FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Trad Monks - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Trad Monks (/showthread.php?tid=47466)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trad Monks - Dust - 07-28-2011

I recently was told about this traditional Benedictine monastic community and I was curious if anyone here knew more about them:

www.clearcreekmonks.org

They seem to be good, but I was surprised that such a seemingly good religious community would go unnoticed both by me and my fellow fisheaters.  They are relatively new, but still...

Re: Trad Monks - salus - 07-28-2011

Very Solid!!!

Re: Trad Monks - Gorgondie - 07-28-2011

we need more, real monasteries like this

Re: Trad Monks - newyorkcatholic - 07-28-2011

(07-28-2011, 09:54 PM)Dust Wrote: I recently was told about this traditional Benedictine monastic community and I was curious if anyone here knew more about them:

www.clearcreekmonks.org

They seem to be good, but I was surprised that such a seemingly good religious community would go unnoticed both by me and my fellow fisheaters.  They are relatively new, but still...

I have heard of them.  Everything I have heard of them confirms to me how awesome they are.

Re: Trad Monks - rbjmartin - 07-28-2011

I tell all my trad friends about them. I've visited several times, gotten to know several of the monks (not an easy thing to do since you can't talk to them unless you are working with them or on one of their weekly hikes), and I know many of the families who live in the vicinity. Honestly, there are too many good things I could say about them to post. Their chant and liturgy are beautiful and amazing. The rule of life is solid, classical Benedictine. They are real monks, and you will get a sense of their holiness the moment you step onto the monastery grounds.

If you want to understand what is at the heart of this monastery, I suggest reading some of the articles on the "Articles" link on their webpage. In particular, I suggest reading the article "The Monk and the Murderer" (July 2007)
and the articles about Fr. de Feydeau's death (November 2009). I had the privilege of doing manual labor with both of the monks mentioned in these articles, and my memory of those afternoons with them will stay with me forever. Just being around these monks makes such a lasting impact on you.

Re: Trad Monks - jovan66102 - 07-28-2011

Don't know that they're as unknown as that. A quick search shows up four threads dedicated to the Clear Creek Monastery and it's mentioned in 25 other threads! :) However, that said, they're a good, solid Traditional Benedictine house in full union with Rome. You can't go wrong there.

Re: Trad Monks - trident59 - 07-28-2011

I've talked with the Abbot and the Guestmaster. I, also, bought their DVD. If I can ever save the money for the travel from the PacNorwest, I'm going to spend about 4 days with them. so far i'm impressed.

Re: Trad Monks - Joshua - 07-29-2011

When I was with the FSSP, a retreat was arranged for the First Year seminarians at Clear Creek Monastery. As Rbjmartin stated, the holiness there is absolutely palpable and their chant is top-notch (even with its subtle francophile influences  ;D). I had the privilege of assisting several brothers in the woodshop repairing a damaged night stand and, while still retaining silence for the the majority of the time, being in their presence was a joy.

... and don't get me started on their home-baked bread and churned butter!

I would wholeheartedly recommend them to any Catholic for a retreat or even a monastic vocation.

Re: Trad Monks - Resurrexi - 07-29-2011

I send my stipends for Masses to them!

Re: Trad Monks - voxxpopulisuxx - 07-29-2011

Does anyone know of any similar religious in north east mid atlantic?