FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church (/showthread.php?tid=48159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Resurrexi - 08-22-2011

(08-22-2011, 02:42 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:36 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: Usually one who produces doctrine (i.e., teaching) is a doctor (i.e., teacher).

Well if you're going to include all teachers as doctors you might as well get rid of the title altogether.

The fact that people can't see the differences between St. Jerome and St.Thérèse of Lisieux and know why one is a doctor and one shouldn't be amazes me.

One was a cranky old man while the other was a good-natured young girl? Wink

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - K3vinhood - 08-22-2011

(08-22-2011, 02:45 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: One was a cranky old man while the other was a good-natured young girl? Wink

The cranky old man is crucial in the fact that he translated the bible into Latin as well as producing countless other theological writings and commentaries.

While St. Therese was a nun who wrote about her "little way".

If you don't see how St. Jerome and all the other Fathers have had a much greater impact on the Church and it's teachings then St. Therese has, you're blind.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Resurrexi - 08-22-2011

(08-22-2011, 02:52 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:45 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: One was a cranky old man while the other was a good-natured young girl? Wink

The cranky old man is crucial in the fact that he translated the bible into Latin as well as producing countless other theological writings and commentaries.

I'm quite aware of what St. Jerome did. I'm quite the fan of him, despite my poking fun at him above. Smile

(08-22-2011, 02:45 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: While St. Therese was a nun who wrote about her "little way".

I'd say St. Therese's "little way" has been a positive influence on the lives of many of the faithful, and St. Therese herself continues to be a very popular saint in general.

(08-22-2011, 02:45 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: If you don't see how St. Jerome and all the other Fathers have had a much greater impact on the Church and it's teachings then St. Therese has, you're blind.

St. Jerome is wonderful and deserves to be a doctor of the Church, but that doesn't mean that St. Therese shouldn't be a doctor of the Church, too, even if she's had less of an influence on the Church.

Obviously St. Thomas Aquinas has had a greater influence on the Church than St. Lawrence of Brindisi, but the latter is still deserving of the title doctor.

(08-22-2011, 02:42 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:36 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: Usually one who produces doctrine (i.e., teaching) is a doctor (i.e., teacher).

Well if you're going to include all teachers as doctors you might as well get rid of the title altogether.

The "heavenly teach" mentioned in St. Teresa of Avila's collect is of a very different nature from that of regular teachers, isn't it?

Moreover, if someone about a saint is important enough to find a way into his collect, it usually means it is something that the Church considers fundamental about the saint. In this case, it appears that the Church considers St. Teresa's "heavenly teaching" one of the more important things about her.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Vetus Ordo - 08-22-2011

We're just one step away from becoming like CAF.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Someone1776 - 08-22-2011

(08-22-2011, 09:56 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: We're just one step away from becoming like CAF.

Because people here agree with the SSPX that women doctors are fine?

Really?

So either you agree with Bishop Williamson or you're a modernist? 

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Gorgondie - 08-22-2011

yes but the SSPX made it quite clear that while it my be "okay"... Its a result of the Church wanting feminist equality garbage

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Gerard - 08-22-2011

Maybe the Pope should create a title of "Barefoot and Pregnant" and make it exclusively for great men. in the Church.  I guarantee, it would only be a matter of time before the clamor for women to be included would be manifest.  ( or personifest )

“Ten thousand women marched through the streets of London saying: ‘We will not be dictated to’, and then went off to become stenographers.”--G. K. Chesterton

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - K3vinhood - 08-22-2011

[quote='Someone1776' pid='857330' dateline='1314022675']
[quote='Vetus Ordo' pid='857317' dateline='1314021381']
We're just one step away from becoming like CAF.
[/quote]

Because people here agree with the SSPX that women doctors are fine?

Really?

So either you agree with Bishop Williamson or you're a modernist? 
[/quote]

[quote='Gorgondie']
yes but the SSPX made it quite clear that while it my be "okay"... Its a result of the Church wanting feminist equality garbage
[/quote]

Exactly.
[quote='SSPX']
We could legitimately ask the question why clergymen would feel the need to expand the notion of a Doctor to include women, and whether there is in this desire a deep-seated influence from the feminist egalitarianism that is one aspect of the post-Conciliar revolution in the Church. It certainly seems that this is the real motivation.

However, we must be aware that we are not using this term in the same way as it is used to indicate Doctors who are Confessors, whether Pontiffs or not. When applied to a Doctor who is a Virgin it takes on an analogical and quite different sense to that which it has for a Doctor who is a Confessor. These holy Virgins taught despite themselves, moved by divine inspiration, without having any pretense of having the public function of doing so. Furthermore, these Doctor Virgins can clearly not be assimilated to Doctor Confessors in the texts of the Liturgy. However, it is in the liturgical offices that the practical consequences of the title of "Doctor" are most felt, hence the bizarreness of Doctor Virgins, for whom there is no place in the traditional Mass.

Re: Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church - Someone1776 - 08-22-2011

(08-22-2011, 12:49 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: However, it is in the liturgical offices that the practical consequences of the title of "Doctor" are most felt, hence the bizarreness of Doctor Virgins, for whom there is no place in the traditional Mass.

Right, because the 1962 missal has no rubric to cover them.  However, you also edited out the part where they said these women were clearly worthy of being Doctors of the Church.