FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
need help - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: need help (/showthread.php?tid=46343)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: need help - ketchum - 06-23-2011

While I'm not making an allowance or anything remember that if you fall remember to get right back up.  make an act of contrition and go to confession as soon as you can

also pray at least for five minutes to out Lord in the blessed sacrament for assistance.

Re: need help - Raskolnikov - 06-23-2011

(06-23-2011, 04:04 PM)a83192 Wrote: I have been struggling with masturbation for 7-8 years. How do I stop?

The problem of letting masturbation go is that it feels so good. I am a man by the way.

I am a teen .

All medical books and a southern Baptist psychiatrist that I met told me that masturbation is good. The funny thing is that the psychiatrist minored in"theology" Protestant Baptist that is 
:o

Pray. Pray more throughout the day, and pray with intense fervour whenever temptation arises. Once you feel the onset of temptation, just stop whatever you're doing, kneel, and pray a litany, a Rosary, or some other entensive and exhaustive prayer which requires concentration and effort. This helps a lot, and once you begin to pray the temptation usually diminishes after a few minutes. The hard part is forcing yourself to pray rather than succumb when the temptation is so strong. It's not easy at all; any Catholic male can attest to that.

Also, go to confession often. It really helps.

Re: need help - Adam Wayne - 06-24-2011

Stay away from the near occasion of sin. Hard to do in this climate.

The internet can be a great research tool, or a great place to find interesting information. Unfortunately, it is kind of like doing this work within the confines of an "Adult" Bookstore.

Father Hardon gave a really great series of talks on Catholic Sexual Morality. It's still available from Eternal Life in Bardstown, KY. Unforutnately it is dated in that it is a series of cassette tapes. But, I do believe they are now offering many of these series on mp3 CDs and at a much reduced price. You can download the talks to your iTunes and put it on your iPod. And no more chewing of tapes!

Contemplate the Heavenly Kingdom. Try to escape the trap of the sensual world. And by sensual or carnal world, I do not mean the pleasures of the body exclusively. I am referring to the material world that can be only known by the five senses. Understand and accept the realtiy of the Spiritual Universe. We all profess this as truth, but I am afraid it is very easily forgotten or attention diverted due to our daily toil and of living in the world with this body. 

Pray to your Jesus, Mary, St. Michael, St. Joseph, St. Maria Goretti, and your Guardian Angel.

Re: need help - devotedknuckles - 06-24-2011

Welcome back Lad!
Sip

Re: need help - LausTibiChriste - 06-24-2011

When temptations pop up use these two methods. I heard them in a sermon off AudioSancto and I can personally attest to their effectiveness.

1. Say, over and over as necessary, "Precious Blood wash over me [and protect me from the wickedness and snares of the devil]."
2. Also say, "Sin of Lust, in the name of Christ and Mary, I order thee be gone." Or something to that effect. That way if it is a demonic influence it will leave, because the demons cower at the names of Jesus and Mary.

Those two methods move your mind. Move your body too. If you're sitting down, get up and walk around, distract yourself, and saying those things.

Cold showers work too.  :laughing:

Re: need help - newyorkcatholic - 06-24-2011

(06-23-2011, 10:02 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: remain from flesh meat?
LOL
what the hells that supposed to mean

"flesh meat" just means meat but back in the day the term was used to distinguish it from other "meat" since "meat" just meant "food" (still survives in the phrase "sweetmeats" which are not flesh meat)

Anyway, St. Thomas Aquinas explains that one reason when we fast we abstain from flesh meat but not alcohol or fish is that abstaining from flesh meat helps us reduce concupiscent impulses (I think mostly related to lust and wrath).  Alcohol obviously affects these but in the short term, and in teh long term might even decrease them.

Re: need help - kingtheoden - 06-24-2011

Wrong thread - But while here...

Prayer and being busy are necessary to avoiding these sins.  I assume that you are not married, which can worsen these temptations.  However the first step is breaking them with God's grace and then being industrious.  The rest will come into place.

Re: need help - Prie dieu - 06-24-2011

(06-23-2011, 04:04 PM)a83192 Wrote: How do I stop?

Just.. stop.  It's not easy, I'm a young man my self (19).  But I say a prayer every morning consecrating my eyes, my ears, my lips, my hands and my whole person to Our Blessed Lady.  Every time temptation rears its ugly head I simply remind my self that I I belong to the Blessed Virgin.  These are not my hands any longer and I cannot put them to sinful use.  Then I simply look to my statue of Our Lady of Carmel say a prayer and move on.

Re: need help - Prie dieu - 06-24-2011

Think I need to start praying the Saint Michael Chaplet.

Re: need help - Adam Wayne - 06-24-2011

(06-24-2011, 12:05 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Welcome back Lad!
Sip

Thank you, nice to be back.