FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? (/showthread.php?tid=46777)

Pages: 1 2

Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - kayla_veronica - 07-08-2011

Doc told me to use Allegra over Clariton. Allegra doesn’t come in generic but I bought it anyway. It works better but I still have that foggy/tired feeling. Using eye drops and nasal spray but its just not cutting it. Any suggestions? I’ve heard raw honey helps....but thats also a bit spendy for me right now.

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - INPEFESS - 07-08-2011

(07-08-2011, 05:24 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Doc told me to use Allegra over Clariton. Allegra doesn’t come in generic but I bought it anyway. It works better but I still have that foggy/tired feeling. Using eye drops and nasal spray but its just not cutting it. Any suggestions? I’ve heard raw honey helps....but thats also a bit spendy for me right now.

I have tried many different medications so that I can be able to function. The one I have found works the best for me is actually OTC and inexpensive:

[Image: !B484,u!CWk~%24%28KGrHqV,!jcEybjnQ001BMr%2...g~~_35.JPG]

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - kayla_veronica - 07-08-2011

Yeah that’s what I was on when the doc told me to switch (only it was the Cub Foods version). Thanks though!

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - INPEFESS - 07-08-2011

(07-08-2011, 05:49 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Yeah that’s what I was on when the doc told me to switch (only it was the Cub Foods version). Thanks though!

You're welcome, of course.

I wish I could help, but it doesn't seem that I can.

Before I was using the above, I was using this:

[Image: 5042866173.jpg]

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - Pheo - 07-08-2011

I don't know if it works this way in the States, but we have higher dose versions of these exact same meds that you can get by prescription.  So if you have any sort of drug coverage, you end up saving a ton of money just by getting the "controlled" dosage.  For example, the Reactine/Zyrtec tablets here are all 10mg in the drug stores, but I don't pay anything for a whole bottle of 20mg ones that I just have to split in half.  I'm trying to go without them this summer, but that's what I've been doing for years.

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - Underdog - 07-08-2011

I've tried all kinds of stuff...OTC and prescription...and the only thing that actually really works well...is Benadryl...which unfortunately doesn't come in a non-drowsy formula.  Loratadine, Fexofenadine, and Cetirizine don't work as well as Benadryl...same for Zantac (not for heartburn, but as an antihistamine).  I had a prescription for Levocetirizine, which worked about as well as the OTC meds, but I'm still waiting for a miracle drug to be invented.  Until then, I give Benadryl two thumbs up as the only allergy med that truly kicks butt...  :sleep:

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - iona_scribe - 07-08-2011

Yeah, I use benedryl too when it gets really bad.  But since I'm so sensitive to the drowsy side effect I get the liquid version for children and pour myself the smallest possible dose (1tsp or so) to take the edge off.

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - Scriptorium - 07-09-2011

I strongly recommend for long-term relief using a neti pot. The version I use is below. I simply put a pinch of salt in it before I start my morning shower, then fill it with warm water. About 5 minutes later I pour it into one nose at an angle so it comes out the other nose. Then the same with the other nose. It takes a couple of times to get used to it, and sometimes your nose will be too stuffed to get anything done, but over the months and years your allergies will dramatically decrease. I used to have a big problem with this. Now I have allergies maybe once a year. It is also helpful if you have a reaction to flush out the nose to get whatever is causing the havoc out.

[Image: neti-pot.jpg]

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - UnamSanctam - 07-09-2011

None of them help me anymore. I just stuff a kleenex up my nose to prevent rash from constantly blowing it. How you like me now ladies? ;D

Re: Best Allergy Meds or Home Remedies for Hayfever specifically? - The Curt Jester - 07-09-2011

Try looking up Yucca.  I know someone who has bad allergies but when she started taking that, they all but disappeared.  I'm sure not everyone can expect the same results, but it can't hurt to look into it and it's certainly no worse than taking manufactured medicines.