FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
help wanted: Catholic apologists - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: help wanted: Catholic apologists (/showthread.php?tid=52588)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

help wanted: Catholic apologists - Warrenton - 01-21-2012

The diocesan newspaper (Arlington (VA) Catholic Herald dated Jan. 19, 2012 reports that Rome seeks Catholic Apologists.  The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams.  Evidently, there was consternation that Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry bested their Catholic opponents in open debate on the question whether the Catholic Church is a "force for good," held in the U.K. in 2009.

Does anyone share the thought that Father Williams might commence his search in the "aquarium"?

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - Gerard - 01-22-2012

Chris Hitchens was bested by Dr. David Allen White several years ago and he did it so charitably an honestly, I think Hitchens couldnt' help but like Dr. White. 

I think we'd discussed the Hitchens and Fry vs. unprepared Catholics a while back.  I suggested Tom Woods, Charles Coulombe, Harry Crocker all Catholic historians who have great public speaking skills, that would be my "A" team.

Michael Voris could do very well in that setting.  The British guy  Michael Coren who wrote "Why Catholics are Right"  could also handle the likes of them. 

I'm sure Bishop Williamson could dust off his debating chops from his Cambridge years and decimate the modern atheists. 

It's a shame Fr. Vincent Micelli and Fr. Malachi Martin are no longer with us in body.  They would have been an amazing debate team.  (two old school Jesuits...sort of like legendary Jedi Knights) 

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - Phillipus Iacobus - 01-22-2012

(01-22-2012, 12:11 AM)Gerard Wrote: Chris Hitchens was bested by Dr. David Allen White several years ago and he did it so charitably an honestly, I think Hitchens couldnt' help but like Dr. White. 

I think we'd discussed the Hitchens and Fry vs. unprepared Catholics a while back.  I suggested Tom Woods, Charles Coulombe, Harry Crocker all Catholic historians who have great public speaking skills, that would be my "A" team.

Michael Voris could do very well in that setting.  The British guy  Michael Coren who wrote "Why Catholics are Right"  could also handle the likes of them. 

I'm sure Bishop Williamson could dust off his debating chops from his Cambridge years and decimate the modern atheists. 

It's a shame Fr. Vincent Micelli and Fr. Malachi Martin are no longer with us in body.  They would have been an amazing debate team.  (two old school Jesuits...sort of like legendary Jedi Knights) 

Sounds like a dream team!

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - Doce Me - 01-22-2012

(01-21-2012, 10:11 PM)Warrenton Wrote: The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams. 

Does anyone share the thought that Father Williams might commence his search in the "aquarium"?

I don't suppose they would want SSPXers.

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - Phillipus Iacobus - 01-22-2012

(01-22-2012, 12:20 AM)Doce Me Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:11 PM)Warrenton Wrote: The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams. 

Well, it does say Catholic apologists. Bp Williamson would do a great job, as would, for example, Fr. Joseph Pfeiffer.

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - Warrenton - 01-22-2012

(01-22-2012, 12:20 AM)Doce Me Wrote: I don't suppose they would want SSPXers.

Any port in a storm!

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - GottmitunsAlex - 01-22-2012

(01-22-2012, 12:27 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 12:20 AM)Doce Me Wrote:

Well, it does say Catholic apologists. Bp Williamson would do a great job, as would, for example, Fr. Joseph Pfeiffer.
THIS.

BTW, Fry and Hitchens did beat Cardinal Arinze. What would anyone expect?  Arinze (at the time) was very outspoken against the TLM.
If they were to have gone against a Bishop Williamson, Cardinal Burke or Bishop Athanasius Schneider, the atheists would have been wiped out.
Here is a snippet of what Card. Arinze said about the people that requested the TLM back.

Re: help wanted: Catholic apologists - TrentCath - 01-22-2012

(01-21-2012, 10:11 PM)Warrenton Wrote: The diocesan newspaper (Arlington (VA) Catholic Herald dated Jan. 19, 2012 reports that Rome seeks Catholic Apologists.  The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams.  Evidently, there was consternation that Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry bested their Catholic opponents in open debate on the question whether the Catholic Church is a "force for good," held in the U.K. in 2009.

I'd start at Econe  :LOL:

But seriously probably, I can't believe Stephen Fry is a good debater though, I thought he was more of an actor?

(01-22-2012, 03:35 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:11 PM)Warrenton Wrote: The diocesan newspaper (Arlington (VA) Catholic Herald dated Jan. 19, 2012 reports that Rome seeks Catholic Apologists.  The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams.  Evidently, there was consternation that Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry bested their Catholic opponents in open debate on the question whether the Catholic Church is a "force for good," held in the U.K. in 2009.

I'd start at Econe  :LOL:

But seriously probably, I can't believe Stephen Fry is a good debater though, I thought he was more of an actor?
He is not a good debater. But he memorizes his lines very well. (And is a drama queen. And is a sodomi....um..whoa, almost slipped there. He is a person with same sex attraction and is very vocal about it.

Here is the link to the first part of the debate..what a sham.
(You'll find parts 2-4 somewhere in there.)