FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The Highest Study - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The Highest Study (/showthread.php?tid=52688)

Pages: 1 2

The Highest Study - alphonsusjr - 01-25-2012

Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ, Book I, ch. 1:

"'He who follows Me, walks not in darkness,' says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus Christ."

Besides the Bible and this, what book have you found to be the best in facilitating this highest of all studies?

Re: The Highest Study - TrentCath - 01-28-2012

(01-25-2012, 09:11 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ, Book I, ch. 1:

"'He who follows Me, walks not in darkness,' says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus Christ."

Besides the Bible and this, what book have you found to be the best in facilitating this highest of all studies?

The Devotion to the Sacred Heart by Fr Croiset, S.J

Re: The Highest Study - Richard C - 01-28-2012

(01-25-2012, 09:11 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ, Book I, ch. 1:

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

The way of Divine Love by Sr Josefa Menendez

Divine Intimacy by Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdelene O.C.D.

Re: The Highest Study - drummerboy - 01-28-2012

Cassian's Conferences: I'm just starting to read them, but given these were a must for every monastery library, that Aquinas read them everyday, and St Domininc and St Benedict read them widely....you get the idea :)

I found Fr. Croiset's book very confusing.  I'm reading St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle; have to recommend that.

(01-28-2012, 01:27 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I found Fr. Croiset's book very confusing.  I'm reading St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle; have to recommend that.

Fr Croisets book? Confusing?  :O

Re: The Highest Study - drummerboy - 01-28-2012

(01-28-2012, 05:05 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(01-28-2012, 01:27 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I found Fr. Croiset's book very confusing.  I'm reading St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle; have to recommend that.

To be objective, I did read the book rather young.  However, it seems that the essence of the Sacred Heart devotion is simply a fervant devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and to Christ's love for mankind.  And Fr. Croiset's book throws in stuff about a fervant devotion to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and St. Colombiere and St Aloysius Gonzage are necessary too.  And I cannot abide books that say you must have a devotion to this saint, and then tell nice things, trying to make a sentimental appeal about how they loved God so much, and Ohh, if we but imitate them....as if mankind cannot love God and attain salvation if it does not pray to a certain saint.  This attitude is far too prevelant in Catholic literature.

Re: The Highest Study - ecclesiastes - 01-28-2012

Dom Marmion's Le Christ, vie de l'âme, Le Christ dans ses Mystères, Le Christ, idéal du moine, and Le Christ, idéal du prêtre.

They have been translated into English as Christ, the Life of the Soul, Christ in His Mysteries, Christ the Ideal of the Monk, and Christ the Ideal of the Priest, but they are hard to find.

(01-28-2012, 05:46 PM)drummerboy Wrote:
(01-28-2012, 05:05 PM)TrentCath Wrote:

To be objective, I did read the book rather young.  However, it seems that the essence of the Sacred Heart devotion is simply a fervant devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and to Christ's love for mankind.  And Fr. Croiset's book throws in stuff about a fervant devotion to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and St. Colombiere and St Aloysius Gonzage are necessary too.  And I cannot abide books that say you must have a devotion to this saint, and then tell nice things, trying to make a sentimental appeal about how they loved God so much, and Ohh, if we but imitate them....as if mankind cannot love God and attain salvation if it does not pray to a certain saint.  This attitude is far too prevelant in Catholic literature.

Yes one does tend to find that catholics like to talk about saints, seeing as they were incredibly holy, in heaven and a good example to imitate :P

Re: The Highest Study - Starry Plough - 01-28-2012

Life of Christ- Fulton Sheen