FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
anybody got good recipe for gravy n biscuits? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: anybody got good recipe for gravy n biscuits? (/showthread.php?tid=50841)

anybody got good recipe for gravy n biscuits? - Arun - 11-19-2011

I know I could google it but this way I can get tried and true recipes from people, and active feedback/advice on making it.

finger lickin good lol.

Re: anybody got good recipe for gravy n biscuits? - AdOrientem - 11-19-2011

My mom taught me more a "how-to" than an actual recipe (i.e., basic ingredients / procedures, not actual quantities).  This is for the gravy part, it assumes you've already got the biscuits.

You have to have flour, a fat (melted butter, vegetable oil, meat drippings, etc.), salt, pepper and milk.

You first heat the fat - about 2 to 4 tablespoons, depending on how much gravy you want - to medium-low heat in a skillet.

*** If you're making sausage gravy, you brown - and crumble as you brown - bulk sausage and save just enough of the drippings to make whatever amount of gravy you want.  After the sausage is cooked, it's best to just take it out of the skillet and into a bowl or other container until the gravy's done so you have "room to work" in the skillet. ***

Once you're to the point where the fat has reached medium-low heat, you make a "roux" (pronounced "ROO") by sprinkling the flour - I usually use about 1/4 cup for 4 servings - over the fat in the skillet and mix to make a thick paste.  You don't have to worry about lumpy gravy if you're careful to mix the fat and flour together thoroughly.

I like to "toast" my roux a bit to give the gravy more flavor so it cook it, stirring constantly, until it's a light tan color.  Once the roux has been cooked the way I like it, I slowly stir in the milk - about 1 1/2 to 2 cups - to thoroughly blend it and the roux together.

Don't worry if the resulting mixture looks too thin or a bit lumpy as this will work out once it starts to simmer.  It's best to start with a bit more flour than think you need, since it's easier to thin the gravy out by adding more milk to gravy that's too thick than it is to cook up more roux separately and add it the gravy that you've made to thin and runny.

Once it starts to simmer, season it to taste with salt and pepper and your gravy will be done pretty quickly and ready to eat after that.  If it's sausage gravy you've made, you can stir in the cooked sausage just enough to reheat the sausage and chow down!

Like I said above, if it turns out that you've got a skillet full of "wallpaper paste", don't freak out, just stir in more milk - and cook the gravy longer to heat the added milk - until you've got it to the consistency you want.

Hope you'll try it and that you like it when you do!