FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... (/showthread.php?tid=49100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Stubborn - 09-29-2011

(09-22-2011, 04:17 PM)dan hunter Wrote: I have read many Catholic books written well before the Council, some written centuries before, that use the term" Holy Spirit" to refer to the Third Person of the Trinity.
It is just hair splitting and not modernism or a threat to the Faith to say Holy Spirit.

Yes Dan, it is the language, like every thing in the NO, that was backdated. My point is that as a general rule, NOers do not say "Holy Ghost", they always say "Holy Spirit". The words have the same meaning, but the language used comes from the NO - and that often differentiates the Trad from the NOer. Simple hey?

From EWTN: The Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles.

From a trad site: The Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Ghost.

When was the last time anyone heard a NOer make the sign of the cross and say "Holy Ghost"? Or a NO priest say "Holy Ghost"? It may happen on occasion, but I am merely pointing out something that jumps out, or should jump out to trads that can help determine whether or not you're listening to someone with a NO bent or a trad.

If I were to hear a recording of a lecture or sermon etc and the priest references the "Holy Spirit" all the time, it's a pretty safe bet that that priest / person is not a trad, and I will usually shut off the recording immediately or remain alert for error.

So fwiw, consider this a heads up, knowing that pretty much all NOers have this same language in common next time you're listening to someone and you're not sure which flag the person waves.   

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Old Salt - 09-29-2011

I know Catholic priests who are pastors and curates of parishes who say both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

I just recently heard the SSPX priest at our SSPX chapel refer to the Third Person as "The Holy Spirit".

This issue of semantics does not matter.

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Stubborn - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 10:48 AM)dan hunter Wrote: I know Catholic priests who are pastors and curates of parishes who say both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

I just recently heard the SSPX priest at our SSPX chapel refer to the Third Person as "The Holy Spirit".

I also heard an SSPX priest say HS pretty consistently - he was an ex-NOer.........it only took about 3 months till he broke himself of it.

Once you start listening for it - you'll find that it stands out like a sore thumb.

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Old Salt - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 11:07 AM)Stubborn Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 10:48 AM)dan hunter Wrote: I know Catholic priests who are pastors and curates of parishes who say both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

I also heard an SSPX priest say HS pretty consistently - he was an ex-NOer.........it only took about 3 months till he broke himself of it.
The SSPX priest that I heard say "Holy Spirit" was ordained an SSPX priest in 1982, has always been an SSPX priest.

(09-29-2011, 11:11 AM)dan hunter Wrote:

The SSPX priest that I heard say "Holy Spirit" was ordained an SSPX priest in 1982, has always been an SSPX priest.

Sorry, but you are full of it - just calling it like I see it.

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - newyorkcatholic - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 11:12 AM)Stubborn Wrote:

That's one response when a an observation doesn't fit with your theory ...

You could also consider, maybe just consider, that your "Spirit vs Ghost" dichotomy theory might be of human origin and could be ... wrong.

(09-29-2011, 11:15 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

That's one response when a an observation doesn't fit with your theory ...

You could also consider, maybe just consider, that your "Spirit vs Ghost" dichotomy theory might be of human origin and could be ... wrong.

Feel free to show a Trad saying "Holy Spirit" or a NOer saying "Holy Ghost" consistently - - it is all up to you.

No I am not.
I sit in the front row of the SSPX Mass and heard Father, who has been ordained an SSPX priest since 1982, refer to the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity as "The Holy Spirit".
He has done this before.
Where you there?

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - Vetus Ordo - 09-29-2011

Anglicans say Holy Ghost.

That means something.

Re: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI.... - archdiocesan - 09-29-2011

Quote:Like all heretics, the Cathari claimed that their doctrine was the true Christianity. They kept the Christian terminology while distorting the essence of the dogmas. They said that the Christ was the most perfect of the angels and that the Holy Spirit was a creature inferior to the Son.

http://www.sspx.org/against_sound_bites/defense_of_the_inquisition.htm
Quote:Such was true too of Moses, who was tempered by God in forty years of shepherding in the desert. It was true of the Apostles, who withdrew to the upper room for 8 days under the direction of the Holy Spirit. This too was true of the Desert Fathers, the men who taught in word and example the essentials of Catholic spirituality.

http://www.sspx.org/miscellaneous/history_of_the_ignatian_reteat.htm
Quote:This application, this necessity to respond to the needs of each era and protect souls against errors properly constitutes, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the divine force of a certain development of doctrine, e.g., new dogmatic definitions.

http://www.sspx.org/miscellaneous/true_notion_of_tradition.htm
Quote:That is why, in his Infallible Magisterium, the pope enjoys: the positive assistance of the Holy Spirit so that he can attain the truth, and the negative assistance which preserves him from error.

http://www.sspx.org/miscellaneous/infallible_magisterium.htm
Quote:On the card we also see signs for the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, depicting Joseph’s faithfulness to God.

http://www.sspx.org/Seasonal/st_joseph_march_an_illustrated_commentary.htm
Quote:When the supreme leader of the Church, which is “the teacher of truth” and infallible by the grace of her Founder, admits his ignorance about the very purpose of his mission—to transmit the faith which saves—then one may reasonably conclude that the Holy Spirit has gone on a long vacation.

http://www.sspx.org/news/enlightenment_pope/enlightenment_pope-notes_on_benedict_xvi_recent_book-fr_nicolas_portail.htm
Quote:How could You justify this invitation by affirming that the Holy Spirit dwells mysteriously in every man, whereas St. Paul teaches the contrary (Rm 8:9)?

http://www.sspx.org/superior_generals_news/papal/openletter_of_fellay_to_pope.html