FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
NYC/JC area - Parish - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: NYC/JC area - Parish (/showthread.php?tid=48785)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

NYC/JC area - Parish - patricia m. - 09-11-2011

Do you recommend a parish in the New York City/Jersey City area? Which ones? And why?

Thanks - I'm in the process of finding a parish I like - Could do that on my own going to a mass each Sunday in a different church, but if someone in the region knows a really nice one it makes things easier for me.

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - Canisius12 - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 06:46 PM)patricia m. Wrote: Do you recommend a parish in the New York City/Jersey City area? Which ones? And why?

Thanks - I'm in the process of finding a parish I like - Could do that on my own going to a mass each Sunday in a different church, but if someone in the region knows a really nice one it makes things easier for me.

In NYC I would say Our Saviour Church on Park ave, TLM on Sunday excellent Pastor, Fr. Rutle, also Holy Innocents on 34th st near 7th ave TLM offered everyday, as for Jersey I would say St. Anthony of Padua in West Orange, this Parish is run by Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. Hope this helps

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - patricia m. - 09-11-2011

Thanks a lot, I'll try Our Saviour Church then, next Sunday. Good to hear that the pastor is good, I like to hear a good well prepared homily every Sunday. This Sunday I've been to the TLM mass at the Holy Rosary Church in JC (ever been there?) and unfortunately we had no homily. I think this is kind of unforgivable.

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - Louis_Martin - 09-11-2011

There is also Holy Rosary in Jersey City and St Agnes near Grand Central.

See you around!

ETA: oh you were at Holy Rosary today where I was as well. They normally have a sermon. Just I guess today was layperson giving a talk day!

(09-11-2011, 08:08 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: There is also Holy Rosary in Jersey City and St Agnes near Grand Central.

See you around!

Hi Louis, I was at Holy Rosary today. There was no homily, I got a bit disappointed to be honest.

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - Someone1776 - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 08:05 PM)patricia m. Wrote: Thanks a lot, I'll try Our Saviour Church then, next Sunday. Good to hear that the pastor is good, I like to hear a good well prepared homily every Sunday. This Sunday I've been to the TLM mass at the Holy Rosary Church in JC (ever been there?) and unfortunately we had no homily. I think this is kind of unforgivable.

The sermon is technically not part of the mass and it's fine not to have a sermon in the TLM (sermons are required on Sundays and days of Obligation in the NO unless there is a "serious reason.")

I do prefer masses with sermons, but it's good to be reminded from time to time that we don't attend church for the sermon.

Key difference between us and Protestants. 

(09-11-2011, 08:11 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:05 PM)patricia m. Wrote: Thanks a lot, I'll try Our Saviour Church then, next Sunday. Good to hear that the pastor is good, I like to hear a good well prepared homily every Sunday. This Sunday I've been to the TLM mass at the Holy Rosary Church in JC (ever been there?) and unfortunately we had no homily. I think this is kind of unforgivable.

The sermon is technically not part of the mass and it's fine not to have a sermon in the TLM (sermons are required on Sundays and days of Obligation in the NO unless there is a "serious reason.")

I do prefer masses with sermons, but it's good to be reminded from time to time that we don't attend church for the sermon.

Key difference between us and Protestants. 

Sermon is protestant, homily is catholic... :-) Ok, I agree with you that the main reason we go to church is not about the sermon, but I do feel that a well prepared and delivered sermon is *SO* inspiring.

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - Louis_Martin - 09-11-2011

Sermon is Latin. Homily is Greek. Both are Catholic.

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - Someone1776 - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 08:23 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Sermon is Latin. Homily is Greek. Both are Catholic.

In addition most traditional Catholics prefer the term sermon for whatever reason. 

Re: NYC/JC area - Parish - kingtheoden - 09-11-2011

I strongly advocate in favor of St. Anthony of Padua in West Orange.  At this community, the tradition only begins with the externals of the liturgy.  It is a true refuge that is exceedingly rare in our age.

(09-11-2011, 08:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:23 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Sermon is Latin. Homily is Greek. Both are Catholic.

In addition most traditional Catholics prefer the term sermon for whatever reason. 

I think this is similar to how we pray in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost whereas those who attend the New Rite instead pray in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Neither is wrong, but the latter tends to be linked with a more progressive liturgical approach and less so with organic, historical spirituality (instead favoring a 'new, happy' spirituality.)

In common speak, 'sermon' seems to imply an instructive lesson whereas 'homily' seems to suggest an interpretive reflection.