FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Crying my way through mass - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Crying my way through mass (/showthread.php?tid=47537)

Pages: 1 2

Crying my way through mass - knittycat - 07-31-2011

I finally went to other catholic church in town. It was marginally better than the first one. The fact that I sat behind the 3 most obnoxious boys (and parents for that matter. i mean, if your kid is playing with power rangers and throwing stuff during mass, during COMMUNION no less, and you do nothing, how is that being a responsible catholic parent. Shouldn't you be teaching them to honor their Lord and how to be reverent? GAH!!! I can understand toddlers being a bit disruptive, but one of them had to be at least 7) kind of sucked.
Anyway, yeah, I cried through it. Very embarrassing. I think I'm slipping back into depression, or I'm having the worlds worst PMS.
The whole time I'm thinking to my self, 'what happened to mass!?'. I know what happened to mass, but I still sat and cried. At least I got blessed.
I want to be edified. I want to be lifted up. I want to feel like I'm participating in something holy. I don't want to sing banal songs (I refuse to call them hymns. Those are *not* hymns. I sang hymns when I was Mormon. They were dignified and solemn. Sure they could be joyful! But they were always worshipful and graceful. And there was never an electric guitar involved.) I don't want to shake hands in some forced act of artificial community. And most of all I don't want to go up to the table for a meal, I want to go before His alter and be sanctified.
Sorry for the rant. But I know y'all will understand.
I got one of the deacon's phone numbers. Hopefully I can make my case without tears. I really hate the hormonal rollercoaster that comes along with being a woman sometimes.

Re: Crying my way through mass - Someone1776 - 07-31-2011

I see that you live 2 hours from your nearest TLM.  It's probobly worth making the trek. If you can't do it every week you should at least try doing it every other week.  Imagine how pleased God will be with the lengths you are willing to go to to worship him properly!

On a side note: there are annoying kids at the TLM too. In fact there are usually much more children! The children are usually more well behaved, but as there are more of them you tend to end up with same numeric amount of annoying children. 

On the plus side at a High Mass the organ usually drowns them out. 

Re: Crying my way through mass - knittycat - 07-31-2011

It's not so much the kids that are the problem as the parents. I feel kind of bad for the kids to tell you the truth. It's not their fault nobody has taught them how and when to be reverent!

(07-31-2011, 01:07 PM)knittycat Wrote: It's not so much the kids that are the problem as the parents. I feel kind of bad for the kids to tell you the truth. It's not their fault nobody has taught them how and when to be reverent!

While people (and their children) are generally much more reverent at the TLM, you still get people who are not at the TLM (although in fewer numbers).  Unfortunately, I seem to be a magnet for these irreverent people as they love sitting next to me.  The other week at my chapel someone was sitting in the pew in front of me while sipping on what looked like an Ice Tea (although clearly this person was not a regular parishioner, but probably someone hauled down here against his will)!

Then there was the time a woman pulled me out of the communion line to tell me an important tid-bit: that I was funny looking!   

Re: Crying my way through mass - knittycat - 07-31-2011

Well now. Isn't this just what I need now. I just got a call from my mom. It seems my grandma has stage 4 lung cancer. She's in her 80s so she's not going to fight it.
Depression sucks. I think I need to go get my meds adjusted.
Again, sorry for the rambly personal post. I just needed to get all this off my chest.

Someone1776, that is outrageous behavior! How did you manage not to give either of them a talking to!?

(07-31-2011, 01:26 PM)knittycat Wrote: Well now. Isn't this just what I need now. I just got a call from my mom. It seems my grandma has stage 4 lung cancer. She's in her 80s so she's not going to fight it.
Depression sucks. I think I need to go get my meds adjusted.
Again, sorry for the rambly personal post. I just needed to get all this off my chest.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. You should request our prayers in the oratory.   :pray2:

Quote:Someone1776, that is outrageous behavior! How did you manage not to give either of them a talking to!?

The woman who pulled me aside apparently has mental issues.  And the person drinking tea was a friend of the same woman. So...yeah. 

Re: Crying my way through mass - JayneK - 07-31-2011

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time.  I hope that being able to vent here makes you feel better.
Prayers for you and for your grandmother.
:pray2:

Re: Crying my way through mass - vakarian - 07-31-2011

I'm sorry about this hard time you had during this liturgy. If a TLM is not available where you are, I would just not go. I know I will take a lot of flak for saying that, but I feel more at ease staying at home and reading the TLM missal for that Sunday than go to a Novus Ordo mass, and I've felt that way ever since my conversion to Trad Catholicism 1 year ago.

May the Holy Ghost guide you.  :pray:

Re: Crying my way through mass - Mithrandylan - 07-31-2011

(07-31-2011, 11:00 PM)vakarian Wrote: I'm sorry about this hard time you had during this liturgy. If a TLM is not available where you are, I would just not go. I know I will take a lot of flak for saying that, but I feel more at ease staying at home and reading the TLM missal for that Sunday than go to a Novus Ordo mass, and I've felt that way ever since my conversion to Trad Catholicism 1 year ago.

May the Holy Ghost guide you.  :pray:

Really don't want to get into this debate, it will come either way.  Just wanted to point out that "feeling more at ease" has never been a proper evaluator of anything nor is it a tenet of Catholicism.

Re: Crying my way through mass - Carmel - 08-01-2011

I know the feeling. I left my home parish of 10+ years, 5 minutes from home, for a reverent NO Mass offered by a religious order run parish 30 minutes away (in a less reputable city, too). I was sitting in Mass at my home parish that one last Sunday with a pew in front of me and behind me filled with parents and youths (pre-teens) who talked all through the Mass!

I now attend reverent NO or TLM. The TLM I attend is an hour away (about 40 miles). It's financial sacrifice, but one that seems necessary to make.

I'm sorry about the news of your grandmother.