FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians (/showthread.php?tid=48895)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Someone1776 - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:26 PM)JayneK Wrote: Why would anybody seek out a group that they had been taught was a bunch of schismatics that must be avoided? 

I didn't even know about the group at all.  It wasn't even why "would anybody seek out a group that they had been taught was a bunch of schismatics that must be avoided?" In my case, why would anyone seek out a group that one did not know existed.  Had I even known about them I might have done some research on them as I was very dissatisfied.  But, never got that far. I am not sure how I was suppose to know the truth if no one had ever told me?

I first learned about the TLM when a NO priest began offering it.  I hadn't attended mass regularly in a few years, but decided I should go to an Ash Wednesday service.  I looked at mass times at the nearby parish and saw that there was something called a "traditional Latin mass" offered and I thought it might be cool. 

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Stubborn - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:26 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 01:19 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 12:29 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Now you want to hear what's funny? There was a SSPX chapel 20 minutes from where I lived. I had no idea. The chapel had not been listed in the Catholic directories I had looked up. None of the other unhappy Catholics I knew knew about it. It was completely invisible to me. And even if I had heard about as soon as someone said "oh they are not sanctioned by Rome and they have a bishop that denies the holocaust" I would have stopped thinking about them.

But, I never got that far. Had no idea they existed. And I visited the town where they were located at least weekly during this period as my girlfriend at the time lived there.

The SSPX was totally invisible to me. And it remains so to many Catholics. It could do so much more good if it no longer was.

It would not have been invisible had you been seeking for it.
Why would anybody seek out a group that they had been taught was a bunch of schismatics that must be avoided? 

That begs the question.......why would anyone believe any thing that the NO taught?

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Old Salt - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:30 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 01:26 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 01:19 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 12:29 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Now you want to hear what's funny? There was a SSPX chapel 20 minutes from where I lived. I had no idea. The chapel had not been listed in the Catholic directories I had looked up. None of the other unhappy Catholics I knew knew about it. It was completely invisible to me. And even if I had heard about as soon as someone said "oh they are not sanctioned by Rome and they have a bishop that denies the holocaust" I would have stopped thinking about them.

But, I never got that far. Had no idea they existed. And I visited the town where they were located at least weekly during this period as my girlfriend at the time lived there.

The SSPX was totally invisible to me. And it remains so to many Catholics. It could do so much more good if it no longer was.

It would not have been invisible had you been seeking for it.
Why would anybody seek out a group that they had been taught was a bunch of schismatics that must be avoided? 

That begs the question.......why would anyone believe any thing that the NO taught?
I learned all I know about the immemorial Faith whilst I was a child, only exposed to the Novus Ordo, and I have a fairly good grasp of the basics of the Catholic Faith.

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - JayneK - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:30 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 01:26 PM)JayneK Wrote: Why would anybody seek out a group that they had been taught was a bunch of schismatics that must be avoided? 

I became a Catholic in 1980.  I never saw anything but the NO.  I was taught in a liberal RCIA.  How would I have known there was anything else?  

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Stubborn - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:27 PM)dan hunter Wrote: Actually the NO can be as valid and licit as the TLM is.
For good or bad it was promulgated officially by a sitting Supreme Pontiff who had the authority to do so.
So the NO can be valid and licit.

Who cares that the pope had the authority? What does that really have to do with anything? I mean really.

The fact is the NOM is, at best, a caricature of the true mass. That fact alone makes it sinful AND illicit no matter who says otherwise.

As for validity - well, that ones been beat to death.

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - devotedknuckles - 09-16-2011

that explains everything jayne
no shit

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - Old Salt - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:33 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-16-2011, 01:27 PM)dan hunter Wrote: Actually the NO can be as valid and licit as the TLM is.
For good or bad it was promulgated officially by a sitting Supreme Pontiff who had the authority to do so.
So the NO can be valid and licit.

Who cares that the pope had the authority? What does that really have to do with anything? I mean really.

The fact is the NOM is, at best, a caricature of the true mass. That fact alone makes it sinful AND illicit no matter who says otherwise.

As for validity - well, that ones been beat to death.
I was merely addressing your following statement, which is wrong:
"The truth is the NO is neither valid or licit"

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - devotedknuckles - 09-16-2011

validity does not make a mass catholic. the orthodox have valid masses, shit a black mass can be valid. neither are catholic. the orthodox certainly is more catholic then the NO. the no is catholic in paperwork only. it has the paperwork to show a prod bastard mass it is as catholic.
its not
its very far from it

Re: Tornielli: “Peace” agreement reached between Vatican and Lefebvrians - FHM310 - 09-16-2011

(09-16-2011, 01:34 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: that explains everything jayne
no shit

:rofl:

(09-16-2011, 01:41 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: validity does not make a mass catholic. the orthodox have valid masses, shit a black mass can be valid. neither are catholic. the orthodox certainly is more catholic then the NO. the no is catholic in paperwork only. it has the paperwork to show a prod bastard mass it is as catholic.
its not
its very far from it
Stubborn said the NO is not valid, I was pointing out that he is wrong.