FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Could Satan ever repent? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Could Satan ever repent? (/showthread.php?tid=45551)

Pages: 1 2 3

Could Satan ever repent? - Petertherock - 05-29-2011

I know this is in all likelihood impossible but is it possible since Satan is a fallen angel that he could repent and ask for God's forgiveness...and if this happened what would happen to all the damned souls? Obviously if this happened there would be no more evil. This is just a crazy question that popped into my head.

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - alegare21 - 05-29-2011

I doubt it. And if that happened, there wouldn't be a point to God's overall plan

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - SCG - 05-29-2011

Nope. Satan is stuck with the decision he made in the beginning.. when he said "I will not serve."

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - GottmitunsAlex - 05-29-2011

I think he's (satan), in the same bracket as Judas. Of course, one originating from a celestial being and the other a human being.
But both in the same dump. 

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - EcceQuamBonum - 05-29-2011

My understanding of this (which derives primarily from Dante, so it may very well be erroneous) is that Hell's atemporality precludes the possibility of choice.  Since every moment in Hell is "new" in some sense, and since the active choice of repentance involves temporality (that is, repentance entails a "past" against which to repent), then Satan is constrained for eternity to his choice of sin and rebellion, if that makes sense.

As I said, though, this isn't exactly informed by bulletproof doctrine.  So, if in error, please correct!

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - Dominus est - 05-29-2011

He's been judged and damned. The fire is called eternal for a reason.

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - Pheo - 05-29-2011

Angels also don't have such limited intellects like us - they're much, much more intelligent.  They fully understand the consequences of their actions before taking them, and that's why their choice to rebel against God was irrevocable.

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - Vincentius - 05-29-2011

There is/was a theological belief condemned as heretical called Apocatastasis, (which see) that "teaches that a time will come when all free creatures will share in the grace of salvation; in a special way, the devils and lost.souls."  This has been erroneously attributed to St. Gregory of Nyssa, but not particularly to him but taken from Origen, who seems at times reluctant to decide concerning the question of the eternity of punishment. 

Quote:The teaching is that the punishment by fire is not, therefore, an end in itself, but is ameliorative; the very reason of its infliction is to separate the good from the evil in the soul. The process, moreover, is a painful one; the sharpness and duration of the pain are in proportion to the evil of which each soul is guilty; the flame lasts so long as there is any evil left to destroy. A time, then, will come, when all evil shall cease to be since it has no existence of its own apart from the free will, in which it inheres; when every free will shall be turned to God, shall be in God, and evil shall have no more wherein to exist. Thus, St. Gregory of Nyssa continues, shall the word of St. Paul be fulfilled: Deus erit omnia in omnibus (1 Corinthians 15:28), which means that evil shall, ultimately, have an end, since, if God be all in all, there is no longer any place for evil.

NB:  can the commission of grevious sin with aforethought of malice that condemns man to everlasting punishment can ever be undone?  In Hell there is no thought of repentance but only hatred for the person who brought this misery. hatred for the devil who keeps up his torment and the intensity of the animosity is directed directly to God.  Once in hell, it is for eternity.

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - PeterII - 05-29-2011

Even if in theory Satan did repent, we would still suffer the evil effects of Original Sin.  Life and death would continue, but with a lot less temptation probably.

Re: Could Satan ever repent? - Gorgondie - 05-30-2011

(05-29-2011, 10:25 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: My understanding of this (which derives primarily from Dante, so it may very well be erroneous) is that Hell's atemporality precludes the possibility of choice.  Since every moment in Hell is "new" in some sense, and since the active choice of repentance involves temporality (that is, repentance entails a "past" against which to repent), then Satan is constrained for eternity to his choice of sin and rebellion, if that makes sense.

As I said, though, this isn't exactly informed by bulletproof doctrine.  So, if in error, please correct!

This is kinda how i always understood it once the Angels made thier choice they are constantly making that choice so to speak because there is no change in time and no repentence.