FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The real St. Francis of Assisi - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The real St. Francis of Assisi (/showthread.php?tid=52845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Mithrandylan - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 05:58 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 05:47 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 05:34 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I think I'm beginning to undertand. Women can be sarcastic and throw it in your face, but men are not allowed it because it is unbecoming a gentleman. Why not the same high standards for ladies?

Treating men and women the same is a feminist tactic.

Shhh dont say that or someone will start crying and say your calling her a feminist. That word is officially banned like the "N" word or other "F" word since it makes people cry. :wench:

If you look at my posting history on threads with Iolanthe, I am overwhelmingly "on her side."  I don't think she's a feminist at all, and I think that she has some great insight to some problems that keep popping up for trad men vis a vis women.  I also agree when she says that she doesn't think many people on here have ever even talked to or met a feminist.

I responded to Adam's question (which was obviously not serious, I think) because I haven't read through the whole thread.  But men and women are very different where it matters, and that is social interaction (among, of course, many other categories).  Not all, but as a general rule.  Charity and tact demands us to acknowledge this difference and use it when we are speaking with each other, especially over the internet.

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Guardian - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 05:17 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 05:08 PM)Guardian Wrote: Let me repeat.  I don't think your a feminist, I don't even know you!  I just didn't like your tone and wanted to give you a bit of friendly advice.  I thought that your statement could be interpreted a certain way and since you clearly didn't want to convey the way i thought it could be interpreted I wanted to just let you know that.  Maybe I should've just minded my own business.  Anyway, again I will pray for you and hopefully we can end on relatively good terms. 

Yes, you should have minded your own business. Not liking my tone, which was not directed at you, does not give you the right to offer "friendly advice" about how I should be different. You completely overstepped, which is why I got offended. If you hadn't done that, we would never have had this exchange. You created the problem; my reaction did not create this problem.

Please keep in mind that you do not have the authority to correct anyone else's tone. Not mine or anyone else's except maybe your children's. Think twice next time before offering corrective behavior towards anyone whose tone you happen not to like.

Edit: I overstepped with this comment and I'm sorry.  What I wrote was not gentleman-like at all, I just am very frustrated regarding this entire exchange. But thats no excuse for losing my cool.  So again, I apologize. 

(02-01-2012, 05:22 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 04:51 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 03:20 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The same thing for Iolanthe. She's been around Fish Eaters for quite some time too. She attends the TLM and has priests in her family. Although very opinionated and occasionally coming across as bitter when it comes to male-female topics, a healthy benefit of the doubt and sheer courtesy should be shown to her. Simply accusing her of being a feminist, even if in a veiled manner, is also rash and unmerited and does not accomplish anything but to foment antagonism.

All disagreements with fellow sisters in Christ should be dealt with in the most gentlemanly manner possible.

Ok, now I'm mad.   This is a bunch of bull.  The fact that she has been here a while, goes to the TLM, and has Priests in her family is completely irrelevant.  There was ZERO need for the hostility towards me.  I did NOT accuse her being a feminist and was gentlemanly the entire time.   Anyone who thinks otherwise should go back and reread the exchange.  The only controversial statement I made was merely pointing out that her TONE could be interpreted a certain way.  Whether it was sarcasm, arrogance or she was just plain annoyed; I find in debates a hostile tone is not constructive.  I made it clear I was not accusing her and even pointed to the parts where I agreed with. There was no reason for her to fly off on me like that and the fact that she is bitter, sensitive and takes offense easily when it comes to this topic does not give her a free pass to say whatever she wants. 

I didn't have a hostile tone in my original remark on here. I just made a point bluntly like I always do in these issues. It was not directed at an individual. Now you're insulting me by calling me bitter, sensitive, and easily offended.

YOU are the one who thinks you can say whatever you want. YOU are the one who thinks you can correct other peoples' tone. YOU are the one who was too sensitive, and who reacted by basically trying to silence me. And now you're trying to make it look like my reaction is the problem, which is a typical gaslighting move often used by men who are too arrogant to admit they said something they shouldn't have said.

I fold; I've had enough.  You are being overly sensitive and overreacting.  Maybe I'm the only one who sees that you have a bias and are not willing to listen to my argument much less respond without attacking me.  I don't want to say anything that I'll regret so I see no point in continuing this.  Please lets drop it. 

For my part I'm sorry for butting in and offending you, and also for saying anything uncharitable in the process.  As I have said before you are in my prayers and I hope you will pray for me. 

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Vetus Ordo - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 05:34 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I think I'm beginning to undertand. Women can be sarcastic and throw it in your face, but men are not allowed it because it is unbecoming a gentleman. Why not the same high standards for ladies?

The expectations towards both genders are different.

Men can be sarcastic, especially among themselves, but we shouldn't treat women the same way we treat men. A certain benevolent paternalism is advisable in these exchanges.

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Mithrandylan - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 07:17 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

The expectations towards both genders are different.

Men can be sarcastic, especially among themselves, but we shouldn't treat women the same way we treat men. A certain benevolent paternalism is advisable in these exchanges.

Bingo.

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Someone1776 - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 07:05 PM)Guardian Wrote: You must be a horrible person to live with if this is how you treat people who DARE to disagree with you.  God Bless your husband.

That's classy.  Sign of a true scholar and gentleman. You're in no way overly sensitive or overreacting.  Yup.

Note for those with reading comprehension issues: I am being sarcastic.   

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - The Curt Jester - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 07:20 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Note for those with reading comprehension issues: I am being sarcastic.   

You're still being sarcastic here. 

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - JayneK - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 07:20 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 07:05 PM)Guardian Wrote: [deleted]

That's classy.  Sign of a true scholar and gentleman.

And now that you've quoted it, he can't just edit it out.  Guardian was provoked, lost his cool and then apologized.  I've done that and I'm pretty sure that you have too.

I suggest that both you and he edit his comment from your posts.

Re: The real St. Francis of Assisi - Iolanthe - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 07:11 PM)Guardian Wrote: For my part I'm sorry for butting in

There it is! I forgive you.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it? It gets easier with practice.

Can we talk about St. Francis and how Michael Voris is deeply confused now?

Post edited.  Thank you for the reminder Someone1776.