FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
lay person doing sermon a TLM - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: lay person doing sermon a TLM (/showthread.php?tid=48776)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

lay person doing sermon a TLM - a83192 - 09-11-2011

I was in a Diocesan Latin Mass today and a layman went up and did the sermon.  I don't think this is legit.  I left the church.  I believe they can't mix rites. Lay people are not allowed to speak in the sanctuary in the TLM.

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Louis_Martin - 09-11-2011

I thought this was incorrect too, but today a lay missionary from some Haiti group spoke during the sermon at the TLM parish I was visiting.

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Someone1776 - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 12:34 PM)a83192 Wrote: I was in a Diocesan Latin Mass today and a layman went up and did the sermon.  I don't think this is legit.  I left the church.  I believe they can't mix rites. Lay people are not allowed to speak in the sanctuary in the TLM.

They're not even supposed to do at the
NO.

(09-11-2011, 12:41 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: I thought this was incorrect too, but today a lay missionary from some Haiti group spoke during the sermon at the TLM parish I was visiting.

The sermon is an interruption of the mass, which is why the priest takes off the maniple during the sermon. I am not quite sure what rubrics if any exist for the TLM regarding the sermon. In the NO a lay person may occasionally give a few words (but not the sermon) if they have something very important to share (such as the work of a missionary).

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Louis_Martin - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 12:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 12:41 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: I thought this was incorrect too, but today a lay missionary from some Haiti group spoke during the sermon at the TLM parish I was visiting.

The sermon is an interruption of the mass, which is why the priest takes off the maniple during the sermon. I am not quite sure what rubrics if any exist for the TLM regarding the sermon. In the NO a lay person may occasionally give a few words (but not the sermon) if they have something very important to share (such as the work of a missionary).
Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)

(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 12:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)

As a former seminarian you would know better. In the NO I don't think there is such a prohibition otherwise the readers wouldn't usually be laity. In the TLM the one thing that comes to mind is the couple sitting in the sanctuary during a nuptial mass.

I have never seen a lay person speak during the sermon at the TLM (and I hope I never do) but other people have mentioned to me they have seen it happen, but with lay person speaking from outside the sanctuary.

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Resurrexi - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 12:34 PM)a83192 Wrote: I was in a Diocesan Latin Mass today and a layman went up and did the sermon.  I don't think this is legit.  I left the church.  I believe they can't mix rites. Lay people are not allowed to speak in the sanctuary in the TLM.

Was it a sermon, or was the layperson campaigning for a charitable organization? The latter would not be ideal, but it's something I can live with if it's only done once or twice a year.

There are a lot of less-than-ideal liturgical practices found at TLMs: vernacular hymns during Mass, women not covering their heads, lack of a cloth on the altar rail. None of these things would cause me to stop attending a particular TLM, though.

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Vetus Ordo - 09-11-2011

If "Blessed" John Paul II can do it with with half-naked women, so can ayone else.

Don't worry too much about these things. You'll get to Heaven anyway.

[Image: 018_BarebrstReads%20Gospel.jpg]

Re: lay person doing sermon a TLM - Vetus Ordo - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 12:59 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: There are a lot of less-than-ideal liturgical practices found at TLMs: vernacular hymns during Mass...

These are perfectly legitimate.