FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The Bishops and the Obama administration - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The Bishops and the Obama administration (/showthread.php?tid=52722)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Bishops and the Obama administration - TraditionalistThomas - 01-26-2012

Dear brethren in Christ,

I'm quite ignorant on the subject of American politics. However, seeing as Obama is the most anti-life and anti-Catholic President that has ever been elected into office, and following his recent attack on the Catholic Church and religious liberty, am I granted the liberty to ask this question:

Why don't the Bishops excommunicate, publicly, every Catholic in the Democrat party that advocate an agenda that is contrary to Catholic moral teaching and doctrine? And secondly, why don't the Bishops, as a body, publicly announce that Catholics cannot vote for Obama?

Am I out of line here, or is this a reasonable question to ask?

Blessings,

TraditionalistThomas.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - Heinrich - 01-26-2012

You are not out of line, as much as appears, but why do you ask questions you already know the answers to?

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - TraditionalistThomas - 01-27-2012

Greetings,

I was wondering what kind of impediment was possibly stopping them from doing so.

Blessings,

TraditionalistThomas.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - verenaerin - 01-27-2012

(01-27-2012, 09:41 PM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: Greetings,

I was wondering what kind of impediment was possibly stopping them from doing so.

Blessings,

TraditionalistThomas.

Human Respect

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - DrBombay - 01-27-2012

Because most everything the bishops say is ignored by the majority of Catholics anyway.  They have no, as in zero, moral authority left to make pronouncements on anything of consequence.  That ship sailed long ago when it was discovered so many bishops were guilty of hiding known pedophiles.  So, if the bishops tried to excommunicate Catholic politicians and direct Catholics on which candidate to vote for, the ignoring would cease long enough for Catholics to laugh hysterically at them and jeer, and then they would go back to ignoring them.  It's better to pretend you have power than to try to exercise it and discover you really have none.  Q.E.D.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - verenaerin - 01-27-2012

(01-27-2012, 09:49 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Because most everything the bishops say is ignored by the majority of Catholics anyway.  They have no, as in zero, moral authority left to make pronouncements on anything of consequence.  That ship sailed long ago when it was discovered so many bishops were guilty of hiding known pedophiles.  So, if the bishops tried to excommunicate Catholic politicians and direct Catholics on which candidate to vote for, the ignoring would cease long enough for Catholics to laugh hysterically at them and jeer, and then they would go back to ignoring them.  It's better to pretend you have power than to try to exercise it and discover you really have none.  Q.E.D.

Word.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - 3Sanctus - 01-27-2012

We also have to keep in mind the laws with regards to separation of religion and government.  The unfortunate truth is were this tactic of publicly calling-out rogue Catholic politicians to be implemented, it would only be a matter of time before this was decried as a violation of the separation of church and state.  While I seriously doubt this is the primary reason for many (if any) bishops' refusal to act on the matter, if the Church's leadership were to be too successful in this regard I'm sure the liberal American government would eventually paint it as undue interference and attempt to use this as an excuse to take away the privileges currently enjoyed by the Church as a religious organization.

Plus...if the media and society in general already enjoy attacking the Church so much, imagine how much worse those attacks would become if the Church began to threaten the modern values of the people who run things in this country.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - Adam_Michael - 01-27-2012

If they take this stand they may lose their Tax Exempt Status.  We couldn’t have that.  Maintaining a Tax Exempt Status is a requirement for salvation you know.

Anyways … I heard today from an “insider” that the USCCB is “gearing up for a united, concerted effort to get the word out and to organize a protest” to try and stop the HHS Mandate.

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - 3Sanctus - 01-27-2012

(01-27-2012, 11:06 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: If they take this stand they may lose their Tax Exempt Status.  We couldn’t have that.  Maintaining a Tax Exempt Status is a requirement for salvation you know.

While the institutional Church should not bend to the whim of modern society or any government (sound familiar?), we should certainly seek to put-off further attacks against the faithful and the Church as long as possible.  Being tax exempt in-and-of-itself is hardly the biggest worry - having the Church reclassified as some sort of awkward lobby/PAC could change quite a bit about how the faith is expressed in America.  It's already only a matter of time until "diversity" is pushed on the priesthood and religious life, the last thing we need to do is play into their hands in a way that would help make their case that the Church needs to be hemmed-in legally and "taught" how to be "tolerant".

Re: The Bishops and the Obama administration - kingtheoden - 01-27-2012

I think the hierarchy is legitimately protesting this.  What spurred this sudden concern for the Faith, we don't know (there is probably many things in the background we don't know about) but it does appear to me that this is going to be a real effort to defeat the mandatory birth control and abortive services mandate.

The problem is that the Church's leaders are not ready yet to behave like traditional Catholic leaders: They need to excommunicate every Catholic in Congress and the Executive Branch, personally, by individual name, with the full Rite of Excommunication St. Thomas Becket style.  Furthermore, the hierarchy has to make clear that they no longer fear the tax exemption loss or loss in federal revenues.

If they truly take up the mantle of the Faith with full gusto, the Church will win a lot of converts and make up some of the lost revenues in additional contributions.  

We'll see how it plays out and I will certainly demonstrate if the Bishop says 'We want you, the faithful, to demonstrate on this date.'  But realistically speaking, I expect they will wrap this protest in Americanism (religious liberty, pluralism etc.) and it won't succeed.

It looks like politically that Obama is going to get his 48% win because the GOP establishment, for whatever reason, hates Newt Gingrich more than it wants to win the White House.  And Gordon Gekko does not stand a remote chance because a) the 'Reagan Democrat' will not vote for a greased back fiscal chop shop chiefdon b) a whole slate of Protestant Evangelicals will not vote for a paganistic Mormon c) the half million or so traditionalist voters are unlikely to vote for a man who gave a personalized, impassioned defense of abortion ten years ago.  Watching Romney practically tear up talking about back alley abortions, I have ZERO reason to trust him and every reason to suspect he would only cosmetically change things.