FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Protestant Exorcisms - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Protestant Exorcisms (/showthread.php?tid=52491)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Protestant Exorcisms - LoyalVIews - 01-18-2012

I'm curious. Would a Protestant exorcism work...since the person performing it might (probably) be a heretic? How about if a Priest helped (cooperated with) a protestant "minister" to perform an Exorcism (hypothetically, as I can't see how on earth that'd work).

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - formerbuddhist - 01-18-2012

Father Chad Ripperger FSSP has a conference on spiritual warfare at his sensustraditionis.org website where he mentions Protestant exorcisms in passing. One case he mentions some Protestants who got beaten by the posessed person  to within an inch of their life and if I remember correctly the demon said (through the persons mouth of course) "you have no authority over me" or something like that. He says there are stronger and weaker demons and sometimes Protestants, Orthodox, etc. can do them in the name of Christ but it is best to have a Catholic priest who has faculties from a bishop performing it. Father R. says that the demons actually know whether you have faculties or not and in some cases you will get no where without them.

As for interdenominational exorcisms, I have heard from an Orthodox priest that some Orthodox have collaborated with Catholics in spiritual warfare stuff but whether or not they actually worked together on a case is uncertain. I don't know about Protestants actually working with Catholics either.

I do know that Father Amorth in one of his books says that today unfortunately it is usually Protestants who actually take spiritual warfare seriously and how so many within the Catholic Church think demonic influence is a joke. I imagine some Pentacostal groups, etc are probably somewhat successful and that those that get turned away by Catholic priests and bishops will go seek them out.  An interesting topic nonetheless.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Walty - 01-19-2012

I believe that Protestant exorcisms can work to varying degrees, but I highly doubt that any really end successfully.  The Protestant minister is using the name of Jesus Christ and is praying to Jesus Christ for these possessed individuals.  The Name alone, I assume, in some mysterious way holds sway over these demons, and the fact that these ministers are, at least partially, followers of Christ gives them a certain dominance over the demons.

However, we know that they are not part of the priesthood and do not have the Church's remedy for possession, the rite of exorcism.  In the end, I'm sure the demons continue their possession even if they are only fought down for a short period of time.

It's also worth considering the fact that demons are, of course, tricksters and liars.  They may pretend to be thwarted by a Protestant so as to steal souls away from the Church and to keep them in heresy.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - mikemac - 01-19-2012

A couple of years ago I read a Protestant web site that was calling for more Catholic exorcists because what they were doing wasn't working.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Gerard - 01-19-2012

(01-19-2012, 01:02 AM)Walty Wrote: I believe that Protestant exorcisms can work to varying degrees, but I highly doubt that any really end successfully.  The Protestant minister is using the name of Jesus Christ and is praying to Jesus Christ for these possessed individuals.  The Name alone, I assume, in some mysterious way holds sway over these demons, and the fact that these ministers are, at least partially, followers of Christ gives them a certain dominance over the demons.

However, we know that they are not part of the priesthood and do not have the Church's remedy for possession, the rite of exorcism.  In the end, I'm sure the demons continue their possession even if they are only fought down for a short period of time.

It's also worth considering the fact that demons are, of course, tricksters and liars.  They may pretend to be thwarted by a Protestant so as to steal souls away from the Church and to keep them in heresy.

Perfectly stated. 

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - maso - 01-19-2012

I remember two stories on that subject:
- Once a prot pastor redirected a possessed boy's mother to a priest because he knew that only the catholic priests can expel demons.
- Long ago two pastors were striving to free a possessed woman with their prayers. The Devil suddenly awoke in the poor woman's body laughing and saying with a guttural voice: "I, Satan, am a better believer in Christ than yourselves because I, Satan, I know that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Jesus."
They fled immediately scared to death.

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - SaintAndrew - 01-19-2012

Let me try a different theological point, where a Protestant exorcism attempt probably makes demons yawn.
In Genesis 3:15, God the Father puts an eternal hatred between Satan and TWO beings.
The Woman and the Seed.
Not just the Woman.
And not just the Seed.
Protestants aid Lucifer greatly, by turning their backs on the Woman.
The Virgin IS 50% of Satan's great adversary in Genesis 3:15.
She is HALF of the equation.
Jesus AND Mary.
Protestants bring Jesus into exorcisms, but NEVER Mary. And that's a huge relief to any demons wishing to possess a human body.
Protestants bring their vile attitude of the Holy Virgin with them wherever they go, so an exorcism with a King James version bible and no consideration of Mary is quite comforting for any Hell-sent warlock................................................................

[Image: 2291088760_a69ed49a92.jpg]

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Magdalene - 01-19-2012

Having studied this a bit, my take is that the Protestants are able to do what is better termed 'deliverance' ministry. 

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - Tim - 01-19-2012

I looked for this on the net and couldn't find it, so it's a story, unless someone can back it up.  After the Protestant uprising, a young woman, a Protestant became possessed. Her "ministers" tried to cast out the devil, but were not successful. She was taken to a priest who started the exorcism, which then turned into a competition between him and the "minister. Each took a turn at it, with no good results coming from the "minister's" prayers. Finally the priest was successful with the "minister" admitting he had no success in casting the demon out.

I'm not sure but this story could be an embelishment on the Hugenot girl possessed by Beelzabub. I'm not sure, because I couldn't find the source. 

This may have somethingto do with the limited success for the Protestants;

Mark 9: 37-40

[37] John answered him, saying: Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, who followeth not us, and we forbade him. [38] But Jesus said: Do not forbid him. For there is no man that doth a miracle in my name, and can soon speak ill of me. [39] For he that is not against you, is for you. [40] For whosoever shall give you to drink a cup of water in my name, because you belong to Christ: amen I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.

tim

Re: Protestant Exorcisms - The_Harlequin_King - 01-19-2012

(01-19-2012, 01:02 AM)Walty Wrote: It's also worth considering the fact that demons are, of course, tricksters and liars.  They may pretend to be thwarted by a Protestant so as to steal souls away from the Church and to keep them in heresy.

It's certainly a possibility. However, keep in mind that that's a self-serving sort of logic which some Protestants themselves use to explain the effectiveness of Catholic exorcism.