FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? (/showthread.php?tid=46453)

Pages: 1 2 3

Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - mistman - 06-27-2011

I was just curious about this. If so, have you ever been to the United States? What are your impressions (people, values, etc.)?

My own impression is that something is wrong here. It's hard to explain but I sense it. I'm trying to figure it out.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - Melita - 06-27-2011

Yes and yes.

I've been to Boston, Florida and New York.

Americans in general seemed less "natural" than people back home - I don't know what I mean by that exactly, just the way they act and react. It almost feels as though everything had a rehearsed quality. Though considering most of the Americans I actually met were providing a service, that's not surprising  ;D

Anyway, that's a good thing... most waiters/waitresses (what you might call "servers") here act like they're doing you a favour by serving you. I'd much rather the whole nine yards you guys have, with all the "have a good day" stuff, than the grunt and stink eye treatment we get here.

Boston was the most European of the three, Florida felt totally fake (I went to Disney world, so go figure) and New York was just amazing, definitely want to return.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - Alabama Trad - 06-27-2011

There is something wrong everywhere. Mankind's current state does not correspond to God's original plan. Grace is the only thing that can put a person onto the path to beatitude and the vast majority of the world is not Christian. There will always be something wrong with the U.S. and the world.

In the U.S., individualism, materialism, Protestantism and an apocalyptic vision of the country as "different" because of her founding principles are the main problems.

The U.S., unlike most other Western nations, has no foundation in Catholicism.

On the flipside, the U.S. does have the most substantial pro-life movement in the modern world and is more 'naturally' religious because of the culture than the vast majority of Western people.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - Adam Wayne - 06-27-2011

(06-27-2011, 06:55 PM)Melita Wrote: Yes and yes.

Americans in general seemed less "natural" than people back home - I don't know what I mean by that exactly, just the way they act and react. It almost feels as though everything had a rehearsed quality. Though considering most of the Americans I actually met were providing a service, that's not surprising  ;D

Anyway, that's a good thing... most waiters/waitresses (what you might call "servers") here act like they're doing you a favour by serving you. I'd much rather the whole nine yards you guys have, with all the "have a good day" stuff, than the grunt and stink eye treatment we get here.

Boston was the most European of the three, Florida felt totally fake (I went to Disney world, so go figure) and New York was just amazing, definitely want to return.

Interesting take. i am American. But, I spent 4 years in the UK and Germany in the Air Force as a young lad. I felt a sense of being home in Europe and suffered Culture Shock when I came back here. My mom, thought I was much to relaxed for a 22 year old upon my return. It didn't take long for me to eventually get back into the rat race here. To my chagrin and her happiness. I never minded the slowness of the wait staffs in Europe or the air that they were doing me a favor. I guess you can blame the VAT for that. Weren't their tips automatically factored in? Or is my mind going blank and not remembering? The "Have a Nice Day!", and enthusiasm here seems pretty plastic to me. Also, although, I may be wrong, I think that air you talk about is the mark of a free man. Like one who haggles. He will do the service for the correct price and not become some overpaid, or in this case, over-tipped toady. 

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - newyorkcatholic - 06-27-2011

As an American, I have no idea what to make of most of this.

It feels like being faced with vague and impossible-to-refute charges ... what specifically was wrong?

Anyway, in my not extensive but not insignificant travels, I haven't noticed anything really better or worse anywhere.  The faith is in crisis everywhere, and people are just people, mostly miserable sinners but all better than me.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - LausTibiChriste - 06-27-2011

(06-27-2011, 07:17 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:

Interesting take. i am American. But, I spent 4 years in the UK and Germany in the Air Force as a young lad. I felt a sense of being home in Europe and suffered Culture Shock when I came back here. My mom, thought I was much to relaxed for a 22 year old upon my return. It didn't take long for me to eventually get back into the rat race here. To my chagrin and her happiness. I never minded the slowness of the wait staffs in Europe or the air that they were doing me a favor. I guess you can blame the VAT for that. Weren't their tips automatically factored in? Or is my mind going blank and not remembering? The "Have a Nice Day!", and enthusiasm here seems pretty plastic to me. Also, although, I may be wrong, I think that air you talk about is the mark of a free man. Like one who haggles. He will do the service for the correct price and not become some overpaid, or in this case, over-tipped toady.   

I feel the exact same way, though I am a Canadian. I felt more at home in the UK than I ever have here, even in France I did (Maybe there's something to that whole 'it's in your blood theory'). I don't know why, couldn't tell you at all, it's just how I feel.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - 3Sanctus - 06-27-2011

Smaller towns and more rural areas (more "Southern"-acting  areas) tend to be more friendly in my experience.  Go to someplace like DC and looking in someone's direction when you pass them on the street makes them act strange.  In the areas I sited above, it's not uncommon to get a genuine smile, a hello, and a handshake if you ask someone a question.

At least that's my experience.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - The_Harlequin_King - 06-27-2011

I spent a little while in Italy for a summer vacation. While I enjoyed it much, one of the most memorable moments in my life is when I touched back on American soil and played "Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly" in my car on the way back home. Being in Italy gave me a newfound appreciation for all sorts of things American: like cheaper gas and food, more polite and subservient workers (like waiters, etc.), the wide open roads, people who respect traffic laws (in comparison to Italians), and of course, faster Internet.

I'm not gonna lie, though: there are like, 10 times more attractive people in Italy than in my corner of the United States. Also, literally over half of everyone in my city is overweight. Not the case in Italy at all. I also appreciated how fashionable Italians were compared to the slobs around here.

3Sanctus Wrote:Smaller towns and more rural areas (more "Southern"-acting  areas) tend to be more friendly in my experience.  Go to someplace like DC and looking in someone's direction when you pass them on the street makes them act strange.  In the areas I sited above, it's not uncommon to get a genuine smile, a hello, and a handshake if you ask someone a question.

Last time I went to DC, I actually immediately felt more at home by seeing all the people in suits. In San Antonio, just wearing a dress shirt is considered overdressed, even if you're not wearing a tie to go with it.

Now, Virginia is probably my second-favorite state after Texas due to all the friendly people I met there, but I'm not personally the sort of guy who wants a handshake and all that from a stranger. I only expect that at church. Which, strangely enough, I pretty much never get from people at Catholic churches.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - mistman - 06-27-2011

There is something wrong everywhere. Mankind's current state does not correspond to God's original plan. Grace is the only thing that can put a person onto the path to beatitude and the vast majority of the world is not Christian. There will always be something wrong with the U.S. and the world.

In the U.S., individualism, materialism, Protestantism and an apocalyptic vision of the country as "different" because of her founding principles are the main problems.

The U.S., unlike most other Western nations, has no foundation in Catholicism.

On the flipside, the U.S. does have the most substantial pro-life movement in the modern world and is more 'naturally' religious because of the culture than the vast majority of Western people.

Yeah, but I've noticed strange changes within the last 15 years. Evil might change its face to fit the times, but I believe there is a certain ebb and flow to this stuff. N. Germany and Scandinavia are pretty much without Catholicism too (I know they had a brief period with it, but the U.S. also had this with the French and Spanish) and they are way more friendly and sincere than Americans. Phony American greetings like "how's it going" are not my idea of friendliness. Friendliness can be a quiet, shy appreciation of someone's humanity regardless of their appearence or status. Canadians are more like this. A foreinger once told me, "American's are friendly without being friends." The tastelessness and crudity of Americans, like Harlequin King pointed out, is more than just a fad, its a reflection of our soul. Isn't gluttony a sin? How about immodesty? Evil is everywhere but it takes different forms and is more severe in certain times and places, I believe anyway.

I hope Europeans can help me with some observations, not that the Americans haven't also contributed some helpful stuff so far too. I've either had a breakdown, or somebody dosed me with something, or there is something happening here that is bad news. I want to know if this uniqueness of America is something good or bad.

Re: Are there any Catholics from Europe here? - devotedknuckles - 06-28-2011

both