FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued (/showthread.php?tid=52326)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Tradchick - 01-12-2012

Unbelievable! The bishop that moved Fr. Rodriguez to a ghost town is now filing a lawsuit against him.

http://m.elpasotimes.com/elpasotimes/db_22762/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jmww63DG

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Mithrandylan - 01-12-2012

Wait, I thought Ochoa was transferred?

Sue?  He really hates Fr. Rodriguez.  It's super clear now.  If he thought Father was mishandling funds, he would appeal to an ecclesiastical authority.  Banishing Father R to the middle of no-where is not good enough for Ochoa.  That man needs prayers.  He is sick.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Misplaced Zeal - 01-12-2012

I read through the original petition at http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site525/2012/0112/20120112_072137_bishop%20ochoa.pdf

There are serious allegations of converting donated funds to personal use that if true Fr. Rodriguez should be held accountable for.  Some of the allegations are just downright silly though.  Of particular interest here, check out this rather telling (IMO) "Fact" supporting a breach of fiduciary duty they included:

Quote:32. Fr. Rodriguez has breached his fiduciary obligations to Bishop Ochoa in that he has:

[ . . .]

(m) Fraudulently solicited funds from parishioners for the renovation of the church sanctuary to comply with the ancient norms of the Roman Rite when he knew that such a renovation would never be approved by Bishop Ochoa.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Tradchick - 01-12-2012

(01-12-2012, 10:54 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: I read through the original petition at http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site525/2012/0112/20120112_072137_bishop%20ochoa.pdf

There are serious allegations of converting donated funds to personal use that if true Fr. Rodriguez should be held accountable for.  Some of the allegations are just downright silly though.   Of particular interest here, check out this rather telling (IMO) "Fact" supporting a breach of fiduciary duty they included:

Quote:32. Fr. Rodriguez has breached his fiduciary obligations to Bishop Ochoa in that he has:

[ . . .]

(m) Fraudulently solicited funds from parishioners for the renovation of the church sanctuary to comply with the ancient norms of the Roman Rite when he knew that such a renovation would never be approved by Bishop Ochoa.

That is silly. They are called donations, not solicited funds. The money that came in renovated and upgraded that old Church.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - salus - 01-13-2012

Bishop Ochoa remains Apostol;ic Administrater of El Paso until he officially is installed in Fresno.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - alphonsusjr - 01-13-2012

(01-12-2012, 10:28 PM)Tradchick Wrote: Unbelievable! The bishop that moved Fr. Rodriguez to a ghost town is now filing a lawsuit against him.

http://m.elpasotimes.com/elpasotimes/db_22762/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jmww63DG

This really makes me mad. I want God to strike down this Ochoa asap.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - damooster - 01-13-2012

Perhaps you guys should read the court documents in its entirety. If what Fr. Rodriguez is accused of is true, then I totally understand why the bishop sued him. It sounds like the bishop was notified by two former parishioners of improper financial practices, the bishop requested information, and Fr. Rodriguez is refusing to give him the information. Since there are parishioner funds tied into this, I understand why the bishop is suing to get that information.
Quote:I read through the original petition at http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site525/2012/0112/20120112_072137_bishop%20ochoa.pdf

There are serious allegations of converting donated funds to personal use that if true Fr. Rodriguez should be held accountable for.  Some of the allegations are just downright silly though.  Of particular interest here, check out this rather telling (IMO) "Fact" supporting a breach of fiduciary duty they included:

32. Fr. Rodriguez has breached his fiduciary obligations to Bishop Ochoa in that he has:

[ . . .]

I think this statement was included to show intent. This is a court document; it has to be thorough.
Quote:That is silly. They are called donations, not solicited funds. The money that came in renovated and upgraded that old Church.

If he asked for the money, which it sounds like he did, the funds were solicited for. And apparently not all of the money was used for renovation because two parishioners complained that money was being asked for but nothing was built or renovated since 2009.

I thought it was disgusting for Bishop Ochoa to send Fr. Rodriguez away, but perhaps this had something to do with it. The court documents show that the parishioners complained on Sept. 7th, 2011 and that Fr. Rodriguez was notified of the complaints on Sept. 20th, 2011. He was transferred on Sept. 22nd.

I really hope that Fr. Rodriguez can explain all of this, but it's not looking good.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Misplaced Zeal - 01-13-2012

Response from Fr. Rodriguez: http://the-american-catholic.com/2012/01/12/bishop-ochoa-files-legal-action-against-fr-michael-rodriguez-fr-rodriguez-responds/

It is unfortunate that Bishop Armando Ochoa, Administrator of the Diocese of El Paso and no longer our bishop, has decided to pursue legal action against me.  Such legal action is unjust.

Over the course of 9 1/2 years as the parish priest of San Juan Bautista Catholic Church, I poured my heart and soul into caring for this parish, both in terms of temporal goods, and especially spiritual goods.  I’m confident that hundreds of my former parishioners will eagerly testify to this.

In his January 11, 2012, press release, Bishop Ochoa stated, “Fr. Rodríguez’s handling and use of donated funds has compromised the financial integrity of San Juan Bautista.”  This is not true.  Bishop Ochoa’s statement also refers to “Fr. Rodríguez’s mishandling of funds.”  Again, this is not true.  I have always honored, respected, and made good use of the financial patrimony of San Juan Bautista.  I stake my entire reputation on this claim.

On September 20, 2011, I opened my heart to my bishop, like a son to a father, and was completely honest and forthcoming with him as to the financial affairs of San Juan Bautista.  I told him everything.  He chose not to believe me.  For the past four months, my canon lawyer has made repeated efforts to resolve this matter with Most Rev. Armando Ochoa, and he has refused.

I have a great love for my former parish of San Juan Bautista, and my former parishioners.  I am ready to fight for and defend them, whatever the cost.  I am also ready to protect my own good name and reputation.  I have never misappropriated or misused parish funds.

Finally, I am convinced that the real reason for my former bishop’s actions against me is due to my defense of the Catholic Church’s teaching with regard to homosexuality as well as my adherence to the Roman Liturgy of 1962.  If necessary, I will present prodigious evidence to support this contention.

I will continue to do my best to be a good and holy priest, no matter the cost.  I will continue to proclaim and teach the truths of the Roman Catholic Church, especially in the area of sexual morality, no matter the cost.  I will continue to adhere to the Ancient Rite of the Roman Catholic Church, no matter the cost.  Please keep me in your prayers during this difficult trial.  Please entrust me and my priesthood to the loving protection of Sancta Dei Genetrix, the Most Holy Mother of God.

Thank you and may the good Lord bless you as this joyous Christmas season continues.

End of statement.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Historian - 01-13-2012

I liked Fr. Rodriguez response, but this is all troubling. Who knows what is going on and what the facts are. I don't want to know. I don't care. I just want justice to be done - whatever that will mean in this particular case. Let it be done according to His will. Praying for all involved.

Re: Fr. Rodriguez getting sued - Tapatio - 01-13-2012

Remember this people.  A few years from now, a scandal will arise pertaining to Bishop Ochoa.
Just as Bishop Joseph Ferrario in Honolulu after "excommunicating" the Hawaii-6, 2 years later, resigned as Bishop of Honolulu because of sexual charges against him, he also fathered 2 children and used Church funds to pay off the mothers.
Yes, officially he resigned due to health issues.....

Something tells me Bishop Ochoa has skeletons in his closet. Keep a watchful eye on that bishop.
He is part of the  "Spirit of Vatican 2" bishops...