FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Enter the Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Forum: Zionism, Jewish-Christian Issues, Fundies, Dispies, etc. Archive I (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter (/showthread.php?tid=530)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - Historian - 07-13-2005

Here is a short video put out by PETA (yes, I know, they're nuts) which documents the absolutely unnecessary, unspeakable cruelty which animals must endure so that "Jews" may eat "holy" food.

Please watch this, and pass it on to others.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=agri_short

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - Historian - 07-13-2005

Michael A. Hoffman offers a DVD which documents the horror of the kosher food racket in depth.

http://www.revisionisthistory.org/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=966120.29457*yj1ce0&product=DVDs

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - Historian - 07-14-2005

http://www.ukar.org/ronen02.html

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - VoxClamantis - 07-14-2005

The AgriProcessors Slaughterhouse in that first video is the same spoken of in the book "Postville" that I've written about a few times Paperback ; Hardcover ; ISBN: 0156013363) -- a book that goes very, very far in explaining "anti-semitism." It was written by Stephen Bloom, a secular Jew, and I describe it in the "Jewish-Catholic Relations" section like this:
Quote: The true reasons for "anti-semitism," aside from usury, are accidentally explained in "Postville," this fascinating non-fictional work (written by Stephen G. Bloom, secular Jew, by the way) about what happens when a group of Lubavitcher Jews moves into a small Protestant town in Iowa to open a meat processing plant. You will never understand Historical "anti-semitism" until you understand the dynamics described in this book, understand the nature of usury and fractional reserve banking, and read what the post-Temple Jewish religion (Pharisaism) teaches.
It's a very easy-to-read, fascinating book about the clash of two cultures. I found it at my local libary, BTW, so check with yours to see if it's available!

More on Jewish Ritual Slaughter. From http://www.meat.org/kosher.htm:

<FONT size=4>WHEN KOSHER ISN'T KOSHER</FONT>

from John Robbins' book "Diet For A New America"

You may think, when you hear a phrase like "ritual slaughter," or "kosher slaughter," that this refers to a better kind of killing. You may think, as I did, that the act is done with respect for the dignity of the animal, and concern that it suffer as little as possible. You may think, as I did, that kosher ways of slaughter are more compassionate than "ordinary" slaughterhouse deaths.
This was, doubtless, the original purpose at the time when this code of slaughter was conceived, and its standards probably produced the most humane and hygienic form of killing then available. But today, to kill the animals this way produces something far removed from the original intent of these laws. Orthodox Jewish and Moslem dietary laws forbid consumption of meat from animals which are not "healthy and moving" when killed. Religious orthodoxy today interprets this to mean that kosher meat must come from animals who have not been stunned before being killed. They must be fully conscious when it's done. Further, in order to qualify for the kosher stamp of approval, the animal must have its throat slit in a particular way. The consequences of this interpretation of kosher slaughtering are a travesty for the poor creatures involved.

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">You see, the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 requires, for sanitary reasons, that no slaughtered animal may fall in the blood of a previously slaughtered animal. </FONT>What this means, in practice, is that animals must be killed while suspended from a conveyer belt, rather than while lying on the floor.

Stringing up an animal before delivering the final blow doesn't cause it any pain if it has already been rendered unconscious. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">But when an animal must be conscious when killed, as kosher regulations stipulate, and also must have its throat cut in the particular way kosher law requires, the animal is forced to undergo an enormous amount of extra pain</FONT>:

Quote: "Animals being ritually slaughtered in the United States are shackeld around a rear leg, hoisted into the air, and then hang, fully conscious, upside down on the conveyer belt for between two and five minutes-and occasionally much longer if something goes wrong on the killing line before the slaughterer makes his cut. "

It is difficult for us to imagine what these poor animals must suffer. The cows are exhausted and terrified to begin with.

A heavy iron chain is clamped around one of their rear legs, then they are jerked off their feet and hung upside down by a single leg. Now cows are by nature as peaceful a creature as you could ever hope to find, but this situation is too much for even these most mellow of animals. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">They are provoked into hysteria</FONT>.

Quote: "The animal upside down with ruptured joints and often a broken leg, twists frantically in pain and terror, so that it must be gripped by the neck or have a clamp inserted in its nostrils to enable the slaughterer to kill the animal with a single stroke, as religious law prescribes."

In actual practice, kosher deaths have become a hideous perversion of the original intent of the dietary laws; the procedure adds incalculably to the agony they must suffer.

You may think that today, because relatively few people "eat kosher," only a very small percentage of animals would be "killed kosher". You may also think that even including the non-religious people who seek out kosher meat, mistakenly believing it to be better, this still wouldn't amount to a significant percentage. And finally you are probably quite sure that if you buy meat that isn't labeled kosher, you are certainly not consuming meat from animals killed in this fashion.

But, I'm sorry to say, you'd be wrong on each account. You see, for meat to be passed as kosher by Orthodox Rabbis, it is not enough for the animal merely to have been conscious when killed and to have its throat slit in the required way. A kosher Jew is also forbidden to consume the blood of an animal, so the veins and arteries must be cut out of kosher meat. In many parts of a cow, however, removing the blood vessels is very costly, and so the meat packers have resolved this difficulty by removing the blood vessels only from those parts of the animal from which they can be cut out inexpensively. Thus, even though the whole animal was killed kosher, only these parts are then sold as kosher meat. In other words, there's a lot of meat left over. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">This means that a great deal of the meat in our supermarkets and restaurants, while not labeled kosher, is in fact from animals hoisted and slaughtered according to kosher regulations. One authority states:</FONT>
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">"It has been estimated that over 90% of the animals slaughtered in New Jersey - whose slaughterhouses supply New York City as well as their own state - are slaughtered by the ritual method. "</FONT>

Another report states:

Quote: "Although less than 5% of the flesh in the United States is bought kosher, as much as 500% of the animals are slaughtered as such. "
Quote:Vox: I imagine that's a typo with an extra zero and that 50% is meant.

There is a debate going on now among orthodox Jews as to whether to allow animals killed by more humane methods to be considered as kosher. In Sweden, at least, the Orthodox Rabbis have come to allow animals to be stunned before slaughter. I like to think there is some possibility that the American Rabbis will follow suit. Though kosher procedures take the cake when it comes to cruelty, even under the best of conditions slaughtering is no day at the beach.

<P style="MARGIN: 0px" align=center>[End Article]

Vox: Note that all of these Jewish laws pertaining to "shechita," or ritual slaughter, are NOT from Torah; they are rabbinic, Talmudic. From the Jewish Encyclopedia:

Quote: The ritual slaughtering of animals. While the practise that prevailed among the nations of antiquity other than the Hebrews, of cutting off a limb from a living animal and eating it, is condemned in several passages in the Bible (see Cruelty to Animals; Dietary Laws), <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">no definite mode of slaughter is prescribed</FONT>. In connection with the preparation of an animal for sacrifice the term "sha?a?" is used (Lev. i. 5, 11; iii. 2, 8, 13); but this denotes merely that the animal is to be killed, and <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc">not how it is to be slaughtered</FONT>.

(BTW, the ritual slaughterer is known as a "shochet," "schochet," "shokhet," etc.)

The Christian view on cruelty toward animals -- from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:  ... Christian teaching and practice from the beginning resect in a general way the Scriptural ideal of righteousness which is expressed in the words: "The just regardeth the lives of his beasts: but the bowels of the wicked are cruel" (Proverbs 12:10). The hagiological literature of monastic life in the Middle Ages, which so largely formed and guided the moral sentiment of the Christian world, as Lecky sets forth with ample evidence, "represents one of the most striking efforts made in Christendom to inculcate a feeling of kindness and pity towards the brute creation" (<I>History of European Morals from Augustus to Charlemagne</I>, II, 161 sqq.). This considerate feeling was a characteristic of many holy personages, even before St. Francis of Assisi and some of his followers carried it to a degree that seems almost incredible.
<B>The Scholastics</B> The scholastic theologians condemn the infliction of needless suffering on animals, chiefly because of the injurious effects on the character of the perpetrator. Thus St. Thomas, in his <I>Summa Contra Gentiles</I> (Book II, 112), after refuting the error that it is not lawful to take the lives of brutes, explains the import of the above-mentioned texts of Scripture. He says that these prohibitions are issued either <BLOCKQUOTE>lest anyone by exercising cruelty towards brutes may become cruel also towards men; or, because an injury to brutes may result in loss to the owner, or on account of some symbolic signification.
Elsewhere (<I>Summa Theologica</I> I-II:102:6 ad 8um) he states that God's purpose in recommending kind treatment of the brute creation is to dispose men to pity and tenderness for one another. While the scholastics rest their condemnation of cruelty to animals on its demoralizing influence, their general teaching concerning the nature of man's rights and duties furnishes principles which have but to be applied in order to establish the direct and essential sinfulness of cruelty to the animal world, irrespective of the results of such conduct on the character of those who practise it.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

This is absolutely disgusting.  I had no idea that this went on.  This gruesome slaughter of cattle is certainly not as bad as the slaughter of unborn children, but it is easier to see how we could have gotten to slaughtering children if we allow such cruel treatment of animals.  I'm no vegetarian, but I think I'd rather be one than eat something that was "ritually" slaughtered. What a euphemism!

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - HMiS - 07-14-2005

1. This is Rabbinic teaching.
2. The Old Testament sacrifices were done by cutting through the animal's throat, which would bleed to death. This was not pleasant to see either, but it was done. The blood was poured out into pitchers while the animal was still living. It would loose conscience rapidly.

3. Kosher food in Old Testament ways is just the Mosaic Food Law and the interdiction on eating from a still living animal (ancient 'practice' of Hittites etc.). These slaughter practices are rabbinic, but not intrinsically anti-Biblical. An animal should however not suffer. In Catholic moral theology it would be in itself a venial sin to let an animal suffer, but it might become a mortal sin, this depends on whether the sufferings and cruelties done to the animal (which has no immortal soul) would deafen one's conscience concerning violence in general.

4. The allegations against Kosher slaughtering seem exaggerated and should not be restricted to Jewish butchers only. Islamic butchers slaughter animals in this way too. As said, I think it should not be tolerated as in the pictures, but this suffering is not directly prescribed and variously interpreted by Jewish butchers world wide. It is nonsense to use this against Jews or Rabbis in general, as doing such, would be like holding every Roman responsible for the ancient pagan practice of eating living cuckens from their egg etc. It seems to me to be just another weak argument of good people who noticed something is wrong with Rabbinism, but who have not the solid foundation of Christ's true Church, the Catholic Church, to counter post-temple Judaism in a decent way.

Witness the horror of Kosher slaughter - PinoyMonk - 07-14-2005

Maurice Pinay,

That's pretty bad.  I must admit that I wasn't in the mood to even watch the whole thing.  Usually, I don't have too weak of a stomach (American upbringing, y'know), but this was just bad.  The video was small, so one doesn't see a whole lot, but even the text bothered me.  [Image: sad.gif]

Pinoy Monk

HMiS Wrote:1. This is Rabbinic teaching.

Uh, yeah, that's why I wrote: " Note that all of these Jewish laws pertaining to "shechita," or ritual slaughter, are NOT from Torah; they are rabbinic, Talmudic."

Quote:2. The Old Testament sacrifices were done by cutting through the animal's throat, which would bleed to death. This was not pleasant to see either, but it was done. The blood was poured out into pitchers while the animal was still living. It would loose conscience rapidly.

The animals who were offered as religious offerings were ritually slaughtered, not every snack. And they weren't thrown around, stepped on, subjected to having their tracheas torn out, and other such things that you can see in that film.

Quote:3. Kosher food in Old Testament ways is just the Mosaic Food Law and the interdiction on eating from a still living animal (ancient 'practice' of Hittites etc.). These slaughter practices are rabbinic, but not intrinsically anti-Biblical. An animal should however not suffer. In Catholic moral theology it would be in itself a venial sin to let an animal suffer, but it might become a mortal sin, this depends on whether the sufferings and cruelties done to the animal (which has no immortal soul) would deafen one's conscience concerning violence in general.

Causing needless cruelty to animals is unbliblical (Proverbs 12:10). It is against Catholic teaching, and mean.

Quote:4. The allegations against Kosher slaughtering seem exaggerated and should not be restricted to Jewish butchers only. Islamic butchers slaughter animals in this way too.

I don't know of any Islamic butchers or any towns in Iowa that were taken over by Arab meat processors. I do know about Agriprocessors, the largest glatt kosher slaughterhouse in the world and the only one in the U.S. certified by Israeli rabbinic authority. We Americans are not subjected to much -- if ANY -- meat that's been processed by Islamic butchers, but 50% of what we buy from our local groceries does come from ritualistically slaughtered beasts whose deaths were certified "kosher" by rabbis. I don't like that one bit.

Quote:As said, I think it should not be tolerated as in the pictures, but this suffering is not directly prescribed and variously interpreted by Jewish butchers world wide. It is nonsense to use this against Jews or Rabbis in general, as doing such, would be like holding every Roman responsible for the ancient pagan practice of eating living cuckens from their egg etc.

Well, thank God I read your post in time. I was just about to go off, ax in hand, to find the nearest Jew so I could grill him on this horrid practice.

Quote:
It seems to me to be just another weak argument of good people who noticed something is wrong with Rabbinism, but who have not the solid foundation of Christ's true Church, the Catholic Church, to counter post-temple Judaism in a decent way.

What's the "weak argument"? What's "the argument" at all? Animals are being treated in a needlessly cruel manner and Americans are unkowingly supporting it by buying kosher meat. Do you think Americans should support an industry that kills animals in this way?

Do you believe the facts presented to you about ritual slaughter in the largest glatt kosher meat plant in America? Do you believe Catholic teaching about the proper treatment of animals?

Quote:The allegations against Kosher slaughtering seem exaggerated and should not be restricted to Jewish butchers only.

Whether or not it seems exaggerated to you doesn't make it so. Watch the video. This whole topic is about ritual slaughter of animals at Agriprocessors, the largest kosher slaughterhouse in the world. Naturally, the comments in this thread have been "restricted to Jewish butchers", as that is what the topic is about.

What intrigues me is the fact that I have seen nothing about this in the mainstream news (although I may have missed it), whereas if this had been a normal everyday run-of-the-mill slaughterhouse that had nothing to do with the Jews, it would have been all over the news. Much like that horrible scandal regarding how Tyson Foods was inhumanely slaughtering chickens. That dominated almost every newscast I watched for days on end. Haven't heard a peep about this. [Image: dazed053.gif]