FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
"Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 (/showthread.php?tid=45992)

Pages: 1 2

"Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cindy - 06-12-2011

Start Novena June 14 ending June 22, vigil of the Feast of Corpus Christi.

[Image: Corpus-Christi.jpg]

Novena in Preparation for the Feast of CORPUS CHRISTI

I thank Thee, Jesus, my Divine Redeemer, for coming upon this earth for our salvation,
and for instituting the august Sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist in order to remain with us until the end of the world.

I thank Thee for hiding beneath the Eucharistic species Thy infinite majesty and beauty,
which Thy Angels delight to behold, so that I might have courage to approach the throne of Thy Mercy.

I thank Thee, most loving Jesus, for having made Thyself my food,
and for uniting me to Thyself with so much love in this wonderful Sacrament that I may live in Thee.

I thank Thee, my Jesus, for giving Thyself to me in this Most Blessed Sacrament,
and so enriching it with the treasures of Thy love that Thou hast no greater gift to give me.

I thank Thee not only for becoming my food but also for offering Thyself as a continual sacrifice
to Thy Eternal Father for my salvation.

I thank Thee, Divine Priest, for offering Thyself as a Sacrifice daily upon our altars in adoration and homage to the Most Blessed Trinity,
and for making amends for our poor and miserable adorations.

I thank Thee for renewing in this daily Sacrifice the actual propitiatory Sacrifice of the Cross offered on Calvary,
in which Thou satisfiest Divine justice for us poor sinners.

I thank Thee, dear Jesus, for having become the priceless Victim to merit for me the fullness of Heavenly favors.
Awaken in me such confidence in Thee that their fullness may descend ever more fruitfully upon my soul and let me always be worthy of Thee.

I thank Thee for offering Thyself in thanksgiving to God for all His benefits, spiritual and temporal,
which He hath bestowed upon me. In union with Thine offering of Thyself to Thy Father in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass,
I ask for this special favor:

(Mention your petition here)

If it be Thy holy Will, grant my request. Through Thee I also hope to receive the grace of perseverance in Thy love and faithful service,
a holy death, and a happy eternity with Thee in Heaven. Amen.

O Lord, Thou hast given us this Sacred Banquet, in which Christ is received,
the memory of His Passion is renewed, the mind is filled with grace, and a pledge of future glory is given to us who are worthy of Thee.
Thou hast given them bread from Heaven. Having all sweetness within.

Let us pray.

God our Father, for Thy glory and our salvation Thou appointed Jesus Christ eternal High Priest.
May the souls He gained for Thee by His Blood come to share in the power of His Cross
and Resurrection by celebrating His Memorial in this Most Blessed Sacrament,
for He liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, forever. Amen.

O Jesus, since Thou hast left us a remembrance of Thy Passion beneath the veils of this Sacrament,
grant us, we pray, so to venerate the sacred mysteries of Thy Body and Blood
that we may always enjoy the fruits of Thy Redemption through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cindy - 06-12-2011

[Image: perqueml.gif]

http://www.sspxasia.com/Documents/The_Church_Year/Corpus_Christi.htm
Rev. Fr. Leonard Goffine's
The Church's Year
FEAST OF CORPUS CHRISTI

Why is this day called Corpus Christi?
Because on this Thursday the Catholic Church celebrates the institution of the most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar. The Latin term Corpus Christi signifies in English, Body of Christ.

Who instituted this festival?
Pope Urban IV, who, in the decree concerning it, gives the following explanation of the institution and grandeur of this festival: "Although we daily, in the holy Sacrifice of the Mass; renew the memory of this holy Sacrament, we believe that we must, besides, solemnly commemorate it every year, to put the unbelievers to shame; and because vie have been informed that God has revealed to some pious persons that this festival should be celebrated in the whole Church, we direct that on the first Thursday after the octave of Pentecost the faithful shall assemble in church, join with the priests in singing the word of God," &c. Hence this festival was instituted on account of the greatness of the divine mystery; the unbelief of those who denied the truth of this mystery; and the revelation made to some pious persons. This revelation was made to a nun at Liege, named Juliana, and to her devout friends Eve and Isabella. Juliana, when praying, had frequently a vision in which she saw the bright moon, with one part of it somewhat dark; at her request she received instructions from God that one of the grandest festivals was yet to be instituted the festival of the most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar. In 1246, she related this vision to Robert, Bishop of Liege, who after having investigated the matter with the aid . of several men of learning and devotion, among whom was Jacob Pantaleon, Archdeacon of Liege, afterwards Pope Urban IV. made arrangements to introduce this festival m his diocese, but death prevented his intention being put into effect. After the bishop's death the Cardinal Legate Hugh undertook to carry out his directions, and celebrated the festival for the first time in the year 1247, in the Church of St. Martin at Liege. Several bishops followed this example, and the festival was observed in many dioceses, before Pope Urban IV. in 1264 finally ordered its celebration by the whole Church. This order was confirmed by ClementV, at the Council of Vienna in 1311, and the Thursday after the octave of Pentecost appointed for its celebration. In 13 17, Pope John XXII. instituted the solemn procession.

Why are there such grand processions on this day?
For a public profession of our holy faith that Christ is really, truly and substantially present in this Blessed Sacrament; for a public reparation of all the injuries, irreverence, and offences, which have been and are committed by impious men against Christ in this Blessed Sacrament; for the solemn veneration and adoration due to the Son of God in this Sacrament; in thanksgiving for its institution; and for all the graces and advantages received therefrom; and finally, to draw down the divine blessing upon the people and the country.

Had this procession a prototype in the Old Law?
The procession in which was carried the Ark of the Covenant containing the manna, was a figure of this procession.

The Church sings at the Introit the words of David:

INTROIT He fed them with the fat of wheat, alleluia: and filled them with honey out of the rock. Allel. allel. allel. Rejoice to God our helper; sing aloud to the God of Jacob. (Ps. LXXX.) Glory etc.

COLLECT
O God, who under a wonderful sacrament hast left us a memorial of Thy Passion; grant us, we beseech Thee, so to venerate the sacred mysteries of Thy body and blood, that we may ever feel within us the fruit of thy redemtion. Who livest etc.

EPISTLE (I Cor. XI. 23-29.) Brethren, I have received of the Lord, that which also I delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread, and giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat; this is my body which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This Chalice is the New Testament in my blood: this do' ye; as often as you shall drink., for the commemoration of me. For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink this chalice, you shall show the death of the Lord until he come. Therefore, whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink of the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

GOSPEL
(John VI. 56?59.) At that time, Jesus laid to the multitude of the Jews: My flesh is meat indeed arid my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live forever.

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cindy - 06-13-2011

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cindy - 06-14-2011

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Melita - 06-14-2011

thanks for this Cindy

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cassius_Longinus - 06-14-2011

Here goes another one.  Thank you again, Cindy!

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cindy - 06-15-2011

You are very welcome!
There are 2 more coming up this month:
"Our Lady of Perpetual Help" starts June18th and
the novena "To the Sacred Heart"  starts June 22.  :)

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cassius_Longinus - 06-15-2011

(06-15-2011, 12:53 AM)Cindy Wrote: You are very welcome!
There are 2 more coming up this month:
"Our Lady of Perpetual Help" starts June18th and
the novena "To the Sacred Heart"  starts June 22.  :)
Good to know about the novena to OL.  I knew about the Sacred Heart because we were married on that feast, and we celebrate our anniversary every year on the feast itself.

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Bakuryokuso - 06-15-2011

I just love that in the EF/TLM there's so much more anticipation for feasts. Man, was Paul VI ever hoodwinked something fierce.

Re: "Corpus Christi" Novena starts June 14-22 - Cassius_Longinus - 06-15-2011

(06-15-2011, 02:48 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I just love that in the EF/TLM there's so much more anticipation for feasts. Man, was Paul VI ever hoodwinked something fierce.
BEST WORD EVER. 

I mean, it's in the running at least.  Anybody up for a word association?