FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
work and conscience - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: work and conscience (/showthread.php?tid=49463)

Pages: 1 2 3

work and conscience - little_flower10 - 10-03-2011

Hi,

I was wondering what you all think about this... if you are working or volunteering, and your supervisor/boss/someone in charge asks you to do something that you dont feel comfortable with... is it wrong if you still do it? I don't mean something like giving out contraception or assisting at an abortion, or being an accomplice in fraud, theft, etc. But for example, if you're asked to put up Halloween decorations (including witches etc) in a place like a school, where there are a lot of kids, but you don't support Halloween. Would that be a sin if you still did it, though you don't want to? Or, if you're a teacher and kids in your class are reading or ordering books that involve the occult (like many modern pre-teen books do). On a related note, what about using products of companies that support gay rights, or support Planned Parenthood? I heard that even YouTube supports gay rights, and I have videos on YouTube (they're faith-related).

Is all this a sin? or what is?

Re: work and conscience - voxxpopulisuxx - 10-03-2011

(10-03-2011, 12:41 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: Hi,

I was wondering what you all think about this... if you are working or volunteering, and your supervisor/boss/someone in charge asks you to do something that you dont feel comfortable with... is it wrong if you still do it? I don't mean something like giving out contraception or assisting at an abortion, or being an accomplice in fraud, theft, etc. But for example, if you're asked to put up Halloween decorations (including witches etc) in a place like a school, where there are a lot of kids, but you don't support Halloween. Would that be a sin if you still did it, though you don't want to? Or, if you're a teacher and kids in your class are reading or ordering books that involve the occult (like many modern pre-teen books do). On a related note, what about using products of companies that support gay rights, or support Planned Parenthood? I heard that even YouTube supports gay rights, and I have videos on YouTube (they're faith-related).

if something violates a sincerely believed scruple it is a sin against charity to proceed IMO.

Re: work and conscience - little_flower10 - 10-03-2011

(10-03-2011, 01:48 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(10-03-2011, 12:41 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: Hi,

if something violates a sincerely believed scruple it is a sin against charity to proceed IMO.

but doesn't sin also require the person to agree to it, and will to do it? what if it is against their will but they are ordered by someone to do it? Is it still a sin then?

I'm not sure what to do in these situations...

Re: work and conscience - Iolanthe - 10-03-2011

There's nothing sinful about Halloween, Harry Potter, or Youtube. End of.

Re: work and conscience - little_flower10 - 10-03-2011

(10-03-2011, 01:59 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: There's nothing sinful about Halloween, Harry Potter, or Youtube. End of.
I am not comfortable with Halloween..

(10-03-2011, 02:01 PM)little_flower10 Wrote:
(10-03-2011, 01:59 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: There's nothing sinful about Halloween, Harry Potter, or Youtube. End of.

It has never been condemned by the Church. Many devout Catholics celebrate it. This sounds like a scruple. If you don't like it, that's a personal preference, and not a question of sin. It's important to understand the difference. We're not protestants who make something into a sin just because we happen not to like it.

Re: work and conscience - cgraye - 10-03-2011

Nevertheless, it is a good question.  Do we sin by doing something that we believe is wrong only erroneously?  I believe St. Thomas Aquinas said yes, we do.  We must follow our consciences.  Of course, we must also form our consciences according to the teachings of the Church.  Sometimes it is difficult because not every wrong thing can be specifically condemned by the Church, so there is no easy answer.  But in a case like hanging up Halloween decorations at school, why not ask a priest if you are unsure?  I'm pretty sure he would tell you that that is just fine.  And even if it still bothers you, you should probably just go ahead and do it out of trust in the priest's guidance and respect for your boss.  We must remember that we do not have all the answers ourselves and have to trust in those with more knowledge and authority.  As for the other examples, there are principals of how far an act is separated from the evil means that enable it.  If you feel unsure, again, ask a priest.  Part of their job is to help guide us in these matters.

Re: work and conscience - voxxpopulisuxx - 10-03-2011

you didnt mention in the op if you were being COMPELLED to do these things. The question then is are you willing to suffer persecution for a sincerely held scruple.

There is no such thing as a sincerely held scruple. Scruples are inherently bad and destructive, and should never be entertained. They are a temptation.

Re: work and conscience - OCLittleFlower - 10-03-2011

(10-03-2011, 02:01 PM)little_flower10 Wrote:

Then don't celebrate it.  It isn't a sin.

Our family rule has always been that we are allowed to celebrate it but that we aren't allowed to dress as anything satanic.  Or as anything skanky.