FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Why I am a Catholic - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why I am a Catholic (/showthread.php?tid=47451)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Why I am a Catholic - cassini - 07-28-2011

With your permission could I set up this thread to allow anyone to express their reasons why they are Catholic, or indeed why they remain Catholic all their lives in a world that does its best to destroy the Catholic faith. If comments are kept reasonably short, it will provide easy reading for any looking for a good enough reason to become Catholic or remain Catholic if their faith is faltering.

For me it was easy becoming Catholic. I was born into Catholicism and learned my faith under the Holy Ghost Fathers from the green 'Penny Catechism.' By the age of 12 I understood the essentials of the Catholic faith, that a personal God exists, that He is a Trinity, that Christ died to save us from Lucifer, a leading angel who rejected God, and that He founded the Catholic Church and set up its institution. Now, in my 60s, it still suffices as an explanation for everything. In its simplicity it explains the origin of everything. It It has a history going back to the very beginning of the world. It explains all of human behaviour, both good and evil. It explains all the questions, who am I, what am I, where did I come from, where am I going. It gives purpose to all the tears of life and provides the one ingredient I have found to be the most precious, hope, hope in so many things but mostly that there is another life to be lived where there is nothing but love and joy, and peace with our loved ones living and dead.

Re: Why I am a Catholic - K3vinhood - 07-28-2011

I've gone from Catholic at birth, to basically nothing, almost to Eastern Orthodox, then to Traditional Catholic.

I had realized something was terribly wrong with the world and that I was definitely missing out on the truth and the big picture. It took me a while to find that truth but God led me here, and here I am.

Re: Why I am a Catholic - Vetus Ordo - 07-28-2011

By the grace of God.

He enlightens my mind and strengthens my faith day by day. My flesh fights against it, my mind is ever doubtful and my will is weak but the grace of God keeps me on the right track. Like Abraham "who against hope believed in hope" [Romans 4:18], I continue to trust and believe because He moves me to do so. He sustains me and with the eyes of faith I recognise the truth and hold on to it. In whom else may I glory but in the Lord? How bountiful is His mercy! Indeed, He is the good shepherd who "giveth his life for his sheep." [John 10:11]

"Let my mouth be filled with praise, that I may sing thy glory; thy greatness all the day long." [Psalm 70:8]

Re: Why I am a Catholic - formerbuddhist - 07-28-2011

I love the Catholic Faith, everything from the Latin Mass to Gregorian chant and the Rosary to the Crusades and the majestic cathedrals. Besides that it is only the Catholic Church that has the audacity to proclaim that no one who remains outside of her will be saved. I've flirted with Orthodoxy on and off but when push comes to shove they do not say that one has to become Orthodox to save ones soul. Everytime I'm fed up with the scandals and the chaos and the top down apostasy I pop in a Gregorian Chant Cd and ask myself that should I die today where would I rather be, Orthodoxy or Catholicism and I can say with 100 percent certainty that I would rather be Catholic. Also, I just know it on an intuitive level that the Catholic Faith is true. Orthodoxy was the only other contender for my loyalty but in the end I just couldn't and cannot do it. I've read every thing conceivable that the Orthodox have come up with in order to deny the Primacy of Peter but have never been convinced. I can also when push comes to shove never deny the immaculate Conception, Purgatory or the Filioque. If I left the Church I would always doubt my salvation.

Re: Why I am a Catholic - Mithrandylan - 07-28-2011

(07-28-2011, 03:46 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: By the grace of God.

He enlightens my mind and strengthens my faith day by day. My flesh fights against it, my mind is ever doubtful and my will is weak but the grace of God keeps me on the right track. Like Abraham "who against hope believed in hope" [Romans 4:18], I continue to trust and believe because He moves me to do so. He sustains me and with the eyes of faith I recognise the truth and hold on to it. In whom else may I glory but in the Lord? How bountiful is His mercy! Indeed, He is the good shepherd who "giveth his life for his sheep." [John 10:11]

"Let my mouth be filled with praise, that I may sing thy glory; thy greatness all the day long." [Psalm 70:8]

th-th-th-th-th-th-this!

Re: Why I am a Catholic - SCG - 07-28-2011

I was baptized at 8 days old, went to Catholic schools and received the sacraments as a child. I went a bit wild after high school but came back at 23 due to the grace of God. I immersed myself in scripture, the lives and writings of the saints, as well as church history. I have studied some other religions, but for me the teachings of the Church makes sense. Catholicism is not just a religion among other world religions. I believe it's the truth, the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and the “kingdom” of which Jesus spoke. It's about a PERSON and my relationship with Him personally, eucharistically, and through the Church He founded. In the words of St. Peter: “Lord, to whom shall we go? We have come to believe and know that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Re: Why I am a Catholic - obscurus - 07-28-2011

I am a convert to Catholicism and what I write is perhaps not what you would find in a text-book but they are, I hope, sincere and thoughtful reasons for why I became Catholic.

When thinking of how I became Catholic growing up in the household that I had all I can say is that Our Lord has been good to me. I am a Catholic because I became convinced of its veracity and then corresponded to grace. I pray to God that I remain a Catholic not only for my own sake but for my wife's and children's sake.

Catholicism has an eminently balanced view of life and I have always been impressed with the interplay between reason and faith within the Church - simply read St. Thomas' writings. It believes in the supernatural life without disparaging reason; it is the fides quarens intellectum. I am discovering this great harmony more as each passing year goes by. 

However, for me, it was more the holiness that it produced and by holiness I don't necessarily mean things extraordinary. I mean the simple day to day and down-to-earth holiness that I saw in individual lives and in my readings. I was struck by how Catholicism can so transform lives. I saw that grace is still operative in the modern world and that God still acts through His Church. It is marvelous! I saw that one who embraces Catholicism sees the world as good because God created it. Thus, it produces, or should produce, profound joy in one's life. 

I saw in Catholicism a religion which has a wonderful and beautiful doctrine on married life which sees everything in its proper order; elevates the married state and provides a mutual help to husband and wife to love one another with a Christ-like love and helps them to raise and educate children in a school of sanctity.

Catholicism asks much from us but it gives us all the means to achieve the lofty goal of obtaining the seed of eternal life which is grace. This sanctity is again something down-to-earth and when I read some excellent biographies of the saints I was able to understand this truth. It is a religion which may at times be difficult to follow due to our fallen human nature but it provides a security and happiness which the world cannot give. It understands human nature much more than any other religion does.

I have seen in Catholicism a beautiful understanding of the importance of culture. It promotes what is beautiful and although this is not necessarily a claim proving the Catholic Church is true when one comes across many of the great literary and artistic giants we see in Catholicism either a direct or indirect influence.

Someone who is thinking about becoming a Catholic should realize that trials and difficulties will exist but that through perseverance and a staunch adherence to the Sacred Heart eternal life will be assured.

Re: Why I am a Catholic - JacafamalaRedux - 07-28-2011

Ditto to Vetus; by the grace of God.  :pray2:

I'm Catholic simply because there's no other true Church. What other church is a universal church established by none other then Christ Himself? Or what other church has produced countless saints? Or the miracles of the Eucharist, or the apparitions, or the Cathedrals, the liturgy? Or the great works of art. To me, these are all clear proof that the holy Catholic Church is the true Church.

I am just so GRATEFUL to be Catholic and to have the sacraments. Ultimately nothing else matters, really. I mean when you think about it, the most important question is, are you on the barque or aren't you?  :) :) :)

Re: Why I am a Catholic - JacafamalaRedux - 07-28-2011

(07-28-2011, 05:08 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I was baptized at 8 days old, went to Catholic schools and received the sacraments as a child. I went a bit wild after high school but came back at 23 due to the grace of God. I immersed myself in scripture, the lives and writings of the saints, as well as church history. I have studied some other religions, but for me the teachings of the Church makes sense. Catholicism is not just a religion among other world religions. I believe it's the truth, the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and the “kingdom” of which Jesus spoke. It's about a PERSON and my relationship with Him personally, eucharistically, and through the Church He founded. In the words of St. Peter: “Lord, to whom shall we go? We have come to believe and know that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

23 was THE year of grace for me, too, Lisa!  :)

Re: Why I am a Catholic - Old Salt - 07-28-2011

"By the grace of God.

"Let my mouth be filled with praise, that I may sing thy glory; thy greatness all the day long." [Psalm 70:8"]

This is exactly what I would say.
I would add only all this comes through the Blessed Virgin Mary, so I go to Her in prayer most often, as this is the same as going to Her Son.