FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why not EMHC's - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why not EMHC's (/showthread.php?tid=44017)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Why not EMHC's - Petertherock - 04-14-2011

OK...I have heard this excuse that EMHC's should not give out Communion because only Consecrated hands should touch the Host. But obviously that's not true since Deacon's are allowed to give out Communion even before VII and they don't have Consecrated hands. I ask this because lay people come in to give my mother Communion every day at the hospital even though this hospital has a priest on staff. Now it could be the priest is busy giving people the Sacrament of the Sick and I know he also works at the Cathedral too but I cringe when a lay person gives Communion out. At least today when I was there it was a man but there has been women of course giving out Communion. I haven't said anything since my parents aren't trads and wouldn't understand and I really can't say anything about only Consecrated hands should touch the Sacred Bread. So does anyone have the real reason why lay people shouldn't give out Communion?

Re: Why not EMHC's - Bakuryokuso - 04-14-2011

that is the real reason, catechism of trent makes clear. deacons are ordained.

Re: Why not EMHC's - The_Harlequin_King - 04-14-2011

I believe the bottom line is that administering Communion is a serious responsibility, so the Church regulates who may do it. From a legalist perspective, laymen distributing Communion is allowed because, well, it's legal. The trad says it shouldn't be done because in near two millennia, there hasn't been any established precedent.

I would ask, why does anyone need to receive Communion every day? True, Saint Pius X promoted it. But before him, most people received only once or a few times a year.

Re: Why not EMHC's - Resurrexi - 04-14-2011

(04-14-2011, 10:01 PM)Petertherock Wrote: OK...I have heard this excuse that EMHC's should not give out Communion because only Consecrated hands should touch the Host. But obviously that's not true since Deacon's are allowed to give out Communion even before VII and they don't have Consecrated hands.

Deacons may not have consecrated hands, but they are recipient of the sacrament of Order. By the way, I'd say that even deacons shouldn't be distributing holy Communion on a regular basis. Before the 1983 Code, deacons were extraordinary ministers of holy Communion.

Re: Why not EMHC's - Historian - 04-14-2011

(04-14-2011, 10:01 PM)Petertherock Wrote: OK...I have heard this excuse that EMHC's should not give out Communion because only Consecrated hands should touch the Host. But obviously that's not true since Deacon's are allowed to give out Communion even before VII and they don't have Consecrated hands. I ask this because lay people come in to give my mother Communion every day at the hospital even though this hospital has a priest on staff. Now it could be the priest is busy giving people the Sacrament of the Sick and I know he also works at the Cathedral too but I cringe when a lay person gives Communion out. At least today when I was there it was a man but there has been women of course giving out Communion. I haven't said anything since my parents aren't trads and wouldn't understand and I really can't say anything about only Consecrated hands should touch the Sacred Bread. So does anyone have the real reason why lay people shouldn't give out Communion?

It is not only because of consecration.

There are many reasons.

The biggest reason which applies the most that I see is that it is unnecessary and the use of them indicates a problem with the thoughts of the person allowing them.

Lay people can give it in certain situations. For example, if a church was in danger of being desecrated and it was a matter of allowing desecration or consuming everything to save it, I'd certainly do what is better, but for receiving, I kneel and prepare myself and receive from the priest's hands.

Deacons and subdeacons are major orders (or were, I do not know what the current way of describing them is). They are not just lay people.

Re: Why not EMHC's - bkovacs - 04-14-2011

Better question. Why do we need EMHC?. We did fine without them for over 1000 years. Same goes for Altar Girls.

Re: Why not EMHC's - Vetus Ordo - 04-14-2011

(04-14-2011, 10:19 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I would ask, why does anyone need to receive Communion every day? True, Saint Pius X promoted it. But before him, most people received only once or a few times a year.

A much safer course of action to adopt, I might add.

Re: Why not EMHC's - Historian - 04-14-2011

(04-14-2011, 10:30 PM)bkovacs Wrote: Better question. Why do we need EMHC?. We did fine without them for over 1000 years. Same goes for Altar Girls.

I would say that the suppression of the minor orders has something to do with it.

There used to be a very well defined structure in the Church, but now, it seems that it has been "downsized". The priests are relatively alone now.

(04-14-2011, 10:19 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I would ask, why does anyone need to receive Communion every day? True, Saint Pius X promoted it. But before him, most people received only once or a few times a year.

St. Pius X did have a point about the faithful needing the graces of holy Communion. Unfortunately, I think his plan backfired in the long run: now a lot of people not only receive no grace from the reception of holy Communion, they also commit a sacrilege due to reception while in the state of mortal sin. I'd say that the custom during the first half of the 20th century is probably most ideal: those who have gone to confession within the last week or so go to Communion (which could be half of the attendees at any particular Mass) while the rest of us who haven't stay back and say that we accidentally ate something after midnight if questioned.

(04-14-2011, 10:31 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

A much safer course of action to adopt, I might add.

Definitely safer. Due to my less than frequent use of the sacrament of Penance, I usually follow the practice of infrequent reception of holy Communion myself. As I said above, though, St. Pius X did have a point about the multitude of graces available to the faithful who devoutly receive holy Communion on a regular basis.