FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church (/showthread.php?tid=48159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Gerard - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 11:02 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: "Fulfilling the wishes of many Brothers in the Episcopate and of a great number of the faithful throughout the world, after consulting the Congregation for the Causes of Saints and hearing the opinion of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding her eminent doctrine, with certain knowledge and after lengthy reflection, with the fullness of Our apostolic authority We declare Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, virgin, to be a Doctor of the Universal Church. In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." -Pope JPII

ubi petrus ibi ecclesia

It doesn't matter what cermonial elements are present.  This honorary title is not pertaining to faith or morals, is not binding on anyone and just like the numerous judgements and reversals by Popes Formosus and Stephen and their immediate successors, they are not free from error in these exercises of the "fullness" of their apostolic authority.

http://www.drbo.org/chapter/55002.htm

Quote: [11] But when Cephas was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. [12] For before that some came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them who were of the circumcision. [13] And to his dissimulation the rest of the Jews consented, so that Barnabas also was led by them into that dissimulation. [14] But when I saw that they walked not uprightly unto the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all: If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of the Gentiles, and not as the Jews do, how dost thou compel the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? [15] We by nature are Jews, and not of the Gentiles sinners.

[11] "I withstood"... The fault that is here noted in the conduct of St. Peter, was only a certain imprudence, in withdrawing himself from the table of the Gentiles, for fear of giving offence to the Jewish converts; but this, in such circumstances, when his so doing might be of ill consequence to the Gentiles, who might be induced thereby to think themselves obliged to conform to the Jewish way of living, to the prejudice of their Christian liberty. Neither was St. Paul's reprehending him any argument against his supremacy; for in such cases an inferior may, and sometimes ought, with respect, to admonish his superior.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Historian - 08-23-2011

"Blind obedience is not Catholic; nobody is exempt from responsibility for having obeyed man rather than God if he accepts orders from a higher authority, even the Pope, when these are contrary to the Will of God as it is known with certainty from Tradition. It is true that one cannot envisage such an eventuality when the papal infallibility is engaged; but this happens only in a limited number of cases. It is an error to think that every word uttered by the Pope is infallible" (Open Letter to Confused Catholics)

And, regarding the other comment, burning NO missals isn't just fine - some may even consider it virtuous.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Petertherock - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 01:08 PM)acatholiclife Wrote: And, regarding the other comment, burning NO missals isn't just fine - some may even consider it virtuous.

I agree...I would say burning all the NO missals would be great...along with all the document of VII and revert back to what the Church has always taught before VII where the smoke of Satan entered the Church.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Historian - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 01:22 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 01:08 PM)acatholiclife Wrote: And, regarding the other comment, burning NO missals isn't just fine - some may even consider it virtuous.

I agree...I would say burning all the NO missals would be great...along with all the document of VII and revert back to what the Church has always taught before VII where the smoke of Satan entered the Church.

I love this priest.  He used to be in the Society.  You can see him burning the documents of Vatican II in this video:

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - HotRod - 08-23-2011

you think the smoke of satan first entered the church at V2?  Give me a break.  V2 was just the breaking point of something that had been brewing in the church for quite some time.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Josué - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 06:37 PM)acatholiclife Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 01:22 PM)Petertherock Wrote:

Used to be in the Church?
I love this priest.  He used to be in the Society.  You can see him burning the documents of Vatican II in this video:

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - moneil - 08-26-2011

(08-22-2011, 01:54 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:53 AM)Gorgondie Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:49 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:   Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity
um... whaaa? so you deem Therese to have a greater understanding of holiness then Augustine becuase you say so... ya okay w.e guy

You're now qualified to determine that St. Therese had a greater understanding of holiness than did St. Augustine. (?)

And the others here (random lay folk, few if any who have any formal training in theolog ~ "idiots with keyboards", as Quis called us collectively [himself included]) yare now qualified to determine who is worthy of the title Doctor of the Church?

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Gorgondie - 08-26-2011

(08-26-2011, 12:28 PM)moneil Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:54 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:53 AM)Gorgondie Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:49 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:   Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity
um... whaaa? so you deem Therese to have a greater understanding of holiness then Augustine becuase you say so... ya okay w.e guy

You're now qualified to determine that St. Therese had a greater understanding of holiness than did St. Augustine. (?)

And the others here (random lay folk, few if any who have any formal training in theolog ~ "idiots with keyboards", as Quis called us collectively [himself included]) yare now qualified to determine who is worthy of the title Doctor of the Church?

I think most of us are qualified enough to see that St Therese is a women and not a man

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - moneil - 08-26-2011

(08-22-2011, 12:49 PM)K3vinhood Wrote:
Gorgondie Wrote:yes but the SSPX made it quite clear that while it my be "okay"... Its a result of the Church wanting feminist equality garbage

Exactly.
SSPX Wrote:We could legitimately ask the question why clergymen would feel the need to expand the notion of a Doctor to include women, and whether there is in this desire a deep-seated influence from the feminist egalitarianism that is one aspect of the post-Conciliar revolution in the Church. It certainly seems that this is the real motivation.

However, we must be aware that we are not using this term in the same way as it is used to indicate Doctors who are Confessors, whether Pontiffs or not. When applied to a Doctor who is a Virgin it takes on an analogical and quite different sense to that which it has for a Doctor who is a Confessor. These holy Virgins taught despite themselves, moved by divine inspiration, without having any pretense of having the public function of doing so. Furthermore, these Doctor Virgins can clearly not be assimilated to Doctor Confessors in the texts of the Liturgy. However, it is in the liturgical offices that the practical consequences of the title of "Doctor" are most felt, hence the bizarreness of Doctor Virgins, for whom there is no place in the traditional Mass.

There would be another "practical consequence of the ... bizarreness of Doctor Virgins" as it is pretty well documented that St. Augustine was no virgin.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Gorgondie - 08-26-2011

Um... It wouldnt matter if he was... men dont get the title virgin.. only women do