FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Conformity via Tattoos - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Conformity via Tattoos (/showthread.php?tid=51101)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Conformity via Tattoos - Jackson K. Eskew - 11-28-2011

As we know, many continue to confirm their conformity to the world by branding themselves with tattoos. Incredibly, even many Catholics now shamelessly conform themselves to this base neopaganism. Such is the gravitational force of today's antinomian cultural aspirations. The race to the bottom indeed continues at full speed.

Anyway, if you've come across a good essay analyzing this mass branding conformity from a Catholic perspective, kindly share it with us. In return, I'll point you to this devastating analysis by Theodore Dalrymple (pen-name of psychiatrist Dr. Anthony Daniels), which occurs in the context of a book review:

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/demello-dalrymple-2647

Those who read this will find that today's tattoo branding phenomenon is about far more than aesthetics.

Excerpt:

"Why do members of the middle classes now adorn themselves in this savage fashion? The author draws not only on her own experience, but also upon that of tattooists and their customers. She believes that tattoos have philosophical meaning for those who bear them. The philosophy in question is a witches’ brew of new age “spiritualism,” ecological paganism, elevation of the primitive, and vegetarianism. It is the kind of philosophy that emerges when religious feeling is no longer disciplined by religious ritual that is established by tradition and upheld by social pressure."

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - Jackson K. Eskew - 11-28-2011

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - Walty - 11-28-2011

Ehhh.  I have a tattoo (religious) and I think it's fine.  It's a personal reminder toward piety.  There's an aesthetic appeal, sure.  I guess you could call that "conformist", but everyone conforms to some societal norms and/or subcultures in some way.  I'm sure you don't run around in totally creative and original clothing.  Some of your clothing and/or practices probably have pagan origins.

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - The Curt Jester - 11-28-2011

I remember watching part of some documentary on Japan and how they used to use tattoos to mark criminals.  The criminals started getting more and more to hide the original tattoos. 

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - Vetus Ordo - 11-28-2011

(11-28-2011, 07:49 PM)Jackson K. Eskew Wrote: "The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence."

The same can be said of anything concerning aesthetics: clothes, hair, perfume, earrings, piercings, beards, shoes, etc.

In such a case, there's no woman alive that would survive the charges of superficiality.

(11-28-2011, 07:59 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-28-2011, 07:49 PM)Jackson K. Eskew Wrote: "The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence."

The same can be said of anything concerning aesthetics: clothes, hair, perfume, earrings, piercings, beards, shoes, etc.

In such a case, there's no woman alive that would survive the charges of superficiality.

Exactly.  It seems to me that a lot of trads must be reminded that not everyone is called to asceticism.  In fact, part of modesty and portraying the Church in a good light is wearing respectable and classy/tasteful clothing.  This may be a gateway to pride, but so are sack clothe dresses when you're living in public (and not a monastery).

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - Jackson K. Eskew - 11-28-2011

Walty and Vetus, my respect for your intelligence demands that I take it for granted that you see through the assertions you've just made.

At any rate, I'm really interested here not in arguing with anybody (as I've had this argument elsewhere many times and have learned the futility of it), but in being pointed to a good Catholic essay on it. Whether all of you choose to argue among yourselves about it is of course beyond my control.

I again bid you cheers.

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - Vetus Ordo - 11-28-2011

The only assertion I wish to make here is that tattoos aren't inherently evil or sinful and that in and of themselves are void of any spiritual significance, either good or bad.

Of course, the prudence of having one is debatable, not to mention the good taste.

(11-28-2011, 08:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The only assertion I wish to make here is that tattoos aren't inherently evil or sinful and that in and of themselves are void of any spiritual significance, either good or bad.

That's my assertion as well.  And, if we are to be intellectually honest with ourselves, when we question tattoos we should be questioning all sorts of practices (such as ear piercings) which trads often take for granted.

Re: Conformity via Tattoos - joe17 - 11-28-2011

I just thought that I would add that tattoo's, or the legalisation of them can be shown to have bad consequences.  I bring this up because my home state did not permit legal tattoo parlors until about the year 2000.  Before then, yes, of course there were people who lived in this state who had tattoos.  But,  they, for the most part, had to go elswhere to get them.  By that being the case,  the number of young people getting tattoos(early 20's and under crowd) was much less.  If you pay attention out there, the prolifigation is easily noticeable.  When I was younger, the numbers for young people just were not so high.  Now,  whether it is a few letters on the wrist/neck, or a tiger or some other image elsewhere, it is for everyone to see and you are stuck for it, for the most part for life.
 If the state had them still outlawed, then many of the people would not have them and not have to face the embarassment of the things later in life.  An example of how the government can actually safeguard her charges.
Don't go and mark up your body.  If you are a Christian, then you are a temple of the Holy Ghost.  
The only true indelible marks I would care to have is the baptismal and confirmation marks(if a priest, that one too!)
 I don't condemn anyone that may have gotten one in the past; we have all done things that we later regret  Move on.  I would not advise anyone to go out and get one though.

Joe