church to pray the rosary, or just say hello to God & found one of the parish priest deep in prayer.

Amen!

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Tim - 04-20-2011

(04-12-2011, 08:37 PM)Varokhâr Wrote:
(04-12-2011, 01:42 PM)JoniCath Wrote: No I don't. Some things I blame directly on the council, for instance, the vapid, mundane, dumbed down Mass they gave us. Other things I blame on that elusive Spirit of V.II. This is one of the latter. You see, if Father Jim & members of his laity.......John & Joe are good PALS, they can all be on the golf course on Sat., when Father Jim should be praying for his own personal holiness, visiting the sick HIMSELF, hearing CONFESSIONS, etc. etc..

Amen!

"Visits" !!!. The doors were all ways open people would come at any time, even late at night. If a priest wasn't busy he'd go hear confessions at any time not on a schedule. I was one of the ungrateful and can tell you now, you don't miss it until it is gone.

tim

Re: Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway - Cordobes - 04-20-2011

(04-12-2011, 01:42 PM)JoniCath Wrote: This may be hard to believe, but before Vatican II people used to make "visits" to Church. (For some reason, it was safe to leave the Church unlocked during the daylight hours.) I can't tell you how many times I dropped into a church to pray the rosary, or just say hello to God & found one of the parish priest deep in prayer. [/size]

You were around yourself for this? That sounds amazing. Where I live, most churches are either locked during 'non-operative' hours, or totally dark. Being a new Christian who still finds it somewhat difficult to speak to God, there are so many times I've wanted to do this and have found that it's almost never an option.