FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? (/showthread.php?tid=52162)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - Mithrandylan - 01-07-2012

I wanted to help to better understand prayers that address the Blessed Virgin and her "mercy."  What comes to mind immediately is the Memorarae. which ends ... and in thy mercy hear and answer us/our petitions."  I've heard other prayers that I can't think of that address Our Lady in the context of mercy as well although can't think of them at the moment.

Obviously we revere Mary more than any other saint, but something doesn't sit right when I hear/read/say a prayer asking for her mercy because it seems that is God's to give, hence why it's "Name of God <i>have mercy on us</i>" and "Name of saint <i>pray for us.</i>" 

We ask for saints and Mary's intercession as a kind of intermediary between us and God, right?  It is <b>not</b> because a particular saint or the BVM can grant anything that isn't God's will anyways.  Our Lady isn't a way of getting around God, and same with the saints- their will is uniformed to His, so when we pray to them, whatever miracles God would work through them He choses to work through them, He doesn't "change His mind" or "decide" to because they had some influence on Him, it's as He has already ordained it to be.  He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy, it doesn't seem correct that we would ask for a saint's mercy because they don't have it in any useful capacity, right?

So why do we ask for the Blessed Virgin's mercy?

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - SCG - 01-07-2012

Mary is called “Mother of Mercy” because Christ, her Son, is mercy.. I see Mary's "mercy" as a tender compassion for her children. Of course this is a reflection of Jesus' love for souls, her will being totally one with His. We are, as I see it, simply asking her to regard us with motherly compassion in this valley of tears and to lead us to her Son, the King of Mercy. It doesn't mean that Mary holds the power to exercise divine judgment.

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - Vetus Ordo - 01-07-2012

I've actually never heard a prayer asking our Lady to have "mercy on us" but if that were the case, I'd say that it's just an unfortunate manifestation of the excessive marianism that became so popular in counterreformed catholicism.

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - PeterII - 01-07-2012

Since mercy is defined as showing compassion on a someone, particularly an offender, it makes perfect sense to ask for mercy from the Blessed Virgin Mary who is mediatrix of all graces. 

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - Mithrandylan - 01-07-2012

(01-07-2012, 09:26 PM)PeterII Wrote: Since mercy is defined as showing compassion on a someone, particularly an offender, it makes perfect sense to ask for mercy from the Blessed Virgin Mary who is mediatrix of all graces. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for God's mercy, through her?

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - PeterII - 01-07-2012

(01-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 09:26 PM)PeterII Wrote: Since mercy is defined as showing compassion on a someone, particularly an offender, it makes perfect sense to ask for mercy from the Blessed Virgin Mary who is mediatrix of all graces. 

Not really.  We're asking for compassion from the BVM herself who is interceding for us and dispensing the grace. 

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - Vetus Ordo - 01-07-2012

(01-07-2012, 09:56 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

Not really.  We're asking for compassion from the BVM herself who is interceding for us and dispensing the grace. 

So kyrie eleison becomes a bit obsolete in that scenario, wouldn't you say?

(01-07-2012, 09:59 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 09:56 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [quote='PeterII' pid='950666' dateline='1325985982']
Since mercy is defined as showing compassion on a someone, particularly an offender, it makes perfect sense to ask for mercy from the Blessed Virgin Mary who is mediatrix of all graces. 

The grace is God's, dispensed through her.  She only dispenses grace through God, and it is His mercy responsible for our reception of it, even if it is through her. 

Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - SCG - 01-07-2012

(01-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for God's mercy, through her?

The Church, in her official prayer, always prays to God the Father through Christ Our Lord, often asking the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Think of the Blessed Mother praying with us as she did with the apostles in the upper room at Pentecost.

(01-07-2012, 10:02 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for God's mercy, through her?

The Church, in her official prayer, always prays to God the Father through Christ Our Lord, often asking the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Think of the Blessed Mother praying with us as she did with the apostles in the upper room at Pentecost.

Yes, that is why we <i>pray</i> to her.  I'm trying to understand why we would ask for her mercy.