FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Divisions in Your Family? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Divisions in Your Family? (/showthread.php?tid=53309)

Pages: 1 2 3

Divisions in Your Family? - alphonsusjr - 02-14-2012

As the battle lines between those of the world and those of Christ, between neopaganism and genuine Catholicism, in short, between the City of Man and the City of God become ever clearer, what divisions have occured in your family because of it? In my case, for instance, as the only Catholic in the family, I'm met with indifferent stares when I speak of the Incarnation as the fundamental event of history, around which all of history revolves. Nor can they understand my categorical rejection of abortion and contraception. Much less do they understand the catastrophic importance of Vatican II for Catholics and neopagans alike. Or my total disdain for the nightly television lineup. There's more.

What about you?

"Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword. For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's enemies shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me."

-Mt. 10:34-36

"I am come to cast fire on the earth; and what will I, but that it be kindled?...Think ye, that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, no; but separation. For there shall be from henceforth five in one house divided: three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against his father, the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother, the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

-Luke 12:49; 51-53

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - Vetus Ordo - 02-14-2012

My entire family, close and extended, is made up of cultural Catholics and benevolent secularists, with some very few exceptions.

That's what God saw fit for me. Praised be He!

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - Traditional Guy - 02-14-2012

My entire family is Protestant.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - onosurf - 02-15-2012

Great thread.  The more traditional and learned I become, the more alien I become.  I pray about this a lot and think about how I can methodically bring my family/friends along rather than hammering them with a club, which is hard to resist (as they brag about encouraging their kids to sin).  Hammering them will turn them off instantly.

BTW, there are some really great threads in here that have been helpful.  Many thanks.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - The Dying Flutchman - 02-15-2012

My Dads family were brought up Lutheran and none of them are religious anymore except for one uncle who is a neo-pagan. My Moms family were Catholic but quit after the Vatican II Mass came in. I am the only person who really practices any religion in my immediate family. As far as my extended family on My Moms side goes they were all Catholic but most turned evangelical after Vatican II, just one of my Grandmas sisters continued to practice. And I am told we are in a new springtime and Vatican II was a new Pentecost.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - The Curt Jester - 02-15-2012

I'd say of close relations (Aunts, uncles, cousins, immediate family) that it's about 50% traditional Catholic, 25% Novus Ordo Catholic, and 25% Protestant/Not religious.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - ResiduumRevertetur - 02-15-2012

Unfortunately, I don't have much contact with most of my family anymore, but there's only one other practicing Catholic left in my family, a nephew who came into the Church about two years ago when he got married. Yay! A niece that I was pretty close to asked me once who decorated my house, Carrie's mother? I think she meant it to be funny. I've noticed that things that we find beautiful and inspiring, like crucifixes and statues, strike some people as creepy. Sad.  There were times when she'd be respectful of my religion, too, though. As far as I know, she still has the green scapular I gave her. She doesn't really keep in touch any more, but my door is always open.  My sister is fallen away, but is still totally supportive of me and we're close.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - GeorgeT - 02-15-2012

Thankfully, all of my family are practicing Catholics. My brother is really antagonistic to the TLM, though. I guess it's not a big deal if he's talking about what he perceives as Mass preference. Problem is, he throws out alot of pious devotional activity along with his "Mass preference." But I guess he is still fairly pious. We don't keep in touch since he impersonated my wife's estranged relatives on this site.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - Mithrandylan - 02-15-2012

(02-15-2012, 04:12 AM)GeorgeT Wrote: Thankfully, all of my family are practicing Catholics. My brother is really antagonistic to the TLM, though. I guess it's not a big deal if he's talking about what he perceives as Mass preference. Problem is, he throws out alot of pious devotional activity along with his "Mass preference." But I guess he is still fairly pious. We don't keep in touch since he impersonated my wife's estranged relatives on this site.

I'm not going to ask, but that sure deserves a lolwut.

Hope things get better.

Re: Divisions in Your Family? - Aragon - 02-15-2012

My entire family are agnostics. It hasn't caused any strong arguments as we tend not to get onto controversial topics like abortion or gay marriage. My sister doesn't understand why I do what I do, I think my mother believes it's a weird quirk, my grandfather is happy that I'm religious, and my grandmother is annoyed that I'm no longer "CofE" (even though she hasn't set foot inside a church for decades).

I'm pretty sure my sister thinks I'm wasting my life by going to Mass, reading religious books, thinking about religious questions, fasting, and denying myself in order to follow Christ. Once we were talking about how even if I got divorced I wouldn't get re-married. "Yes you would, I can't imagine anyone doing anything that inconvenient for something like religion". She's the classic liberal who can't imagine doing anything for a greater cause because, for her, there's nothing greater than the individual ego.

I think it has had a positive effect on my Mum. When I was still living with her she once drove me 40 minutes to Mass so I didn't have to catch the tram in the rain. She's reading Brideshead Revisited at the moment and once used the phrase "I'm praying that..." in relation to a family problem. Now, that's a common phrase that doesn't necessarily mean she was actually praying, but I'm almost certain she gave me a quick glance when she said it.

Similar reactions from my secular friends as with my sister. No real fights or divisions, they all just think I'm really weird  :LOL: I've lost a few friends since becoming a Catholic because of the massive ideological and moral gap that opened between us.