FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Catholic communities - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Catholic communities (/showthread.php?tid=46586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Catholic communities - Aragon - 07-02-2011

There seem to be a few Catholic communities in America. There's St. Mary's in Kansas, Ave Maria and I recently came across this: http://www.staroftheseavillage.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these townships? Good idea or bad idea?

Re: Catholic communities - OCLittleFlower - 07-02-2011

I notice that the Star of the Sea site says nothing about how far the menfolk have to drive to find work if they aren't farmers.  Also, the fact that condos are going for less than $50k is not a good sign for the local economy there.

Yes, it would be great to live in a Catholic community, but food has to get to the table somehow.

Re: Catholic communities - The_Harlequin_King - 07-02-2011

(07-02-2011, 02:13 AM)Aragon Wrote: There seem to be a few Catholic communities in America. There's St. Mary's in Kansas, Ave Maria and I recently came across this: http://www.staroftheseavillage.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these townships? Good idea or bad idea?

Yeah, I attended Ave Maria University for a while, so I lived right in the center of Ave Maria Town. At that time (2007), it was still brand-new, so it felt like a very clean, well-lit ghost town. I'm sure things are different now.

The good thing about a consciously Catholic community is that, of course, Christ is the center of the community. In Ave Maria, the church is literally in the center of the town, in fact. Catholics of like in mind in the same area also strengthen one another, and generally make for better neighbors, I imagine.

The bad thing is that when you gather up all the Catholics in one place, you're taking the light away from everywhere those Catholics would've been otherwise. I also imagine that Catholic communities are very family-oriented (not bad at all), but it means there isn't crap to do after the sun goes down. I remember at Ave Maria, some nights I was literally the only person awake in the entire town around 3 or 4am except for the campus guards.

Re: Catholic communities - James02 - 07-02-2011

If you have money and/or work on the road, and can swing it, I highly recommend Cherokee Village, which is the Star of the Sea place.  It is in Northern Ark., demographics are about 99% white, and it has a good climate.  The Church is St. Michael's, which used to be a shared church, but the TLM is provided by the FSSP, currently Fr. Demets, who is a cool French priest.  They also started up a trad school.  So maybe some of the dudes who want to teach can talk to them about teaching there.  The school is only a few years old.

It is an outdoorsy kind of place.  Near the gin clear lakes of the ozarks.  In the event of a collapse, no one will know to go there.  I imagine not much to do, and it is a drive to any good sized city.  However hunting, fishing, boating, and camping are widely available.

Job opps are probably pretty bad.  Maybe in healthcare as there are a lot of people who retire there. 

Got a plane to catch.

Re: Catholic communities - MaidenofGod - 07-02-2011

oh man, that sounds like a great place to teach. If I stay in my hometown, chances are that I wld be stuck teaching in NO land.

do. not .want. lol

Re: Catholic communities - John_77 - 07-02-2011

(07-02-2011, 07:27 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The bad thing is that when you gather up all the Catholics in one place, you're taking the light away from everywhere those Catholics would've been otherwise. I also imagine that Catholic communities are very family-oriented (not bad at all), but it means there isn't crap to do after the sun goes down. I remember at Ave Maria, some nights I was literally the only person awake in the entire town around 3 or 4am except for the campus guards.
Hmm, a decent Catholic community can also be a central place from which Catholics can evangelize.

Re: Catholic communities - devotedknuckles - 07-02-2011

It's a good idea and a good thing. I disagree with hm here no where does it have o end up taking light away from anyplace. Actually living with your own and amongst yor own aids I. Strengthening your position in a hostile world
but I grew up I. Cstholic ghetoes so it's natural for me to wish to luv with me own and amongst me own.  Is rather have then then being dispersed and weakened. Strength in numbers and it's a hell of allot eqsiery to protect ourselfs and churchs and kids amongst our own then diaperersed yonder here and there easy pickings
sip
being diapered is short sighted comming together and living with our own is a betwr strategy for survival and gain
sip

Re: Catholic communities - wallflower - 07-02-2011

(07-02-2011, 11:21 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: It's a good idea and a good thing. I disagree with hm here no where does it have o end up taking light away from anyplace. Actually living with your own and amongst yor own aids I. Strengthening your position in a hostile world
but I grew up I. Cstholic ghetoes so it's natural for me to wish to luv with me own and amongst me own.  Is rather have then then being dispersed and weakened. Strength in numbers and it's a hell of allot eqsiery to protect ourselfs and churchs and kids amongst our own then diaperersed yonder here and there easy pickings
sip
being diapered is short sighted comming together and living with our own is a betwr strategy for survival and gain
sip

I agree with DK. The caveat to be preapred for is that the politics and the surprises of the nasty side of humanity cut a little deeper when you're among your own. It's natural and it's bound to happen at some point. But that is well-worth the gains. St Mary's has some larger towns/cities around it where you could probably find work. I don't know the other one you mention.

Re: Catholic communities - Heinrich - 07-02-2011

There's also Post Falls, Coeur D'alene and that community in Saskacheewon which nobody has botherered to tell me the name of after me having asking like a millions times.

A traditional priest I am fortunate to know says northern Idaho is charming what with the SSPX and FSSP, but the influence and spillover from Seattle and the native solipsism are dark blotches.

Re: Catholic communities - wallflower - 07-02-2011

(07-02-2011, 12:33 PM)Heinrich Wrote: that community in Saskacheewon which nobody has botherered to tell me the name of after me having asking like a millions times.

Welwyn? http://www.sspx.ca/Saskatchewan/OurLadyOfFatimaChapel.htm

I don't know how much there is for jobs there. From what I've heard their parish and school are dwindling with that as one of the reasons. If you wanted to move that way, Saskatoon, Yorkton or Regina might be better options. http://www.sspx.ca/MassCentres.htm They have SSPX Mass less often but they are bigger centers (more jobs and opportunities) and may have other traditional options for the other Sundays.

Heck if you want to go to Canada, Calgary, Kitchener and Levis have larger communities and schools too. Much less rural though and much more expensive. It depends on what you're looking for.