FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde (/showthread.php?tid=51875)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - DrBombay - 12-29-2011

(12-29-2011, 01:12 AM)Walty Wrote:
(12-28-2011, 11:53 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I suggest the good father engage in a public debate with the Dimonds and sell a professional recording of said debate for the low, low price of $19.95.  That will help to further expose the Crisis the Church is currently enmeshed in.  And help put some money in father's pocket too.  Poor independent priests without a pope to piss on need all the money they can get. 

You should grow a pair and show some respect.

I've always respected you Walty.

As for those claiming to be Catholic priests who deny the authority of the bishop of Rome based on a 1970s tract they read from Tan books.  Well...my respect might be a bit lacking, true....

Re: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - Walty - 12-29-2011

(12-29-2011, 01:22 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-28-2011, 11:53 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I suggest the good father engage in a public debate with the Dimonds and sell a professional recording of said debate for the low, low price of $19.95.  That will help to further expose the Crisis the Church is currently enmeshed in.  And help put some money in father's pocket too.  Poor independent priests without a pope to piss on need all the money they can get. 

As for those claiming to be Catholic priests who deny the authority of the bishop of Rome based on a 1970s tract they read from Tan books.  Well...my respect might be a bit lacking, true....

Fine, but there is still a level of respect that even the Dimond Brothers should receive.  Maybe this sounds kitschy, but I do think that the old axiom of "Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say" is a good one.

I'm kind of bummed by all of your recent posts.  Whether you agree with many of the trad arguments on FE or not, you've come across as pretty angry and spiteful.  On a personal level, I hope you get whatever is going on sorted out.  It was fun to rib back and forth with you, but I respected you as well and I miss the old Doc.  No homo.

Re: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - Someone1776 - 12-29-2011

Father Cekada is without question validly ordained.  He was ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre.  He is a priest and will remain one for the rest of his life no matter what opinions he holds.  He's able to perform the sacrament of the Eucharist, and anyone who can do that deserves a certain amount of respect.  

Re: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - Heinrich - 12-29-2011

(12-29-2011, 01:35 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Father Cekada is without question validly ordained.  He was ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre.  He is a priest and will remain one for the rest of his life no matter what opinions he holds.  He's able to perform the sacrament of the Eucharist, and anyone who can do that deserves a certain amount of respect.  

On

(12-29-2011, 01:35 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Indeed.

Re: Dealing with the Deceptive Dimond Demimonde - Vetus Ordo - 12-29-2011

What about a heretical priest? What kind of respect is due to a heretical clergyman?

I'm not talking about Fr. Cekada here but this question just popped into my mind.

(12-29-2011, 01:46 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: What about a heretical priest? What kind of respect is due to a heretical clergyman?

I'm not talking about Fr. Cekada here but this question just popped into my mind.

They deserve a certain amount of respect 1) for being able to celebrate the sacraments and bring Jesus Christ into the world, and 2) for being a fellow human being.

(12-29-2011, 01:49 AM)Walty Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 01:46 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: What about a heretical priest? What kind of respect is due to a heretical clergyman?

They deserve a certain amount of respect 1) for being able to celebrate the sacraments and bring Jesus Christ into the world, and 2) for being a fellow human being.

I was thinking more in the lines of formal respect, address, etc. Furthermore it's not entirely clear that a heretical priest will celebrate the sacraments at all since he will easily and most certainly lack intent or alter the form and matter to suit his doctrinal deviancies.

But for the sake of the argument let's take an Eastern Orthodox priest, a Coptic priest and an Anglo-Catholic priest with an old Catholic (valid) lineage: should they all be shown the same amount of respect and deference we ought to show a Catholic priest?

(12-29-2011, 01:58 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 01:49 AM)Walty Wrote:

I was thinking more in the lines of formal respect, address, etc. Furthermore it's not entirely clear that a heretical priest will celebrate the sacraments at all since he will easily and most certainly lack intent or alter the form and matter to suit his doctrinal deviancies.

But for the sake of the argument let's take an Eastern Orthodox priest, a Coptic priest and an Anglo-Catholic priest with an old Catholic (valid) lineage: should they all be shown the same amount of respect and deference we ought to show a Catholic priest?

No.  The Catholic priest should be shown the most formal respect, for he is a priest of Christ's Church.  An Orthodox and Coptic priest (the Copts have valid orders, right?) should be shown respect (to a lesser degree) for, at least in potentiality, being able to an alter Chrsitus.  The same, I suppose, should be said of the Old Catholic priest.

This isn't to say that just because we show each other respect that all but the Catholic priest are not in grave error.  They are, and our view on that should not be kept silent in the correct setting.  It just should be made with a certain degree of respect, however, given the fact that they have been validly ordained to procure the sacraments.

I understand and I generally agree.

I guess we've come a long way since the days of the Council of Constance, whose fathers could boldly justify their treachery against Fr. John Huss by saying "that faith need not be kept with heretics."